Andrew V

Default Was Shop heat---update

WOW,

Gentlemen thank you for some great responses, lots of useful info. I spoke
to a contractor today and he suggested a combination of tube deep in the
slab and some separately poured spots for the power hammer & shear. nothing
else will really need to be anchored deeper then 4"

A couple of follow ups:

Harold-- is the rebar @ 18" centers in addition to mesh or instead of?

JW-- you said you used icf's for the walls is that the full 16'? I'm just
starting to look at them, which ones did you use? I'm planning on 12' walls
toped with concrete plank for the shop area (lower level) and on top a stick
framed garage/studio 9' wall with a gambrel roof. I'm building into a
hillside and the building won't be square (40' x 28' x 50' on the long side
& whatever across the front-hill, long story involves the wife & her
garden.....) on the hill end so I'm interested in how you handle that with
icf forms.

Dave--I do have access to a thermal imager but not that I could take home

As far as the heat source is concerned I'm thinking about a coal fired
boiler(auto stoker) it would easily heat the shop and also offset the house
load too, but if that doesn't pan out a large water heater and a couple of
solar panels would do the shop nicely.
If anybody has shop (construction shots would be real nice) pictures on line
post a link. Once I break ground I'm going to put shots on my web page. I'm
all ears for shop construction tips.

Thanks again

Andrew V

yourname

amed garage/studio 9' wall with a gambrel roof. I'm building into a
hillside and the building won't be square (40' x 28' x 50' on the long side
& whatever across the front-hill, long story involves the wife & her
garden.....) on the hill end so I'm interested in how you handle that with
icf forms.

As far as the heat source is concerned I'm thinking about a coal fired
boiler(auto stoker) it would easily heat the shop and also offset the house
load too, but if that doesn't pan out a large water heater and a couple of
solar panels would do the shop nicely.

If you can arrange some south facing glass etc, it always helps.

If you are going to make money in this space, think seriously about a
well designed solar and then an oil fired or nat gas backup. Coal just
sounds like tinkering to me. Yeah, maybe cheap, but if you are bored,
get a woodstove, at least it smells nice. Wood can be free. Pallets are
awesome sources of heat.

That's the ticket, some nice big solar arrays, tell the wife she can
plant flowers around them. An oil boiler for the peak hours, and a
woodstove for when you ought to be working and feel like burning ****.

Waynemak

Going to burn coal, where are you located?? I have had many Klinkers this
year, it has been a real pain cleaning out the stove once a week. I have
been getting the real hard ones that block the grates.
"Andrew V" wrote in message
[...]

Waynemak

Despite the post I just made about Klinkers, coal is MUCH less work than
wood, puts out lots of heat and has no smell. I heat my house with coal for
about $400 for the winter. Oil would be about $1200 to $2000. The nice part
of buring coal is that I can burn the wood I cut down or scraps from the
shop, but when I don't have the time to mess with the stove the coal has a
long burn time and puts out good heat the whole time.
"yourname" wrote in message
[...]

Ecnerwal

Harold-- is the rebar @ 18" centers in addition to mesh or instead of?

I don't know what Harold did, but I laid mesh, then decided that adding
~1000 feet of 1/2 inch rebar was quite inexpensive ($250 or so at the
time) and it helped to keep the mesh more like flat. I had fiber mix
poured, too. I used up extra bits of mesh by putting a double layer
(above and below the rebar) at the doorways. I also have 750 feet of
radiant heat tubing in place (near the bottom of the slab), but have not
got heat hooked up to it, so I'm not chiming in on how well it works
yet, though I expect it to work well. Pay attention to the edge
insulation - I have a tiny bit of uninsulated face showing at each door,
but all the edges, including the edges at the doors, are insulated. It
wasn't too hard to convince myself that insulating under the slab,
around the edge of the slab, and also insulating the outside of the
stemwall all the way to the footing (which, naturally, has a drain all
the way around it) made good sense. Walls are SIPs, place is _well_
insulated all around, or will be when the ceiling is in place and
insulated above. You cannot go back and add more insulation or
reinforcement after the concrete is poured, so slight overkill, within
reason, is better than underestimating. Massive overkill wastes money.

Rebar is easy enough to put in yourself, if you have time/inclination.
Pouring & finishing the concrete is better left to an experienced crew,
IMHO, having done it both ways.

Take the time to bend corners (so that corner re-inforcement is a nicely
radiused bent rebar, tied into the rebar grid with adequate overlap, not
just crossing rebars held by tie wires). No reason you can't do that all
the way to the middle, but at least 3 grid spacings in from the corner
should be tied in that way, IMHO. Corners are stress concentration areas.

My walls are 8" concrete with the 2.5" of foam on either side. With
the 4' footers, the walls are actually 20'. Done in two pours. There
is a 2x10 sillplate and standard rafters. It is sided with steel and a
steel roof. Interior is done with OSB and drywall.

ICF is very flexible. You can build curved walls, odd angles, etc. It
is almost easier than "conventional" construction. Plan everything
ahead. While not impossible, it is very difficult to add "holes"
later.

My supplier, www.integraspec.com There are many different ones.

I have a bunch of photos somewhere. I will have to repost.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Andrew V" wrote in message
WOW,

Gentlemen thank you for some great responses, lots of useful info. I

spoke
to a contractor today and he suggested a combination of tube deep in the
slab and some separately poured spots for the power hammer & shear.

nothing
else will really need to be anchored deeper then 4"

A couple of follow ups:

Harold-- is the rebar @ 18" centers in addition to mesh or instead of?

Instead of. However, if I said it was on 18" spacing, I was wrong. The
hoses are, but the rebar is on 12" spacing. I have a photo of the layout in
one of our albums which I could scan if you're interested. It worked out by
choosing where I tied the hoses. I could install rebar as cheaply as mesh
at the time, and I don't like wrestling with the mesh that comes from rolls.
It's clearly a bitch to get flat enough to keep your hoses where you want
them, and dobies don't do much of a job of keeping it at the right height.
I decided that if I was going to spend the money, I may as well get the
benefit of the stronger support. No regrets, aside from it taking a lot of
time to tie the intersections. I poured about 2,600 square feet. I
strongly recommend the rebar in lieu of mesh to avoid any settling should
you get cracks.

I added a lot more rebar at the entrances, where I risked breaking the edge
of the floor with my lift truck. It weights about 5 tons alone, as I
stated, and I figured it was cheaper to add rebar than to fix a broken floor
and heating system. To that end, I ran additional rebar from the entrance
to roughly 6 feet in. That maybe wasn't necessary, but the floor hasn't
cracked, in spite of having hauled a maximum load through the doors, so I'm
happy I made that decision. I also used a 6 sack mix. In my opinion,
saving a couple hundred dollars on a project of that magnitude is not worth
the risk from cutting corners.

One other thing I did was install a built in vacuum cleaner, a large one
capable of servicing 18,000 square feet. All of the pipe is either under
the floor or poured in the walls. Twin motors, with no filter bag. It
discharges directly outside and has a cyclonic separator. We'll extend it
to the house, so it will serve double duty. If your budget can stand the
cost, it's a super way to go for keeping a shop clean. We can walk around
in stocking feet with no worries (we're living in the shop while we build).

Good luck!

Harold

Ecnerwal

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
choosing where I tied the hoses. I could install rebar as cheaply as mesh
at the time, and I don't like wrestling with the mesh that comes from rolls.
It's clearly a bitch to get flat enough to keep your hoses where you want
them, and dobies don't do much of a job of keeping it at the right height.
I decided that if I was going to spend the money, I may as well get the
benefit of the stronger support. No regrets, aside from it taking a lot of
time to tie the intersections.

With a tie-wire-wrapping tool (spinner) it's probably less time than
fighting with the rolled mesh is - but I had the mesh on hand (bought
ahead at a good price and stored), and the overlaid rebar helped to keep
it flatter. Were I to do another, I'd give more rebar and no mesh a
thought, or look for a source of flat mesh panels, rather than rolled
mesh.

SteveF

the floor or poured in the walls. Twin motors, with no filter bag. It
discharges directly outside and has a cyclonic separator. We'll extend it
to the house, so it will serve double duty. If your budget can stand
the
cost, it's a super way to go for keeping a shop clean. We can walk
around
in stocking feet with no worries (we're living in the shop while we
build).

Good luck!

Harold

How much insulation did you put under the slab and where? I was talking to
a radiant flooring guy last night in Washington who told me that WA now
requires 2" under the full slab. And what kind did you use? Seems like
standard extruded polystyrene would be fine for a normal garage but I'd like
someone to tell me it would be fine for heavy loads like you are using.

Thanks.
Steve.

Anthony

"Andrew V" wrote in
:

If anybody has shop (construction shots would be real nice) pictures
on line post a link. Once I break ground I'm going to put shots on my
web page. I'm all ears for shop construction tips.

While you are laying block, go ahead and size the footer, lay up,
reinforce and pour some support columns for the evenutal overhead
crane/trolley steel you will wish you had built support columns for when
you built the shop.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:13:08 GMT, SteveF wrote:

How much insulation did you put under the slab and where? I was talking to
a radiant flooring guy last night in Washington who told me that WA now
requires 2" under the full slab.

That's what I used, in 1" sheets with seams staggered.

And what kind did you use?

R-5 styrofoam blue board. Ten years ago, not so many options. I
have the fiberglass reinforcement _and_ steel 6" mesh in the floor, so
any point loads _should_ be handled long before they get to the foam.

Dave Hinz
Jim & Hils

Hi Andrew,
I am currently building a house out of ICF's - we are using
www.arxxbuild.com blocks and think they are great. We have a 1900sf
basement and 2500sf upstairs - stacked them right up to the top plate (2x12
treated). I wish I had known about them when I built my shop 14 years ago.
I can't say anything about radiant floor other than we will be putting it
in the house soon with 2" of gypcrete over it. (Wish I'd done it in the
shop)
I would be happy to answer questions about our project and could provide
some pictures if you'd like.
Regards,
Jim

"Andrew V" wrote in message

JW-- you said you used icf's for the walls is that the full 16'? I'm just
starting to look at them, which ones did you use? I'm planning on 12'
walls toped with concrete plank for the shop area (lower level) and on top
a stick framed garage/studio 9' wall with a gambrel roof. I'm building
into a hillside and the building won't be square (40' x 28' x 50' on the
long side & whatever across the front-hill, long story involves the wife &
her garden.....) on the hill end so I'm interested in how you handle that
with icf forms. Thanks again
Andrew V

Harold and Susan Vordos

"SteveF" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

I cut corners, a decision I now regret with the cost of heating oil over
$2/gallon. At the time I could fill my tank @ 70¢/gallon. I used only 1"
of board (R-5), which I purchased directly from a distributor. With 2,600
sq. ft. of floor, the savings (over $1,000) was attractive, but foolish.
The board is made by Dow, and is blue in color. Unless one has a terrific
floor load, the 25 PSI material with thick reinforced concrete should be
more than adequate, considering that works out to a loading of 3,600 lbs/ft.
I just wanted the added insurance to guarantee I wouldn't crack the floor
with my lift truck. Cork Insulation in Seattle was the source, if that
helps.

Harold

SteveF

Thanks for the info.

One question comes to mind. One my first (and only garage) I did a 6"
concrete floor with fiber reinforcement. No rebar and no mesh. Cut control
joints properly. A year later no cracks except the ones in the control
joints and everything looks fine.

If I put in radiant piping I must but in either mesh or rebar to hold the
piping in place during the pour. From what I've read on the concrete web
sites, the rebar shouldn't cross the control joints since that defeats the
purpose of the control joint. I guess the radiant piping can stretch a
little without a problem.

How did you handle the control joints or did you just leave them out?

[...]

Harold and Susan Vordos

"SteveF" wrote in message
Thanks for the info.

One question comes to mind. One my first (and only garage) I did a 6"
concrete floor with fiber reinforcement. No rebar and no mesh. Cut

control
joints properly. A year later no cracks except the ones in the control
joints and everything looks fine.

If I put in radiant piping I must but in either mesh or rebar to hold the
piping in place during the pour. From what I've read on the concrete web
sites, the rebar shouldn't cross the control joints since that defeats the
purpose of the control joint. I guess the radiant piping can stretch a
little without a problem.

How did you handle the control joints or did you just leave them out?

Thanks.
Steve.

The guy that did our floor does a lot of commercial concrete work and
suggested that he score the floor with a bull float with a skeg, for lack of
better definition, then finish over the score. He said any cracking would
follow the score, even though it wasn't visible. His rational is that the
skeg separates the coarse aggregate, which is expected to lend the greatest
strength to the concrete, and replaces it with fines of lower strength,
encouraging the floor to crack at specific places. It turned out exactly
that way, in spite of the fact that our rebar is continuous. Any cracks
that have occurred are at scores, although not every score has cracked. We
haven't found any wild cracks, and the floor is now 5 years old.
Therefore I'd have to say that the information that suggests rebar defeats
the purpose of the score isn't true, at least in our case. To be perfectly
honest, there's no way in hell I'd pay the price of hydronic heating and
install it without something to prevent the 'crete from moving when it
cracks, and crack it will.

Regards the piping-------I know I'll sound like an idiot, but I don't have a
lot of faith in the plastic stuff. We used rubber hose, a product made by
Goodyear to Heatway's specifications for the purpose of hydronic heating.
I figure it will tolerate a little misalignment, but at this point that's a
non-issue. I'm sure the plastic would have worked equally as well, and it's
one hell of a lot cheaper to buy. We paid roughly 70¢/ft. for the 3/8"
rubber hose. While we didn't pay for a trace, they make the same product
with a trace so it can be detected easily. I felt no need because it's
placed deep enough.

Harold

jw

One thing I should mention too....

Whoever does your floor. Don't let them put in chloride. They do it
so it will set up faster and they can get the hell out of there. The
slower concrete cures the stronger it gets. Plus if it cures to
quickly, it will shrink faster than it can accomodate and you will get
stray cracks where you normally wouldn't.

Ecnerwal

"SteveF" wrote:
If I put in radiant piping I must but in either mesh or rebar to hold the
piping in place during the pour. From what I've read on the concrete web
sites, the rebar shouldn't cross the control joints since that defeats the
purpose of the control joint. I guess the radiant piping can stretch a
little without a problem.

How did you handle the control joints or did you just leave them out?

Don't know where you're reading that, but I've never seen that one, and
I've been known to read concrete books for fun. In any case, it does not
match up with practice, as I've seen it, and built it. My floor is
sawcut ~1 inch deep on a roughly 11 foot grid, rebar & mesh is
continous. The cuts were filled with caulk before the floor was painted,
which keeps crap from collecting in them. The cuts serve to concentrate
any cracking stresses into cracking along the cut. The rebar keeps the
cracked chunks from shifting WRT each other. If you cut the rebar, the
various hunks of floor will most likely offset significantly over time,
making it very hard to move stuff around the floor, and also breaking
your tubing.

You may be thinking of an expansion joint, which needs to be free to
move, but is rarely encountered in home or home-shop scale projects,
most of which are not large enough to need them.

Eric R Snow

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:24:25 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

"SteveF" wrote:
[...]

I had a floor poured about seven years ago. It is seven inches thick
at the thinnest. It has re-bar, wire mesh, and that fiber that you can
have added to concrete. The only cracks I got were after an earthquake
that moved machines weighing 1 and 3 tons. And, when I let a 2.5 ton
machine down too fast, I got a crack from that. All the cracks are too
narrow to get anything in, like dirt or chips. But I was wondering if
there was some epoxy or other glue that could be drawn in by capillary
action to keep the cracks from getting wider. Or even if it needs to
be done. There are other places where I've chipped the floor pretty
deep, like when using a crowbar to shift a machine when the slab was
too soft. Epoxy is used to fill these and works well.
ERS
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jw" wrote in message
oups.com...
One thing I should mention too....

Whoever does your floor. Don't let them put in chloride. They do it
so it will set up faster and they can get the hell out of there. The
slower concrete cures the stronger it gets. Plus if it cures to
quickly, it will shrink faster than it can accomodate and you will get
stray cracks where you normally wouldn't.

I fully subscribe to that! Not only did I not permit chloride, I also
draped the three 10' X 10' doorways with a large tarp to exclude sunlight
from hitting my floor. I also kept it wet for a few days by spraying with
water.

I had one very negative experience with calcium chloride, a basement floor
that was poured before the subfloor was installed. It was done on a very
warm day in May, in Utah. The clowns that ordered the 'crete wanted to hit
it and get out, which they did. Between the chloride and the sun, the
'crete got so hot you couldn't touch it, and by evening there were cracks
everywhere, many of them 1/8" wide, some perhaps even more.

Avoid calcium chloride and sunlight as if they're the plague. A long,
slow cure is exactly what you need for good concrete.

Harold

Vinny

Regards the piping-------I know I'll sound like an idiot, but I don't have a
lot of faith in the plastic stuff. We used rubber hose, a product made by
Goodyear to Heatway's specifications for the purpose of hydronic heating.
I figure it will tolerate a little misalignment, but at this point that's a
non-issue. I'm sure the plastic would have worked equally as well, and it's
one hell of a lot cheaper to buy. We paid roughly 70¢/ft. for the 3/8"
rubber hose. While we didn't pay for a trace, they make the same product
with a trace so it can be detected easily. I felt no need because it's
placed deep enough.

Harold

Sorry to tell you this but Goodyear made some very bad hose in the
early 1990's, there E2 series. it caused Heatway to go bankrupt,
ruined 1,000's of heating systems. I had installed a few of them and
they failed. It was a disaster for the industry (and me) . There is
now a $ 200+ million class action settlement underway. Heatway was
bought by Watts, and now makes a very good all EPDM hose called Onix.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Vinny" wrote in message

[...]

Which explains why the hose that was provided was the next generation of
hose, far different from that which was in their original catalog. The
hose we got is Onix (matches the description in the catalog we have now),
and it isn't plastic. Our system has been active for 5 years and has
functioned flawlessly. Hoses that are exposed are still in great
condition.

Could you describe some of the problems the old hose yielded? Anything in
particular I should keep watch for?

Harold

Vinny

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos
wrote:

"Vinny" wrote in message

[...]

If you have Onix (Black) Hose you are fine. Never been a problem with
it. same goes for Entran 3 (color orange) . The problem is that
goodyear did not use EPDM for the E2 (entran 2) hose but SBR which just
can't hold up to hot water. , the bad Hose was orange. but turned dark
red as it bcame brittle. It got so brittle it would crack plus it had
no Oxygen barrier which means the Boiler would rust out from the
inside. As far as I know there are no 'problem' radiant products on the
market now. The trace wire that was used in the early hose's did not
work out well in the real world due to rebar, wire mesh and buried
electrical wires causing false readings on the detector sets.

FYI plastic radiant tubes called 'PEX' are fantastic when it comes to
durability and ability to withstand slab cracking . As long as the
crack happens over time the PEX just expands. During the San Franscisco
earthquake to 1990? the slab cracking happened too fast for the PEX to
expand so much of it failed but the Heatway hose's did fine. PEX is
destroyed by direct sunlight !

Hose type radiant systems are great for commercial jobs where there are
lots of tradesman walking on the tubes. it is also kink proof which is
good for 'rookie' installers but by far its best use is staple-up
underfloor retrofit's under title, wood or carpet floors. it does not
expand and contract like PEX.
Andrew V

"Waynemak" wrote in message
Going to burn coal, where are you located?? I have had many Klinkers this
year, it has been a real pain cleaning out the stove once a week. I have
been getting the real hard ones that block the grates.

Wayne,

I'm in Southern Vermont, a place called Sandgate. I want to buy
Blacksmithing coal in bulk for resale and saw pricing and info on coal
boilers during a gooooogle. I realize you need anthracite for heating but
that's no problem. You can get auto-stoker boilers that only need feeding
every 2-3 days, and they have enough capacity to offset the heat load in the
house as well. Anything I can do to reduce our oil usage is a good thing.
(1800 gal last yr) I looked @ wood boilers but I'm not interested in feeding
it every day or doing the chopping ect., there's no economy in it if you by
the wood. I am also looking at solar panels for the shop but that wont help
with the house.

Andrew

Andrew V

Thanks for the input. I'm also in Southern Vermont ...maybe I can take a
look at your shop, nothing like seeing the real thing.
If that's a possibility drop me an e-mail(remove to obvious).

Thanks

Andrew

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
[...]

Andrew V

Harold,

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. I'm thankful to the group for
all the info its defiantly going to help me reduce the number of "DUH, why
didn't I think of that before I poured 80 yards of concrete" moments.

Andrew

[...]

Andrew V

"Anthony" wrote in message
While you are laying block, go ahead and size the footer, lay up,
reinforce and pour some support columns for the evenutal overhead
crane/trolley steel you will wish you had built support columns for when
you built the shop.

Great Idea

I already spoke to the people at www.naicranes.com/ about a crane
"kit" all the parts but the steel and varying degrees of assembly required.

Andrew

Andrew V

Vinny,

I ck'ed out your site and I'll keep you in mind as my plans firm up.

Thanks for the input

Andrew

[...]

Waynemak

I am down in CT. I burn about 2-1/2 to 3 tons for the season. I have a guy
that charges $150 per ton. We have electric heat that I have never used in
the house. I burn coal most of the time its less work than wood and no
concerns of a chimney fire. I need to shake my coal once every 12 hours is
fine. I feed in the morning and at night. Makes some dust but it beats the
electric rates. I have been loking into converting to oil but oil prices
have been high the last 2 years so I am not jumping on that yet.
"Andrew V" wrote in message

"Waynemak" wrote in message
[...]

Andrew V

I'm looking at a boiler like this www.efmheating.com/d520.html there is a
company over in NY that has rebuilt units. I'll be going to see one next
week just to get a feel for it. I won't need to heat the shop till next
winter but I want to have the plan set so I'm not scratching my head at the
last minute.

Andrew

"Andrew V" wrote in message

"Waynemak" wrote in message
[...]

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:

"Vinny" wrote in message

[...]

Yep, that's it! I've been quite impressed with it, in fact. One concern
I've had right along was how it might react if oil got to it through cracks
in the floor, so I soaked a piece in oil for a while----didn't seem to be a
serious problem, and I can't imagine my floor ever getting that wet with
oil----I keep a dry (*very* dry) floor, with Oil-Dri generously spread
anywhere it's needed.

When I bought the hose, I was somewhat disappointed that the new hose didn't
state you could drive your cement truck over it while making the pour,
although that was never in the plan. I was just impressed that it was so
forgiving. Hearing what you have to say certainly makes my day. I dodged
a bullet, and only by shear luck. It did get walked on by the laborers
pouring the 'crete---there's on way you can avoid that when you're wrestling
with a boom dumping mud. I poured with the system under 60 pounds pressure
and had no problems. The hose was well tied at decent intervals, and on the
bottom side of the rebar, not on top. I saw to that.

FYI plastic radiant tubes called 'PEX' are fantastic when it comes to
durability and ability to withstand slab cracking . As long as the
crack happens over time the PEX just expands.

I investigated a couple systems before landing on Heatway, and PEX tubing
was included. I had a sample of the material, but couldn't come to terms
with the potential for expansion and misalignment, not knowing much about
it. I had a gut feeling that rubber hose would be more forgiving.

During the San Franscisco
earthquake to 1990? the slab cracking happened too fast for the PEX to
expand so much of it failed but the Heatway hose's did fine. PEX is
destroyed by direct sunlight !

We endured the 6.8 Nisqually quake (NW Washington) of three years ago with
not so much as a crack in the floor or any of the walls, and we're only 40
miles from the epicenter. The shop was doing some pretty fancy dancing.
From all indications, the amount of rebar I used, and the prep before
pouring the floor, provided an assembly that is relatively stable and would
have likely done just fine with the PEX.

At this point I have no regrets, so I'm installing the same material in the
house. Being a machinist/toolmaker by trade (retired), I made my own
manifolds and control panel, which I will also do for the house. It
turned out quite nicely and looks professionally done, not some kludged up
mess. I have no idea how the PEX is coupled, but the clamps and barb
fitting used by Heatway(Watts) makes it pretty easy. I have found no leaks
in the roughly 5 years the system has been in use.

Hose type radiant systems are great for commercial jobs where there are
lots of tradesman walking on the tubes. it is also kink proof which is
good for 'rookie' installers but by far its best use is staple-up
underfloor retrofit's under title, wood or carpet floors. it does not
expand and contract like PEX.

The staple up feature is what I'm counting on for the house, except for the
basement and garage, which each have the hose in the 'crete, which is only
4" thick. I won't be able to do any floor anchoring, but I didn't plan to,
anyway. Basement is strictly for storage and mechanical, with not so much
as one window.

I appreciate the fact that the rubber hose doesn't expand the way plastics
do, and is yet another reason I made a good decision.

Thanks for the great information.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
vladik

We have heatway entran 3 tubing that was installed by the previous
owners. We are starting to find leaks in the tubing. From everything
that I have read there have not been any problems with entran 3 only
entran II. Any information out there? I would hate to have to replace
all of the tubing for the system. It seems like everytime we go to the
basement a new leak has sprung. The system is approximately 11 years
old.Vinny Wrote:
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos
wrote:
-
"Vinny"
wrote in message
...-

-

[...]

heat pump/secondary propane furnace questions JohnW Home Ownership 11 January 28th 05 02:50 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
Heat Pump control problems, Review and Update Art Renkes Home Repair 2 August 15th 04 07:09 AM
Calculating window heat loss Duane Morin Home Repair 9 February 21st 04 04:42 PM
Heat Keeps Shutting Off Frontier Home Repair 29 December 24th 03 02:44 PM