dcs2005

Default clausing colchester clutch adjustment

Hi, I recently got a used Clausing Colchester 17" lathe (1978) in
pretty good shape. I'm having 2 problems with it. First the clutch
slips excessively during engagement at high spindle speeds. Second,
the clutch lever tends to fall down to neutral, i.e. it does not stay
engaged sometimes.

Does anyone have experience with adjustments for these problems?

Thanks.

Proctologically Violated©®

Those clutches are a real PITA--and can be very expensive from the factory,
altho if you hunt around you can get replacement plates pretty cheap. I
think Grand Machinery Exchange in NYC might have a lead.

In my nightmare a few years ago, there is a chromed knurled wheel at one end
of the set plates that you turn to adjust the clutch tension, if it isn't
already maxed out. You access it from the back, IIRC, by removing a small
plate. We were minimally successful, and sold the lathe as it was.

I've heard that some people just run a hardened pin thru the whole clutch
assembly, and finagle the operation, I would imagine, by having the motor
come to a complete stop after each operation.

This is why some prefer the C-C roundheads. But the squares have all those
pretty colors on the front plate!

The falling handle has gotta be a weak spring/detent. Follow the linkage.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"dcs2005" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I recently got a used Clausing Colchester 17" lathe (1978) in
pretty good shape. I'm having 2 problems with it. First the clutch
slips excessively during engagement at high spindle speeds. Second,
the clutch lever tends to fall down to neutral, i.e. it does not stay
engaged sometimes.

Does anyone have experience with adjustments for these problems?

Thanks.

Tom

dcs2005 wrote:

Hi, I recently got a used Clausing Colchester 17" lathe (1978) in
pretty good shape. I'm having 2 problems with it. First the clutch
slips excessively during engagement at high spindle speeds. Second,
the clutch lever tends to fall down to neutral, i.e. it does not stay
engaged sometimes.

Does anyone have experience with adjustments for these problems?

Thanks.

The clutch adjustment instructions are normally printed on the
panel which covers clutches on the back of the headstock.
If they aren't there, I can send you a scan which keeps
it simple, as there are two different clutch types.

Tom

Jez

dcs2005 wrote:
Hi, I recently got a used Clausing Colchester 17" lathe (1978) in
pretty good shape. I'm having 2 problems with it. First the clutch
slips excessively during engagement at high spindle speeds. Second,
the clutch lever tends to fall down to neutral, i.e. it does not stay
engaged sometimes.

Does anyone have experience with adjustments for these problems?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problems with my "new" Colchester Master 2500...
I'll be having a look at it this weekend hopefully - I'll let you know
how I get on...

Cheers,

Jez.

dcs2005

I got mine squared away.. there is a shaft running through the apron
with a key slot cut into it. The clutch lever turns this shaft for
fwd/rev engagement. There is a sleeve with a key that fits over the
shaft. The key & slot is worn just enough that I am not getting enough
throw out of it. I can use the short clutch lever under the chuck & it
all works great. Clausing wants $460.00 !!!!!!! for the little sleeve
with the key inside it. Guess its time to make one....

I looked at the clutch plates & their ajdustment - no problems there
all in great shape...

MDH MDH is offline
Junior Member

Hi Tom. I have a colchester lathe the instructions have worn of the plate cover, are you still able to send a scan document.
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
dcs2005 wrote:

Hi, I recently got a used Clausing Colchester 17" lathe (1978) in
pretty good shape. I'm having 2 problems with it. First the clutch
slips excessively during engagement at high spindle speeds. Second,
the clutch lever tends to fall down to neutral, i.e. it does not stay
engaged sometimes.

Does anyone have experience with adjustments for these problems?

Thanks.

The clutch adjustment instructions are normally printed on the
panel which covers clutches on the back of the headstock.
If they aren't there, I can send you a scan which keeps
it simple, as there are two different clutch types.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Tom, jere wrote:
please Mr Tom send it o me I need it

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...nt-397035-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Tom, Andy taylor wrote:
Is tom still around??

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...nt-397035-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I disassembled the crossfeed screw on my causing Colchester 17 inch 1980 metal lathe. When l cleaned up the gin &reassembled it the indeed works bout the outfeed cuts off quickly. I can manually turn both ways with no problem. What did l change?