parts washer solvent?

Old January 12th 05, 12:37 AM
Grant Erwin

Default parts washer solvent?

I have a Graymills drum-mounted parts washer. Last time it needed solvent
I plunked down something like $75 for 10 gallons of Super Agitene at Grainger.
NFW I'm going to do that again. It's time to clean it out and put in new
solvent, and I'm looking for something I can homebrew or buy cheaply,
ideally locally. I know that NAPA stores carry stuff called "Solvent" in
one-gallon bottles but that stuff is brown and sort of nasty. That's what
I used to use in my old 4-gallon import, and I didn't like it.

I know I'm not the only one on this NG with a parts washer. What do you use?

GWE
Old January 12th 05, 02:18 AM
JR North

HF has solvent for their parts washers. Haven't tried it...you could
check the Everett store and sniff some- it's pink if I remember correctly
JR
Dweller in the cellar
Grant Erwin wrote:

I have a Graymills drum-mounted parts washer. Last time it needed solvent
I plunked down something like $75 for 10 gallons of Super Agitene at
Grainger.
NFW I'm going to do that again. It's time to clean it out and put in new
solvent, and I'm looking for something I can homebrew or buy cheaply,
ideally locally. I know that NAPA stores carry stuff called "Solvent" in
one-gallon bottles but that stuff is brown and sort of nasty. That's what
I used to use in my old 4-gallon import, and I didn't like it.

I know I'm not the only one on this NG with a parts washer. What do you
use?

GWE

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Old January 12th 05, 03:30 AM
carl mciver

I use paint thinner. Cheap, and started using this after asking the
same question as you did of another group.

Old January 12th 05, 04:09 AM
Peter Grey

I've always used mineral spirits with some ATF mixed in. The ATF seemed to
make it a little easier on the hands, although these days I use gloves more
often than not.

Peter

Old January 12th 05, 04:55 AM
Harold & Susan Vordos

"DanG" wrote in message
Stoddard solvent is the official name. It smells, feels, and acts
just like mineral spirits paint thinner to me.

Yep! That's exactly what the "big boys" use, assuming they're using a
hydrocarbon solvent. Anyone notice one thing about the name? Solvent?
It truly is one, not a thin oil. If you let parts drip dry, they are free
of oil, assuming your final wash is with oil free solvent. I *never*
use anything aside from mineral spirits or Stoddard for cleaning. The use
of kerosene or diesel makes no sense. Neither of them are intended to be
used as a solvent, nor do they clean as well as solvents do. Further, can't
stand the smell. Stoddard or mineral spirits are each much easier on the
nose. In the end, if you have no way to dispose of them when they're fully
contaminated, all you have to do is set them outdoors and allow the solvent
to evaporate. Leaves you with very little sludge to dispose of.

Does anyone need to say anything about *not* using gasoline? Great way
to reduce the family gene pool..

Harold

Old January 12th 05, 04:56 AM
Aaron Anderson

Hello Grant, I just replaced the solvent in mine i get it at kovitch
William's in ballard 235(i think) cleaning solvent less than 20 dollars
for five gallons the real stuff, smells just like the stuff you would
see at a repair shop.

Old January 12th 05, 08:10 PM
John Kunkel

"DanG" wrote in message
Stoddard solvent is the official name. It smells, feels, and acts just
like mineral spirits paint thinner to me.

Pay a visit to your local petroleum distributor and you'll likely see a huge
tank labeled mineral spirits. From this one tank they will fill drums
labeled mineral spirits, paint thinner, solvent.

ink.net...

Old January 12th 05, 08:59 PM
Tim Killian

We use a 80/20 mix of Simple Green Crystal (aqueous cleaner) and
Kool-Mist 77 (aqueous cutting fluid), diluted 8:1 with water. Cleans
great, doesn't burn or smell, and when you're done with it, just dump it
down the drain.

Stoddard solvent is the official name. It smells, feels, and acts just
like mineral spirits paint thinner to me.

Pay a visit to your local petroleum distributor and you'll likely see a huge
tank labeled mineral spirits. From this one tank they will fill drums
labeled mineral spirits, paint thinner, solvent.

hlink.net...

Old January 12th 05, 10:54 PM
Mark Rand

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:10:32 -0800, "John Kunkel"
wrote:

"DanG" wrote in message
Stoddard solvent is the official name. It smells, feels, and acts just
like mineral spirits paint thinner to me.

Pay a visit to your local petroleum distributor and you'll likely see a huge
tank labeled mineral spirits. From this one tank they will fill drums
labeled mineral spirits, paint thinner, solvent.

No I won't.......

http://www.christianpayne.com/rossoil/

Mark Rand
RTFM