yourname

Default Dan-Mig update

I fear for your haelth if you ever get in front of a decent TIG welder......

Gunner wrote:
I swapped tanks today at the local welding supply (PraxAir) and got a
tank of 25/75 per the suggestions of the welders here.

As I mentioned some time ago, I managed to scrounge an old Dan-Mig mig
welder. 220 vts, 200 amps...Model 140/200, that had not been used in a
number of years. It is filled with a big assed spool (30 lbs?) of
wire.
Previous to this, my only experience had been with a Harbor Freight
flux core machine..with which I had one unforgettable bad welding
session (blush)

Anyways..to make a long story short....OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a welder!!! Jumping catfish! This thing makes even me look
good. I must have burned at least 200 feet of wire today, just
noodling around with the machine. I would weld, then try to test to
destruction with a hammer.

I made thin welds on thin stock, fat welds on big stock, weaves, runs,
fillets, I even managed to weld two string bean cans together. The
wire is .035, so I couldnt get down too fine in amps and still get an
arc going, but I managed to weld those two cans together and it looked
pretty damned good (for me anyways).

I butt welded two pieces of .05 sheetmetal and didnt burn through!
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I intentionally burned through, I was able to cleanly fill the
hole. I figured out Stitch Mode and its way cool for some things.

I remembered what folks said about first getting the puddle going,
then listening to that sweet frying bacon sound. IT WORKS!!

The only down side is I think the CFMH dial gage is f*cked up as it
will not go below 30. I scrounged a flow type gage with a little ball
bearing in it some time back, and Ill try to plumb it in and see if it
does the job. The guy at the welding supply suggested 15-22 CFMH, and
I had to putz with the flow rate to get a consistant arc and the gage
shows about 31 CFMH. but does not go much lower.

The little HF flux core machine got stuffed away in a corner, never to
be used again.

I think this Dan Mig machine is made by the same folks who make Airco,
as the hardware is very similar, and the data inside the cover is in
English and what appear to be Danish.

Im just pleased as a new pup and had to tell somebody. When I told my
wife, she simply looked bored and said "Thats nice, could you take out
the garbage?"

Humph! Women!

Now my next project is to see about the Big Hobart I scrounged. It
starts up, fans run, (I had to change it to 220 from 480). I was told
that it will not stick weld without either the foot pedal hooked up or
a jumper plug installed (which I dont have) and the foot pedal
attaches to the Plasma Torch control, not the Hobart itself.

Hobart said it was made in the mid 80s, before Hobart sold to Miller
and the manual is $30. I guess Ill have to bite the bullet next month
and order the manual..cringe.

Gunner
"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."
-- Senator John F. Kennedy, (D) 1960

Gunner

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:18:54 GMT, yourname wrote:

I fear for your haelth if you ever get in front of a decent TIG welder......

How so?

Gunner

Gunner wrote:
I swapped tanks today at the local welding supply (PraxAir) and got a
tank of 25/75 per the suggestions of the welders here.

As I mentioned some time ago, I managed to scrounge an old Dan-Mig mig
welder. 220 vts, 200 amps...Model 140/200, that had not been used in a
number of years. It is filled with a big assed spool (30 lbs?) of

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
rhncue

I may be speaking out of turn here but what I believe no-name is trying
to let you know is that if you got this excited over the mig-welder you
might go into cardiac arrest over the performance of a good Tig.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building fine pool cues for real pool players at affordable prices.