Default Making a Rolling Mill?s

I'm needing to be able to take some round f the appropriate diameter
and flatten it into a rectangle about .05 x .014. I'm planning on
making a simple rolling mill and wonder about how many steps it takes
to get to my finished size. Is there some formula or just how would you
figure it out. I'm going to be using brass, german silver, and sterling
silver.
I figured I would make some .05 wide grooves of varing depths in on of
my rolls. The store bought Rolling Mills I've seen in Jewelry Catalogs
all seem to be able to adjust the height of the upper roll but I wonder
if this is needed when I am only gong to evr be dealing with at most
two sizes. I was planning on making it so there was .001 clearance
between my rolls.
Anyone who actually knows something about this is invited to tell me
if this sound like it has a chanch of working.
Ken

Fred R

You mean something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
(watch the wraparound)
$175
--
Fred R
________________

For such a small wire, you should be able to do it in one roll if the

wire is annealed.
.030 dia. wire is what you need.
You can turn your metal lathe into a crude rolling mill if you set

the
bottom roller in some kind of bearing block on the cross-slide, with

an
appropriately sized shaft chucked in the lathe for the top roller.
Size the top roller so that the bottom roller will slip under with

zero+
clearance, then just advance the cross-slide until you get the

desired gap.

Ken Grunke

Thats a great idea and I'm going to try it.
Thanks Ken