Leo Lichtman

Default Need some intro into riveting

"Ignoramus2238" wrote: (clip)Is there some cheap riveting system based on
hammers? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Forget hammers. Go to a hardware store and buy a beginning setup of pop
rivets.

Rex B

Pop rivet gun. About $20 -$30 for a good one.
Drill hole, insert rivet tool with rivet chucked up, squeeze until you
hear a POP. Discard stem. Repeat as required.

Ignoramus2238 wrote:
I am likely going to make a meat smoker out of a UPS box (see recent
thread). In the process, I will need to close up some of the
ventilation openings in the UPS, which I plan on doing by using thin
galvanized HVAC steel sheets. The question is how to attach them to
the UPS body. I could either use machine screws (like #6), or
rivets. I need to drill the sides in both instances, right? Is there
some cheap riveting system based on hammers? I am completely ignorant
about riveting. Thanks.

Joe Gorman

Rex B wrote:
Pop rivet gun. About $20 -$30 for a good one.
Drill hole, insert rivet tool with rivet chucked up, squeeze until you
hear a POP. Discard stem. Repeat as required.

Don't try to save time by letting the next stem push the current
one out. They come out really fast.
Joe