Removing zinc/cadmium plating?

Old February 21st 05, 10:36 AM
Peter Fairbrother

Default Removing zinc/cadmium plating?

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without affecting
the steel underneath?

Thanks,

--
Peter Fairbrother

Old February 21st 05, 02:51 PM
Karl Townsend

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without
affecting
the steel underneath?

Zinc comes right off with muratic (HCL) acid. The steel will rust
immediately if you don't take steps to prevent that. Makes nasty fumes, do
it outside and stand upwind.

Karl

Old February 21st 05, 05:27 PM
Grant Erwin

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without affecting
the steel underneath?

Very easy. Go to the supermarket where they sell cleaners and find a can of
Red Devil lye. That's about a pound give or take. Add it to about four gallons
of water and drop your parts in overnight. The zinc will be entirely gone and
if there was any rust on the steel that will be gone too. You can certainly
use acid but I don't like to use acid for this because the acid eats the steel
too and you have to really worry about neutralizing it. The lye doesn't eat the
steel so if you leave it in too long it doesn't hurt anything, plus the rust
gets chemically reduced back to iron, not eaten away.

It's nice if you neutralize the chemical before disposing of it. Don't dump
it into a storm sewer, make sure it finds its way to a sewer treatment plant.

I have done this myself, recently, worked perfectly. Be aware that whether you
use a base (lye) or an acid (e.g. muriatic) one splash can blind you, so wear
goggles, use good chemical proof gloves, and wear old clothes, and don't do
this anywhere near where animals or small children go.

GWE
Old February 21st 05, 11:15 PM
Peter Fairbrother

Grant Erwin wrote:

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without affecting
the steel underneath?

Very easy. Go to the supermarket where they sell cleaners and find a can of
Red Devil lye.

Just checking, that is sodium hydroxide? I'm in the UK and I don't think we
have that brand here (though we do have a "Red Devil" brand of small power
tools, vaccuum cleaners and the like).

I had wondered whether NaOH would work on zinc, and I agree that it would be
better for not eating the steel. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

--
Peter Fairbrother

Old February 21st 05, 11:20 PM
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:15:05 +0000, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Is there an easy way to remove zinc and/or cadmium plating without affecting
the steel underneath?

Very easy. Go to the supermarket where they sell cleaners and find a can of
Red Devil lye.

Just checking, that is sodium hydroxide?

In the USA, yes, it is.

I'm in the UK and I don't think we
have that brand here (though we do have a "Red Devil" brand of small power
tools, vaccuum cleaners and the like).

Here, those are Dirt Devil, but yes they're red.

Old February 21st 05, 11:40 PM
[email protected]

Once you fill that lye solution with zinc and cadmium salts it ain't
supposed to go down the drain, at least not anywhere in the states.

Old February 22nd 05, 03:24 AM
Grant Erwin

Zinc isn't the problem.

Steve

Then what is? - GWE

Removing corkboard tiles from a wall JA Home Repair 1 January 29th 05 08:15 AM
Chrome Plating question invntrr Metalworking 12 December 5th 04 05:03 AM
Antique metal plating question jim Metalworking 13 September 3rd 03 10:00 PM
Removing Caulk PC Woodworking 2 August 2nd 03 05:29 PM
Copper plating Dan Caster Metalworking 5 July 24th 03 02:04 PM