Craig

Default You guys were right!! (was "gear motor powering VS bandsaw")

Well, I wired up the gearmotor and controller tonight to try it before
I went any further. You guys were right. Not enough torque, I tried
cutting 1/4" HR flat stock and it came to a stop, would probably cut
1/8", to aggrivated to try. Anyone want to make me an offer on a Leeson
motor with KB controller???
Next, is there an affordable gear reducer out there? I will
need somewhere around 45:1 +or- the wheels are 16" dia. I have a 1.5HP
motor sitting around waiting for a home, could use that.Its 1720 rpm. I
guess I could always use a jackshaft setup to get it down there, with
4-step cone pulleys to give me speeds for steel and alum. etc.... Any
thoughts??? Would e-bay have reducers? I never bought anything off
there before,is it more trouble than its worth?
Any suggestions or help is appreciatted again,
Thank you,
Craig

Winston

Craig wrote:
(...)

Ned,
I adj. a couple of the "trimpots" with out a lot of diff.
being made. I did not add any resistor, the controll came to me ready
to use, it is a model KBRG-212D Regenarative DC motor control. I
followed the instructions, works nice, just no where near enough
torque. The motor is a Leeson Perm Magnet model # CM34D25NZ10C 40:1
ratio

The large print says the controller can be adjusted for 1.7,
2.5, 3.3, 5.0, 7.5 amps.

www.electrosales.com/kb/pdf/kbrg212d.pdf

For what current is the motor rated?

--Winston

Ned Simmons

In article .com,
says...

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article . com,
says...
Well, I wired up the gearmotor and controller tonight to try it

before
I went any further. You guys were right. Not enough torque, I tried
cutting 1/4" HR flat stock and it came to a stop, would probably

cut
1/8", to aggrivated to try. Anyone want to make me an offer on a

Leeson
motor with KB controller???

Did you turn up the torque limit and install the proper HP resistor

in
the KB controller? Is it a KBIC?

Ned Simmons

Ned,
I adj. a couple of the "trimpots" with out a lot of diff.
being made. I did not add any resistor, the controll came to me ready
to use, it is a model KBRG-212D Regenarative DC motor control. I
followed the instructions, works nice, just no where near enough
torque. The motor is a Leeson Perm Magnet model # CM34D25NZ10C 40:1
ratio
I know nothing about electronics, especially this type of
thing, maybe Im trying to use the wrong type of stuff all together.
Might just look for a gear reducer, I have a 1.5hp motor sitting around
Craig

Something doesn't seem right, Craig. A 1/4HP motor with that reduction
should give you about 30# pull at the rim of your 16" wheels, and
considerably more for a short time. Got an ammeter you can put either on
the motor leads (DC) or the AC input to the drive? If not, can you come
up with a *safe* way to measure rim pull? Perhaps a spring scale
attached to a rope wrapped around the wheel? If you have the drive set
up properly the motor won't mind being stalled for a short time.

That's a pretty complicated drive to run a bandsaw. I'd double check the
jumpers and the settings on the pots, especially both current limits and
the IR compensation. Are you running on 120 or 240 volts? Is the motor
90 or 180 volts?

Ned Simmons

Craig

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article

. com,
says...
[...]

sorry for the lag, I`ve been sick (still sick), the input is
120 volts, the motor is 90 v DC, amps is 2.3, I`ve read through the
instruction manual and checked stuff, but I will check it all again. It
just does not seem to have the torque required to cut steel. Again, I
know nothing about this stuff, so its all new to me. I got the motor
and controller for a reasonable price thats why I tried it. I have a
Surplus Center motor and controller also that didnt have enough torque
either. It was suggested that I run that through a 80:1 or 100:1
reducer ( Im not worried about being able to cut wood at high speed,
just metal, mostly HR and CR and Alum.).I am now trying to scrounge a
right angle gear box, have to go Sat. to check out the surplus store.
Thank you for your help, and sorry about the delay on my
part,

Craig

Winston

Craig wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:

(Snip)

Ned,
(...) the motor is 90 v DC, amps is 2.3,

The large print says the controller can be adjusted for 1.7,
2.5, 3.3, 5.0, 7.5 amps.

www.electrosales.com/kb/pdf/kbrg212d.pdf

There is a tiny jumper block along one edge opposite the
transistory-looking things on the heatsink (SCRs).
It is labeled 'J3'.

The jumper should be placed at the '2.5' setting.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd
Contact: Annie Liu
Tel:+86-755-27322652
Fax:+86-755-27323949

Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Baoan Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China