SteveB

Default Nitric acid

So, where does a guy buy some nitric acid? I live in a large city. Where
would I go?

Steve

Steve Smith

I bought some from the university once, long ago. You should be able to
find a chemical supplier in town.
If not, try Hach Chemical:
http://www.hach.com/
They always used to be pretty friendly to small orders.

Steve

SteveB wrote:

So, where does a guy buy some nitric acid? I live in a large city. Where
would I go?

Steve

AZOTIC

"SteveB" wrote in message
So, where does a guy buy some nitric acid? I live in a large city. Where
would I go?

Steve

Phone book, check listings = chemicals.

Best Regards
Tom.

Pete & sheri

Ask the druggist. I used to get stuff like that at the local drug store
when I was a kid (60 years ago). As a matter of fact, I was probably
the "poster kid" for why they won't sell all that stuff to kids anymore.
One day I bought:
-1 pint Sulpuric acid
-1 pint Hydrochoric acid
-1 pint Nitric acid
-1 container Oxalic Acid (crystals)
and a pint of Ether from a drug store.
Then I went down the street to the hardware store and bought a quart
size container of Calcium Carbide crystals.

Of course, I blew out the side of house making hydrogen, stopped the
nitroglycerin reaction just in time, etc. But my go-cart went faster
than anyone else's.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

SteveB wrote:

So, where does a guy buy some nitric acid? I live in a large city. Where
would I go?

Steve

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:09:24 -0600, Pete & sheri
wrote:

Ask the druggist. I used to get stuff like that at the local drug store
when I was a kid (60 years ago). As a matter of fact, I was probably
the "poster kid" for why they won't sell all that stuff to kids anymore.
One day I bought:
-1 pint Sulpuric acid
-1 pint Hydrochoric acid
-1 pint Nitric acid
-1 container Oxalic Acid (crystals)
and a pint of Ether from a drug store.
Then I went down the street to the hardware store and bought a quart
size container of Calcium Carbide crystals.

Of course, I blew out the side of house making hydrogen, stopped the
nitroglycerin reaction just in time, etc. But my go-cart went faster
than anyone else's.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Are ALL of you Stanitis guys as crazy as those in Waterloo County
Ontario? The ones I knew up here seemed to have a perpetual death
wish.

SteveB wrote:

So, where does a guy buy some nitric acid? I live in a large city. Where
would I go?

Steve

~Roy~

Look for Industiral Chemical suppliers in the yellow pages. I hooked
up with a local company which is a large nationwide supplier of
industrial chemicals and found out that even if y ou have to buy a
larger quanity than necessary what yuou need., they are still
considerably cheaper. Some items you may have to fill paperwork out
on, as lots of stuff is on the hit list with the DEA etc, but still
readily available..

I use a lot of Potassium Permaganate..Online thorugh pet supply and
aquatic systems suppliers it will run about $30 for a 4 ounce
container of it plus shipping. I use 40 some pounds of it at a time,
and now get it at $51.05 for a 55# bucket...............and since i
pick it up locally no hazmat or shipping is charged.......Odds are if
your in the viciinity of a large city you have an industrial chemical
supplier as well.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:53:16 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

===So, where does a guy buy some nitric acid? I live in a large city. Where
===would I go?
===
===Steve
===

Don Bruder

In article ,
(~Roy~) wrote:

Look for Industiral Chemical suppliers in the yellow pages. I hooked
up with a local company which is a large nationwide supplier of
industrial chemicals and found out that even if y ou have to buy a
larger quanity than necessary what yuou need., they are still
considerably cheaper. Some items you may have to fill paperwork out
on, as lots of stuff is on the hit list with the DEA etc, but still
readily available..

When I was involved in the silver extraction thing years ago, we got a
local pool supply place to order the HNO3 for us. It came in on their
usual truckload of placarded stuff as "just another handful of boxes
with hazmat in 'em", incurring no extra charges beyond the standard
$5.00 for special orders. We went across town andgot it with the next
door neighbor's pickup 'cause there was no way we were going to fit 10
cases of acid into a Chevette with rusted out floorboards!

That was something like 15 years ago, though, maybe moving toward 20
years now... Trying to pick up multi-gallon lots of something that can
be used in the making of explosives (among other officially frowned-upon
activities) in these days of "homeland security", "The War (that's being
lost) On (certain) Drugs", and "terrorism threat levels" might raise a
few more eyebrows than one would like...

--
Don Bruder -
- New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
Sunworshipper

wrote:

So, where does a guy buy some nitric acid? I live in a large city. Where
would I go?

Steve

I use to buy stuff like that years ago , I want to say Janis
something. I 15 north to Graig right or East and it's on the left or
north side of the street before Laaamb. Follow your nose at least I
can smell the place.

I'd call first , after the red phosphorus and 911 stuff they might not
sell baking soda.

I've got a gallon of sulfuric that is 10 yrs. old , never opened IIRC.
Was going to do electrolysis experiments till I read up on it more and
figured I shouldn't step into the very unknown chemical world.
Bob Engelhardt

~Roy~ wrote:
... Potassium Permaganate ... I use 40 some pounds of it at a time, ...

OK, "I got's t' know" - what in the world do you use 40# of p-p for? I
used to use it to clean out/regenerate a potable water iron filter, but
that was a few onces at a time and miserable stuff in that quantity. Bob
~Roy~

I use it to oxidize nutrients and organic matter in my pond which I
usually do 2 x a year, and sometimes you have to dose it back to back
so that would be 80+ pounds to do 2 doses back to back.........

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:29:03 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

===~Roy~ wrote:
===... Potassium Permaganate ... I use 40 some pounds of it at a time, ...
===
===OK, "I got's t' know" - what in the world do you use 40# of p-p for? I
===used to use it to clean out/regenerate a potable water iron filter, but
===that was a few onces at a time and miserable stuff in that quantity. Bob

Gunner

wrote:

~Roy~ wrote:
... Potassium Permaganate ... I use 40 some pounds of it at a time, ...

OK, "I got's t' know" - what in the world do you use 40# of p-p for? I
used to use it to clean out/regenerate a potable water iron filter, but
that was a few onces at a time and miserable stuff in that quantity. Bob

Potassium Permanganate has lots of uses.

It makes a great first aid disinefectant
It makes a water purifier for potable water
It makes a great foot wash for athletes foot
It makes a great fire starter when you add a bit of glycerine.
It also makes a beautiful rifle stock stain for blond woods such as
birch or maple.

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael

"SteveB" skrev i en meddelelse
So, where does a guy buy some nitric acid? I live in a large city. Where
would I go?

Some industrial food processing plants ( dairy, fruit juice etc ) use nitric
acid in cleaning processes..
The cleaning product companies here sell it in 25 or 1200 litre quantities
( or by the truckload )

Most chemical and laboratory supply houses can get it for you..

Dont get any of that stuff on your skin... It stings like h*ll and turns
your skin a nice yellow for a few days until it falls off..

/peter

~Roy~

Seems the latest craze for its use is in the home chemcial labs to
produce illegal drugs.........one of the main reasons the DEA keeps an
eye on larger purchase quanities.........

It also makes a neat sppontaneous eruption of fire and smoke if you
put some crystals in brake fluid!

===
==="Gunner" wrote in message
===news0s441dl8mufv69g38f3kcuthbgeptsk8g@4ax. com...
=== On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:29:03 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
=== wrote:
===
=== ~Roy~ wrote:
[...]

Gunner

wrote:

You missed one Gunner. It was mixed with icing sugar to make a good rocket
fuel.

G....there are a few other things you can do with it as
well...including one involving brake fluid....but the kids might hurt
themselves.

Gunner

Tom
news
wrote:

~Roy~ wrote:
[...]

Gunner

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:50:33 GMT, (~Roy~) wrote:

Seems the latest craze for its use is in the home chemcial labs to
produce illegal drugs.........one of the main reasons the DEA keeps an
eye on larger purchase quanities.........

What drug can you make with PP? Its mostly a manganese compound IRRC.

It also makes a neat sppontaneous eruption of fire and smoke if you
put some crystals in brake fluid!

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:50:45 +1100, "Tom Miller"

===
==="Gunner" wrote in message
===news0s441dl8mufv69g38f3kcuthbgeptsk8g@4ax .com...
=== On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:29:03 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
=== wrote:
===
=== ~Roy~ wrote:
[...]

Tim Williams

"Gunner" wrote in message
G....there are a few other things you can do with it as
well...including one involving brake fluid....but the kids might hurt
themselves.

Hey, don't mind me...

Now excuse me while I go mix hydrogen peroxide, acetone and a dash of
sulfuric acid.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

~Roy~

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 05:05:13 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

snip
===
===What drug can you make with PP? Its mostly a manganese compound IRRC.
===

snip

Gunner, I sure don;t know, as I am not a clandestine drug chemist, but
from what the DEA folks as well as the folks at the industirial supply
house I buy at all have told me irs used in backyard meth labs or
something like that. Its used in place of something in the manufacture
of illegal drugs somehow. If it was not for illegal drugs, the DEA
would not be concerned with it. Even Acetone in certain quanity is an
interest of the DEA.....IIRC there is something like 5 or 6 certain
chemicals / substances the DEA keeps an eye on..........but the BATF
etc keep an eye on a lot more.

jim rozen

In article , Tim Williams says...

Now excuse me while I go mix hydrogen peroxide, acetone and a dash of
sulfuric acid.

A guy at work actually did that a while ago. They made him
take a vactation they said he had been working too hard.

Blew out his office window. Just missed a lady walking
down the hall.

Jim

please reply to:
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 05:04:12 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

wrote:

You missed one Gunner. It was mixed with icing sugar to make a good rocket
fuel.

G....there are a few other things you can do with it as
well...including one involving brake fluid....but the kids might hurt
themselves.

I really do need to come down there and sit a spell with you, dude.
I love that, um, adventurous type of trivia.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications
==========================

Gunner

wrote:

You missed one Gunner. It was mixed with icing sugar to make a good rocket
fuel.

G....there are a few other things you can do with it as
well...including one involving brake fluid....but the kids might hurt
themselves.

I really do need to come down there and sit a spell with you, dude.
I love that, um, adventurous type of trivia.

Survivalism is not just beans bullets and rice.
LOL
Some educational sites. Use any data you find on the net,at your own
risk.

http://www.linkbase.org/articles/Hom...Explosives.htm
http://www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/ka_****ing_boom/

shrug...just the tip of the iceberg as far as this sort of thing goes.
Personally, I dont mess with it, but having the data around for a
rainy day may have some benefits

Gunner

================================================= =======
TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications
==========================

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the
all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized
and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious.
michael
DE

"Tim Williams" ..

Now excuse me while I go mix hydrogen peroxide, acetone and a dash of
sulfuric acid.

Tim

There was freight train with a tank car of hydrogen peroxide and one
of acetone coupled next to each other. While switching atop the
continenal divide the train ran away and roll backwards 20 some miles
where it hit a locomotive. The axle set from one of the cars was
found in a basement over a mile away...on the other side of a tall
hill.
No one was harmed.. -30 below blew out windows
and lost the power for hour$$$ biggest boom I've heard.

Collision and derailment of Montana Rail Link Freight Train with
Locomotive Units and Hazardous Materials Release Helena, Montana
Februrary 2, 1989.
NTSB Report Number: RAR-89-05, adopted on 12/6/1989

DE

Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message

Survivalism is not just beans bullets and rice.
LOL

It's 'possum, C4, and Cloroxing trout, too. g

--
Ed Huntress

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:29:54 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:50:18 -0800, Larry Jaques

I really do need to come down there and sit a spell with you, dude.
I love that, um, adventurous type of trivia.

Survivalism is not just beans bullets and rice.
LOL

Some educational sites. Use any data you find on the net,at your own
risk.

http://www.linkbase.org/articles/Hom...Explosives.htm
http://www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/ka_****ing_boom/

shrug...just the tip of the iceberg as far as this sort of thing goes.

Yeah, no doubt.

Personally, I dont mess with it, but having the data around for a
rainy day may have some benefits

True. I just hope "they" don't decide that knowing it is illegal.
A certain current President and colleagues are leaning so far in
that direction I'm surprised they haven't fallen over.