desperado

Default Trailer Brakes

my flatbed trailer was reaxled with mobile home axles. I would not use them
ever again on any trailer subject to a lot of use. I have heard that
statement by others before me and I can endorse it. Keep in mind that a
mobile home only is generally mobile from the factory to the site where the
home is to be erected, the axle only has to sustain one trip.
Being an engineer, I know that for such a limited use, I would not design
high quality parts into that axle. That must be the thinking for those who
make these axles. Mobile homes are notorious for having non standard
plumbing fittings and brake parts. I attempted to get electric brake parts
but was unsuccessful. I could not even get bushings for the spring hangars
and had to make my own from rod stock polyurethane turned in a lathe.
My magnets were larger than anything shown in the parts books. Some were
open circuited. I was able to look inside and see that the wire had
separated from the large coil wound inside but was still intact and
accessible. Couldn't solder it to the connecting wire to the vehicle as
there is too much thermal mass. Was able to have an electronic tech friend
of mine use crimps and that did the trick. The wires didn't have good strain
relief; again they only have to sustain one trip. I potted the hole where
the wire entered the magnet with RTV and it is still in service.
I had the brake shoes relined. that is not much of a problem for any good
auto parts store. All the rebuilder has to do is drill out the rivets, put
new shoes on and rerivet. The drums are not a big deal either and they can
turn them on a brake lathe.
I enjoy my trailer and it has given good service, but I spent a lot of
time chasing down parts, doing the lathe work and the electrical repairs.
Had I known how much trouble it would be in the beginning, I would have
tried to spend a little more time searching for old pickup axles or
something like that which is a bit more standard.
I tried the link given by Andy but got 404 file not found so a good source
of trailer parts for mobile axles is still up in the air as far as I am
concerned.
Stay away from anything that has to do with mobile homes.

"RJ" wrote in message
Depending on your location, this axle may not be legal. Check before
spending any $$$$.

Rick
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 23 Sep 2004 15:58:47 -0700, (David Lee) calmly
ranted:

Greetings,

I'm building a car hauling trailer using an old (and I do mean OLD)
house trailer axle of UNKNOWN manufacturer. The brakes shoes (2" X
12" dia) are shot. I went to the auto parts store and looked in the
book but none of the photos matched my parts. The magnet is round and
the brake drums have 5 taped holes in a wide pattern (not lug studs).
Can anyone help?

Most brake shops either stock replacements or can rebuild
yours for you.

I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon)
----------------------------

Andy Asberry

Start here http://www.southwestwheel.com/

wrote:

my flatbed trailer was reaxled with mobile home axles. I would not use them
ever again on any trailer subject to a lot of use. I have heard that
statement by others before me and I can endorse it. Keep in mind that a
mobile home only is generally mobile from the factory to the site where the
home is to be erected, the axle only has to sustain one trip.

Sad to say, the "mobile home" axles and a lot of heavy RV axles are
the same. The quality even on those designed to be trailered accross
country is aften pretty shaky - particularly on the older stuff. Keep
in mind a lot of the "mobile home" axles were manufactured some time
ago.

[...]

I towed a lot of farm tractors and equipment on a triple axle float
trailer that had 3 "mobile home" axles (and six brakes). It was
purpose built for the job with what, in the sixties, was the best on
the market.
It was a rare trip where we finished with more than 4 brakes working.

After rewiring my camping trailer brakes about8 years ago, I have not
had a problem - but I tie-wired everything so joints could not move
and was very careful how the wires were routed so no strain could be
exerted on the wires where they entered the magnets.
Guy I bought it from had just spent several hundred dollars having the
brakes redone at an RV dealers less than a year before I bought it -
and the brakes were inoperable when I got it - wires pulled loose in
the magnets.