bitstream

Default Covering up the solder in a copper project

I am working on soldering copper joint for this project:

http://home.earthlink.net/~madur0/copperhood.jpg

I was told that the exposed silver solder could be covered up or
"plated" some how. Can someone clue me in as to where I can buy this
and how it's done? Thanx in advance.
Leo Lichtman

"bitstream" wrote: (clip) Can someone clue me in as to where I can buy this
and how it's done? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe that stained glass workers commonly use a copper sulfate solution
to deposit a thin copper film. I don;t have any details.

Karl Townsend

The first step of triple chrome plating is plating copper. You just stop
there. This place sells kits:
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/triple.htm

Karl

"bitstream" wrote in message
I am working on soldering copper joint for this project:

http://home.earthlink.net/~madur0/copperhood.jpg

I was told that the exposed silver solder could be covered up or
"plated" some how. Can someone clue me in as to where I can buy this
and how it's done? Thanx in advance.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"bitstream" wrote: (clip) Can someone clue me in as to where I can buy

this
and how it's done? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe that stained glass workers commonly use a copper sulfate

solution
to deposit a thin copper film. I don;t have any details.

That won't work on silver solder.

One might consider brush plating. Ted Edwards has some experience in that
regard and may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Harold

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I believe that stained glass workers commonly use a copper sulfate

solution
to deposit a thin copper film. I don;t have any details.

That won't work on silver solder.

Copper sulfate will work on ferrous materials. Cupric chloride works on
less electromotive metals, up to and including lead.

Use a heavily copper-bearing silver solder, and you won't have to cover the
joints. They'll look like they were fusion welded.

LLoyd

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"bitstream" wrote: (clip) Can someone clue me in as to where I can buy

this
and how it's done? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe that stained glass workers commonly use a copper sulfate

solution
to deposit a thin copper film. I don;t have any details.

That won't work on silver solder.

One might consider brush plating. Ted Edwards has some experience in

that
regard and may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Harold

Who is Ted Edwards?

He's a regular here on RCM. Very bright and creative individual.

Harold

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 08:20 PM
HD's copper pipe fittings with solder already in them??!! toller Home Repair 1 February 13th 05 11:37 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 06:21 PM
How do tell a liquid from a solid? Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 20 December 29th 03 06:16 PM
I LOVE Speedfit! David W.E. Roberts UK diy 53 August 14th 03 06:05 PM