Tom Gardner

Default Removing paint from inside of a steel cabinet

I'll trade you all the brushes that you will need for smoked meat...no pets
please, freezer full of kittens and puppies.

"Ignoramus29670" wrote in message
I have this enclosure

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/ferrups-meat-smoker/

and I would like to remove paint from inside, and to preserve paint
on the outside.

The reason why I want to remove the inside paint (and replace it with
a BBQ grill paint) is food safety. I do not know what kind of paint it
is. The expected temps inside are going to be about 250 degrees max.

The reason why I want to keep the outside paint is for looks and to
prevent rust.

I think that I have a few alternatives.

1. A wire brush on a drill.

2. Sandblasting. Can I do it relatively inexpensively with a
harbor freight compressor? We have a HF store nearby and perhaps I
could buy some sand blaster kit, which I would then keep for future
projects. I know nothing about sand blasting.

The advantage of a wire brush approach is that I do not have to drive
to harbor freight, spend money and time on that, but it is a time
consuming task nevertheless.

thanks

Grant Erwin

That cabinet is powder coated and it's going to be really resistant to
paint removal. Sand blasting that thing with a good blaster would take
quite awhile, with a HF POS it would be very difficult depending on if
you have the necessary CFM available. It will also make the most godawful
mess you've ever seen. Basically, you'll cover about a city block with
sand and paint dust. Chemical removers will work but are very unpleasant
to work with.

What I suggest is to entirely strip the thing and then redo the outside
with hi-temp paint. The easiest way to strip it is to build a nice charcoal
fire inside using 5-10 pounds of charcoal, and when that's done, it should
be easy to wire brush off the residue, wipe it down with thinner, blow it
clean, and paint. The inside should be thoroughly cleaned before painting
the outside, of course.

GWE

Ignoramus29670 wrote:
[...]

Eric R Snow

On 18 Feb 2005 14:09:11 GMT, Ignoramus29670
wrote:

[...]

Nice cabinet. Don't paint the inside. You want the smoke to coat the
inside. In fact, after you get rid of the paint inside, run several
cycles of smoke to coat the inside before you put any edibles in.
After stripping, you should heat the inside for an extended period of
time, a few hoiurs or so, at a fairly high temperature, to be sure
you drive off all bad taste. I worked with a guy who use a steel
cabinet about fridge size for his smoker. The first batch of salmon
was ruined because even though he thought the inside was clean enough
after using paint stripper it wasn't.
ERS
Winston

Ignoramus29670 wrote:

So, any suggestins on removing powder coating?

I cut up some powder coated tubing with a gas torch a few years ago.
Laid waste to my olfactory for about a year.
Tainted everything I ate.

Other folks have suggested very high temperatures to burn it off.
As in 'put it in a forge'.

Safest bet is probably to grind it off under a stream of water.

--Winston

Ignoramus29670 wrote:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:32:21 -0800, Eric R Snow

wrote:

[...]

Good point. I will keep it hot for a few days before attempting to
smoke anything.

So, any suggestins on removing powder coating?

Aircraft paint stripper will do it, won't be cheap though. Burning it
off may work, also may warp your enclosure and your neighbors will not
love you for it... If it's powder coating, it'll be pretty resistant
to abrasion, that was one of the tests I used to use to check for a
good cure. Sandblasting may also build up enough heat to warp the
thing. Really, the best way is to use a good chemical stripper and
then bake things afterwards to get rid of any possible residue. You
probably won't be able to find anything in a hardware store that will
shift powder coating in a reasonable length of time, you want methylene
chloride and lots of it in your stripper. The stuff I like comes form
a auto body supply place.

Stan

Tom Gardner

I keep trying to smoke them...they just won't stay lit!

"Ignoramus29670" wrote in message
I guess I could smoke your kittens and puppies...

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:46:18 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Grant Erwin

Ignoramus29670 wrote:

Now, if I wanted to go the burnoff route, what is the best option?

1) put in a bunch of charcoal, a steel pipe connected to a
compressor, and pump in compressed air as the charcoal is
burning. Would that per chance generate too much heat?

2) put in a bunch of diesel fuel soaked crumpled newspapers and
provide modest access to air

3) put in a "firelogg" made os sawdust, and let it burn

Any thoughts?

The enclosure is roughly 3x3x1.5 feet.

Blowing charcoal will get it too hot. Just make sure there's airflow
somehow, maybe lie it on its back so it can draw air through the grill
and leave the door cracked just a little, maybe by putting a piece of
scrap metal in to keep it from closing. Then build a nice long-lasting
fire. If you have a weed-burning torch you can burn it off by hand but
it will be real easy to warp it that way too. And don't be too particular
about looks, this is just a sheet metal box. A clean coat of hi-temp paint
on the outside and it will look great even if it's a little wavy. Plus,
you can learn to flatten with a hammer and auto body tools if you need to.
Just figure a plan and build the thing, and if it doesn't work out, scrap
it and redesign it and move on to the next design. Don't be afraid to get
in there and make a mistake.

Aircraft stripper is miserable stuff. Buy new rubber gloves, goggles, and
the correct filters for your mask and USE THEM. Also, work on about a square
foot at a time. Don't let it dry out. And yes, you will certainly have to
cook it afterwards.

I wouldn't want a smoker that looks like a server rack. I'd strip that ugly
corporate-ass paint off it and paint it redneck style. Smoking meat isn't
for corporate weeenies.

GWE
Grant Erwin

Yup, hardware store BBQ paint is fine, or engine block paint if you want
to go that route, lots of colors available that way. A nice Rambo camo look
would be cool .. :-)

Ignoramus29670 wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:34:46 -0800, Grant Erwin wrote:

Blowing charcoal will get it too hot.

OK.

Just make sure there's airflow somehow, maybe lie it on its back so
it can draw air through the grill and leave the door cracked just a
little, maybe by putting a piece of scrap metal in to keep it from
closing.

Airflow is not a problem, it hs openable front and top. My concern is
that too much airflow would not let the neclosure become hot enough.

Then build a nice long-lasting fire. If you have a
weed-burning torch you can burn it off by hand but it will be real
easy to warp it that way too.

I do not have one.

And don't be too particular about looks, this is just a sheet metal
box. A clean coat of hi-temp paint on the outside and it will look
great even if it's a little wavy.

Okay. I know that they sell black BBQ/grill paint at home despot etc,
is that what you are talking about?

Plus, you can learn to flatten with a hammer and auto body tools if
you need to. Just figure a plan and build the thing, and if it
doesn't work out, scrap it and redesign it and move on to the next
design. Don't be afraid to get in there and make a mistake.

Aircraft stripper is miserable stuff. Buy new rubber gloves, goggles, and
the correct filters for your mask and USE THEM. Also, work on about a square
foot at a time. Don't let it dry out. And yes, you will certainly have to
cook it afterwards.

I wouldn't want a smoker that looks like a server rack. I'd strip that ugly
corporate-ass paint off it and paint it redneck style. Smoking meat isn't
for corporate weeenies.

What I do not want is for it to look like ****. I think that the white
corporate look is funny for a meat smoker. If I can get a decent
result with high temp paint, I am open minded.

Good point on not being afraid to try stuff, this cabinet is basically
free as far as my costs go.

Winston

Ignoramus29670 wrote:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:58:17 -0800, Winston wrote:

Ignoramus29670 wrote:

So, any suggestins on removing powder coating?

I cut up some powder coated tubing with a gas torch a few years ago.
Laid waste to my olfactory for about a year.
Tainted everything I ate.

Funny, I googled newsgroups and came across your (my guess)post from
some time ago. You mentioned how coke tasted funny, etc.

Was that you?

Yup.

--Winston

Rick Cook

Winston wrote:
Ignoramus29670 wrote:

So, any suggestins on removing powder coating?

I cut up some powder coated tubing with a gas torch a few years ago.
Laid waste to my olfactory for about a year.
Tainted everything I ate.

Other folks have suggested very high temperatures to burn it off.
As in 'put it in a forge'.

Safest bet is probably to grind it off under a stream of water.

--Winston

There's something I don't understand here. If this is for a smoker, will
the temperature ever get hot enough for the coating to cause problems?

--RC

Steve W.

That is a powder coat finish (probably epoxy, looks like the same santex
powder we used on Xerox stuff) Unless your getting the temperature over
400 degrees it won't cause a problem.
To remove the powder without destroying the case your in foe a LOT of
work. Aircraft remover will work but you need to apply it a couple times
and then heat the cabinet for a couple days to get those fumes out.
Sandblasting would work BUT the pressure required would warp the steel.
Wire brush would take FOREVER.

Powder is tough if applied correctly. As long as it is clean it is safe
around food. Heck we used to cook pizza for lunch in the baking ovens.
Never had a problem in 10 years.
Now BURNING powder can be a problem, it really STINKS and gives off some
toxic fumes.

Personally I would just whip up a new cabinet out of bare steel and
paint it with grill paint.

--
Steve Williams

[...]

Gary Brady

Ignoramus29670 wrote:
[...]

Have you considered gel type paint stripper? I've used this with good
success on some paints and poor success on others. If it works, it will
immediately cause the paint to blister and raise. It can then be
scraped or brushed off.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX