Cutting oil? honing oil? whats the difference?

Old January 5th 05, 03:39 PM
Thomas Allemani

Default Cutting oil? honing oil? whats the difference?

Greetings : I am "breaking the glaze" on an engine and I have light cutting
oil here but no "honing" oil. Went to the local auto parts shops and got a
blank stare from most when I asked for honing oil. The napa store can sell
me a 55 gal drum of it. Dont need that much, for 1 engine, Sooo= my question
is can I use light cutting oil for honing the engine?
And whats the difference? A machanic told me they used # 10 motor oil for
this in the shop he worked in. But I thought to ask this group before I
start anyway. Any information would be appericated, Thanks Tom.

Old January 5th 05, 05:24 PM
[email protected]

Thomas Allemani wrote:
Greetings : I am "breaking the glaze" on an engine and I have light

cutting
oil here but no "honing" oil. Went to the local auto parts shops and

got a
blank stare from most when I asked for honing oil. The napa store can

sell
me a 55 gal drum of it. Dont need that much, for 1 engine, Sooo= my

question
is can I use light cutting oil for honing the engine?
And whats the difference? A machanic told me they used # 10 motor oil

for
this in the shop he worked in. But I thought to ask this group before

start anyway. Any information would be appericated, Thanks Tom.

If you use one of the "cluster of grapes" type of hones, you need to
use the specific honing oil that the manufacturer recommends or the
abrasive balls will disintegrate. If you're just using a hone with
standard long stones, light cutting oil should work, it's just needed
to keep the stones from plugging up and keep the work cool, use
liberally.

Stan

Old January 6th 05, 05:45 AM
CT

I would assume a plain ol bottle of 3 in 1 oil would be sufficient to keep
the stones from loading up.
That's what I use to sharpen knives with and I have been toolmaking for over
20 year and have never found a "bad" oil to hone/sharpen.
I would not recommend motor oil though, as it is made to reduce friction
with its additives.

CT

"Thomas Allemani" wrote in message

Thanks Stan :]
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 08:41 AM
Dave Baker

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Thomas Allemani wrote in message
Greetings : I am "breaking the glaze" on an engine and I have light

cutting
oil here but no "honing" oil. Went to the local auto parts shops and got a
blank stare from most when I asked for honing oil. The napa store can sell
me a 55 gal drum of it. Dont need that much, for 1 engine, Sooo= my

question
is can I use light cutting oil for honing the engine?
And whats the difference? A machanic told me they used # 10 motor oil for
this in the shop he worked in. But I thought to ask this group before I
start anyway. Any information would be appericated, Thanks Tom.

Sunnen do a purpose made honing oil but like all Sunnen stuff it's
ridiculously expensive. Paraffin (kerosene) with some oil mixed in to
thicken it up a bit makes a serviceable alternative. I use the old paraffin
from my parts cleaning tank so it's already a bit thicker and oily and I
then add some more oil to bulk it up. Maybe 1 part oil to 3 parts paraffin.
I've honed engine blocks with it for 15 years and although I'm sure the
right honing oil would help me remove material a bit faster it does the job
just fine and it's basically cost free. I imagine diesel or central heating
oil would be equally good instead of the kerosene as they are basically
similar hydrocarbons. Ideally you want something fairly thin and a constant
flow of it from a pumped source or someone standing next to you with a
squeezy bottle. As well as helping the stone work it also keeps the block at
a more constant temperature. Honing generates a lot of heat.

Old January 6th 05, 08:42 AM
bw

"Thomas Allemani" wrote in message
Greetings : I am "breaking the glaze" on an engine and I have light
cutting oil here but no "honing" oil. Went to the local auto parts shops
and got a blank stare from most when I asked for honing oil. The napa
store can sell me a 55 gal drum of it. Dont need that much, for 1 engine,
Sooo= my question is can I use light cutting oil for honing the engine?
And whats the difference? A machanic told me they used # 10 motor oil for
this in the shop he worked in. But I thought to ask this group before I
start anyway. Any information would be appericated, Thanks Tom.

Before the modern stuff, kerosene was common. Also Lard Oil, pretty much
kerosene with Crisco.

Old January 6th 05, 02:07 PM
Gunner

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:28:31 -0600, "Thomas Allemani"
wrote:

Thanks Stan :]
wrote in message
roups.com...

Thomas Allemani wrote:
[...]

Most of the guys around these parts simply use kerosene or more
commonly...WD-40.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
Old January 7th 05, 02:47 AM
Tom

I hone alot of 2-stroke cylinders right in my solvent tank using plain ald
stoddard solvent(mineral spirits). Pump it in through the exhaust ports. Not
really looking for cutting oil, just something to cool the stones a bit and keep
them clean.
Must work, these are kart engines that do quite well against the best engines in
the country............

Tom