Peter Fairbrother

Default Removing zinc/cadmium plating?

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without affecting
the steel underneath?

Thanks,

--
Peter Fairbrother

Karl Townsend

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without
affecting
the steel underneath?

Zinc comes right off with muratic (HCL) acid. The steel will rust
immediately if you don't take steps to prevent that. Makes nasty fumes, do
it outside and stand upwind.

Karl

Grant Erwin

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without affecting
the steel underneath?

Very easy. Go to the supermarket where they sell cleaners and find a can of
Red Devil lye. That's about a pound give or take. Add it to about four gallons
of water and drop your parts in overnight. The zinc will be entirely gone and
if there was any rust on the steel that will be gone too. You can certainly
use acid but I don't like to use acid for this because the acid eats the steel
too and you have to really worry about neutralizing it. The lye doesn't eat the
steel so if you leave it in too long it doesn't hurt anything, plus the rust
gets chemically reduced back to iron, not eaten away.

It's nice if you neutralize the chemical before disposing of it. Don't dump
it into a storm sewer, make sure it finds its way to a sewer treatment plant.

I have done this myself, recently, worked perfectly. Be aware that whether you
use a base (lye) or an acid (e.g. muriatic) one splash can blind you, so wear
goggles, use good chemical proof gloves, and wear old clothes, and don't do
this anywhere near where animals or small children go.

GWE
Peter Fairbrother

Grant Erwin wrote:

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without affecting
the steel underneath?

Very easy. Go to the supermarket where they sell cleaners and find a can of
Red Devil lye.

Just checking, that is sodium hydroxide? I'm in the UK and I don't think we
have that brand here (though we do have a "Red Devil" brand of small power
tools, vaccuum cleaners and the like).

I had wondered whether NaOH would work on zinc, and I agree that it would be
better for not eating the steel. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

--
Peter Fairbrother

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:15:05 +0000, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without affecting
the steel underneath?

Very easy. Go to the supermarket where they sell cleaners and find a can of
Red Devil lye.

Just checking, that is sodium hydroxide?

In the USA, yes, it is.

I'm in the UK and I don't think we
have that brand here (though we do have a "Red Devil" brand of small power
tools, vaccuum cleaners and the like).

Here, those are Dirt Devil, but yes they're red.

Once you fill that lye solution with zinc and cadmium salts it ain't
supposed to go down the drain, at least not anywhere in the states.

Grant Erwin

Zinc isn't the problem.

Steve

Then what is? - GWE

Tim Williams

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Zinc isn't the problem.

Then what is? - GWE

Cadmium is nice and poisonous.

Ya know, I wonder if cadmiate exists -- it's pretty similar to zinc after
all. If not then you'll have to use acid to strip any cadmium.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Peter Fairbrother

Tim Williams wrote:

Cadmium is nice and poisonous.

Ya know, I wonder if cadmiate exists --

It does.

it's pretty similar to zinc after
all. If not then you'll have to use acid to strip any cadmium.

But what to do with the residue?

going OT soon

The cadmium used came from somewhere, presumably a mineral deposit. We
played with it, and discovered it isn't a nice thing to play with. I guess
we should put it back where it came from?

Anyone got any ideas how to do that?

Now do the same with the extra carbon, as in oil or coal ...

/back to normal

-- Peter Fairbrother

"And you're not a gun freak?"

"Oh no. I'm a collector. Huge difference."

"The difference being?"

"I've got more guns."

Peter Fairbrother

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Tim Williams wrote:

Cadmium is nice and poisonous.

Ya know, I wonder if cadmiate exists --

It does.

It makes NiCd batterties work. too
****weedd loe ya all grvmawlduj;
jc2js, oooooh yeea;aodfhhhhhhhh mbsxdjlzs

-- Peter Fairbrother

When I see you floating down the gutter
I'll buy you a bottle of wine.

Martin H. Eastburn

The beautiful rainbow colored bolts and nuts used (on motorcycles, etc) is Cadmium.
Don't work on the cycle and then stick the finger in your mouth...

If counting those in a box - wear gloves and hasmat them afterwards.

Martin

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Tim Williams wrote:

Cadmium is nice and poisonous.

Ya know, I wonder if cadmiate exists --

It does.

It makes NiCd batterties work. too
****weedd loe ya all grvmawlduj;
jc2js, oooooh yeea;aodfhhhhhhhh mbsxdjlzs

-- Peter Fairbrother

When I see you floating down the gutter
I'll buy you a bottle of wine.

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Grant Erwin

Only place I've run across much cadmium is working on WWII era electronics.
Many metals were in very short supply in those days including zinc, so
cadmium was pressed into service "in a pinch". Guess I'm lucky. - GWE
Tim Williams

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
m...
The beautiful rainbow colored bolts and nuts used (on motorcycles, etc) is

Cadmium.
Don't work on the cycle and then stick the finger in your mouth...

If counting those in a box - wear gloves and hasmat them afterwards.

Ain't it oxidized to a dusty yellow after many years? I've seen that on old
(50s) stereos and speakers before...

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Grant Erwin

Tim Williams wrote:

Cadmium.

Ain't it oxidized to a dusty yellow after many years? I've seen that on old
(50s) stereos and speakers before...

Yup. That's the stuff. - GWE

Removing corkboard tiles from a wall JA Home Repair 1 January 29th 05 07:15 AM
Chrome Plating question invntrr Metalworking 12 December 5th 04 04:03 AM
Antique metal plating question jim Metalworking 13 September 3rd 03 09:00 PM
Removing Caulk PC Woodworking 2 August 2nd 03 04:29 PM
Copper plating Dan Caster Metalworking 5 July 24th 03 01:04 PM