carl mciver

Default Acquiring used propane tanks

Just thinking about calling up a couple local propane retailers and
asking for old tanks that are no longer certified. However, I got to
thinking about what I would say, and wondering how I would not come across
as an idiot (not much effort there!) that's more likely to blow themselves
up.
So, what's the best way to approach a dealer and get some old tanks, or
even some larger ones, like the 40lb tanks, which I think have a few more
uses than the smaller ones. Do many places charge for them or are they more
happy just to see them go away?

Grady

Around here, larger ones are sucked up faster than you can imagine. Seems
like everyone and his brother wants to build some sort of a BBQ rig....... I
have been looking for something in the 200 to 30 inch od and about 6 foot
long for some time now.

"carl mciver" wrote in message
ink.net...
Just thinking about calling up a couple local propane retailers and
asking for old tanks that are no longer certified. However, I got to
thinking about what I would say, and wondering how I would not come across
as an idiot (not much effort there!) that's more likely to blow themselves
up.
So, what's the best way to approach a dealer and get some old tanks, or
even some larger ones, like the 40lb tanks, which I think have a few more
uses than the smaller ones. Do many places charge for them or are they
more
happy just to see them go away?

Grant Erwin

carl mciver wrote:

Just thinking about calling up a couple local propane retailers and
asking for old tanks that are no longer certified. However, I got to
thinking about what I would say, and wondering how I would not come across
as an idiot (not much effort there!) that's more likely to blow themselves
up.
So, what's the best way to approach a dealer and get some old tanks, or
even some larger ones, like the 40lb tanks, which I think have a few more
uses than the smaller ones. Do many places charge for them or are they more
happy just to see them go away?

Where do you live, Egypt? Jeez, around here used BBQ tanks seem like
they're everywhere. I wouldn't use a dealer, no way, not for the little tanks.
Just ask around. Try http://www.craigslist.org to see if there's a CL near you,
those are great, just post a wanted ad. Amazing what people will give away.

GWE

There is a pile of out of date/rusty ones next to near every filling
station.
They are probably paying to dispose of them.