Default Price Check?

I need some help pricing a lathe that I have to sell. It is a 10"X36"
Rockwell. It has been used, but certainly not abused and it comes with
all the basic accessories plus a bunch of extras. I believe that the
model is 25-42X. That is what is listed on the back of the bed. I have
no idea how to price this thing. I checked out what has been selling
on eBay, but I couldn't find anything comparable. It seems like the
individual chucks and other extra parts alone are worth around $1000 if
sold by themselves. Is this a case where I could get more by parting
the lathe out than I would selling the whole package? Where do I start
on price?

Rex B

I need some help pricing a lathe that I have to sell. It is a 10"X36"
Rockwell. It has been used, but certainly not abused and it comes with
all the basic accessories plus a bunch of extras. I believe that the
model is 25-42X. That is what is listed on the back of the bed. I have
no idea how to price this thing. I checked out what has been selling
on eBay, but I couldn't find anything comparable. It seems like the
individual chucks and other extra parts alone are worth around $1000 if
sold by themselves. Is this a case where I could get more by parting
the lathe out than I would selling the whole package? Where do I start
on price?

I have been looking at Rockwells myself.
Seems like they go for less money than a comparable Atlas or Logan. They
appear to be comparable in quality to a Logan, but much better made than
an Atlas (but what isn't?.
A lot of them came out of school shop programs, so there were a lot of
them dumped on the market in the latter part of the previous century
(Gee, that sounds odd). Parts are allegably scarce and expensive.
I turned one down locally for $500 (I offered $400) but I'm about ready
to go back and get it. It was neglected and had little tooling, but was
working and had a taper attachment. Asking price was $700.
The 11x36 variant is more common and commands slightly higher prices.

From your description, I'd probably offer $500 - $600 to start, and try
to buy it for $800 or less.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Proctologically Violated©®

Also some fragile gearing in the cross slide, lore has it.
Yeah, no parts available.
But def'ly not a toy.
Variable speed is nice, if you like that partic. mechanism.
I've seen some very well setup ones, w/ snap handle collet closer, well
tooled (but no taper), for proly under $1500.
I've also seen'em w/ sheared gears, one w/ no back gears at all--totally
sheared.
Students?????
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Rex B" wrote in message
[...]

From your description, I'd probably offer $500 - $600 to start, and try to
buy it for $800 or less.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

White Oak price Sasha Woodworking 19 January 22nd 05 03:56 AM
loft insulation price check Fred UK diy 2 January 13th 05 05:08 PM
need reality check and mfgr recommendation for home water system F. Stephans Home Repair 12 June 12th 04 11:44 PM
Reasonable price for a replacement CH boiler? Hugo Nebula UK diy 18 November 20th 03 08:01 PM
House won't Sell - Need Advice [email protected] Home Ownership 14 August 7th 03 04:54 AM