Flat belt on Logan lathe

Old February 8th 05, 07:49 PM
RoyJ

Default Flat belt on Logan lathe

I've finally got my little Loagan Model 200 up and running. Seems to be
nice and tight, cuts the nicest collection of steel wool shavings I've
seen. But as soon as I try for some heavier cuts, the belts either slip
or pop off. The Logan has a 25 pound belt guard on the top that actuates
a cam to tighten up the flat belt. Easy to adjust the bolt but how
tight to set it? I can't get at the belt to see how much deflection it
has once the guard comes down, can't do it with the guard up because
the cam isn't actuated. Belt appears to be some sort of fabric deal, not
leather. Help??
Old February 9th 05, 12:13 AM
John Hall

I tighten the belt so it won't slip then put a nice heavy chunk of stock on
top of the cover so it doesn't do that annoying bounce. Usually that means
tightening the screw until the cover just lifts. Make sure the belt isn't
greasy.

John
ink.net...

Old February 9th 05, 01:58 AM
RoyJ

I've been a bit leery about going that tight. I still have enough left
so the cover has a distinct 'clank' when I lower it down. Sounds like
you are letting all the cover weight tighten the belt, add weight to
take care of the bounce???

John Hall wrote:

I tighten the belt so it won't slip then put a nice heavy chunk of stock on
top of the cover so it doesn't do that annoying bounce. Usually that means
tightening the screw until the cover just lifts. Make sure the belt isn't
greasy.

John
ink.net...

Old February 9th 05, 02:02 AM
John Hall

"RoyJ" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've been a bit leery about going that tight. I still have enough left so
the cover has a distinct 'clank' when I lower it down. Sounds like you are
letting all the cover weight tighten the belt, add weight to take care of
the bounce???

yes, that's the idea. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the weight of
the cover is what tensions the belt.

John

Old February 9th 05, 12:00 PM
Scott S. Logan

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:49:27 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

I've finally got my little Loagan Model 200 up and running. Seems to be
nice and tight, cuts the nicest collection of steel wool shavings I've
seen. But as soon as I try for some heavier cuts, the belts either slip
or pop off. The Logan has a 25 pound belt guard on the top that actuates
a cam to tighten up the flat belt. Easy to adjust the bolt but how
tight to set it? I can't get at the belt to see how much deflection it
has once the guard comes down, can't do it with the guard up because
the cam isn't actuated. Belt appears to be some sort of fabric deal, not
leather. Help??

Since it is so easy to readjust (set screw at rear of cover), adjust
the tension just tight enough for the work you are doing. If the belt
slips, tighten it up a bit.

Also, when the lathe is not in use, release the tension. Either leave
the cover up, or shift the belt so it is cockeyed, on the small step
of both the spindle and countershaft pulley. The belt will last much
longer.

You might also want to check out the following resources:

Logan Lathe Users Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lathe-list

Logan Lathe FAQ
http://lathe.com/faq

Logan Actuator Co. online store
http://store.lathe.com

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/

Old February 9th 05, 08:51 PM
RoyJ

I was cutting a 6" backing plate for a 3 jaw chuck running in either the
mid or high speed pulleys, lathe seemed to plenty tight to make deeper
cuts, it would just stop the spindle cold. I did figure out how to check
tension of the tight belts by going in from underneath. After I
tightened thing up I seemed to have about 3/8" deflection with strong 2
finger pressure. Sounds about right.

I figured that taking the tension off was a good plan, have been doing
that.

I bought the Logan from a estate, used by a hobbist. Unit seems to be
pretty tight and straight for being around 60 years old. (SN in the
21,000 range)