Jon Anderson

Default Machine shop tools stolen, Northern Calif.

A local small shop had a fair number of machinist and mold making tools
stolen Dec 24th in the Grass Valley area. General machine shop and mold
making specific tools were taken, many bearing their owner's name, Steve
Seward.

If you run across any tooling FS or auction bearing his name, please
contact the Nevada County Sheriff's dept. at 530-470-2400

Jon

AZOTIC

A local small shop had a fair number of machinist and mold making tools
stolen Dec 24th in the Grass Valley area. General machine shop and mold
making specific tools were taken, many bearing their owner's name, Steve
Seward.

If you run across any tooling FS or auction bearing his name, please
contact the Nevada County Sheriff's dept. at 530-470-2400

Jon

Watch ebay closely.

Check local pawn shops and flea markets.

Best Regards
Tom.

Richard J Kinch

Steve Mackay writes:

A local small shop had a fair number of machinist and mold making
tools stolen Dec 24th in the Grass Valley area. General machine shop
and mold making specific tools were taken, many bearing their owner's
name, Steve Seward.

Watch ebay closely.

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

Steve Mackay

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:58:23 -0600, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Steve Mackay writes:

A local small shop had a fair number of machinist and mold making
tools stolen Dec 24th in the Grass Valley area. General machine shop
and mold making specific tools were taken, many bearing their owner's
name, Steve Seward.

Watch ebay closely.

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

I *SERIOUSLY* doubt if the thieves will ever mention his name in the
auction itself. I would just page through machinists tools, and look for
the stolen tools in question.

Mike Henry

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
Steve Mackay writes:

A local small shop had a fair number of machinist and mold making
tools stolen Dec 24th in the Grass Valley area. General machine shop
and mold making specific tools were taken, many bearing their owner's
name, Steve Seward.

Watch ebay closely.

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

It seems unlikely that the thief would put the name of his victim in the
description of his lIsting. Stanger things have happened, though.

Richard J Kinch

Steve Mackay writes:

I would just page through machinists tools, and look for
the stolen tools in question.

"If you don't find it in the Index, look very carefully through the entire
catalogue."
--Consumer's Guide, Sears, Roebuck and Co (1897)
(As cited by Don Knuth, TAOCP Vol 3)
Cliff

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:10:41 -0600, Steve Mackay
wrote:

Watch ebay closely.

Much more likely to show up in local pawn shops, newspaper
ads, other local shops. Or be a revenge thing.

Were just ONE person's tools taken but not others?
Were all taken or just certain ones?

How were they taken?
--
Cliff
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:58:23 -0600, Richard J Kinch
calmly ranted:

Steve Mackay writes:

A local small shop had a fair number of machinist and mold making
tools stolen Dec 24th in the Grass Valley area. General machine shop
and mold making specific tools were taken, many bearing their owner's
name, Steve Seward.

Watch ebay closely.

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

Did you try the Ebay "Stolen Goods, Cheap" section?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Richard J Kinch

Larry Jaques writes:

Did you try the Ebay "Stolen Goods, Cheap" section?

That's just an alias for "All Categories".
Jon Anderson

Richard J Kinch wrote:

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

Well, if I'd stolen some tools and was selling them on ebay, I sure as
hell wouldn't be putting the former owner's name in the auction...
Way too much on ebay for any one person to check them all and most pics
are nowhere near clear enough to identify such markings. I do get around
to all the used dealers in the area. Criminals can be pretty dumb, but
Grass Valley is a pretty small town to be hawking stolen tools right in
the area. I don't know Steve, but called him after seeing his ad in a
local online listing, and thought I'd put it out into a wider venue.
Chances are they'll be sold in some small flea market, but lots of guys
here, especially r.c.m. buy tools on ebay, figured it couldn't hurt to
mention it.

Oh, there's a $1000 reward, this I presume would be for info leading to
the recovery of the bulk of the tools and not just a single item.

Jon
Jon Anderson

Cliff wrote:

Much more likely to show up in local pawn shops, newspaper
ads, other local shops. Or be a revenge thing.

It's a small town with relatively few machine shops and no pawn shops.

Were just ONE person's tools taken but not others?

One man shop. He wasn't cleaned out, but hurt pretty good.

How were they taken?

Illegally of course... I didn't ask for details.

Jon
Andy Asberry

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:10:32 GMT, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

Criminals can be pretty dumb, but

Jon

They certainly can. I once had a thief try to sell me an air
compressor he had taken out of my service truck he had stolen. I held
him for the cops. They found 42 stolen vehicles at his place in the
country. Many Mercedes and big trucks. Over a million $.
Wayne

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

Criminals can be pretty dumb, but

Jon

They certainly can. I once had a thief try to sell me an air
compressor he had taken out of my service truck he had stolen. I held
him for the cops. They found 42 stolen vehicles at his place in the
country. Many Mercedes and big trucks. Over a million $.

How did you hold him? Seems like he would just get
up and leave after a while.

Wayne

Dave Hinz

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

Criminals can be pretty dumb, but

Jon

They certainly can. I once had a thief try to sell me an air
compressor he had taken out of my service truck he had stolen. I held
him for the cops. They found 42 stolen vehicles at his place in the
country. Many Mercedes and big trucks. Over a million $.

How did you hold him? Seems like he would just get
up and leave after a while.

Depends on if it's a concealed-carry state or not, I suppose. Armed victims
tend to make criminals a bit more ...docile...

Frank J Warner

In article , Jon
Anderson wrote:

Cliff wrote:

Much more likely to show up in local pawn shops, newspaper
ads, other local shops. Or be a revenge thing.

It's a small town with relatively few machine shops and no pawn shops.

Were just ONE person's tools taken but not others?

One man shop. He wasn't cleaned out, but hurt pretty good.

Someone did that to my father a couple decades ago. Took all his
machinist's tools, but only the good stuff.

Turned out to be one of my cousins -- his nephew -- broke in one night
and stole the stuff for drug money.

You might ask the victim if he's got any relatives gone bad recently.

-Frank

--
(email: change out to in)
Andy Asberry

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.

Criminals can be pretty dumb, but

Jon

They certainly can. I once had a thief try to sell me an air
compressor he had taken out of my service truck he had stolen. I held
him for the cops. They found 42 stolen vehicles at his place in the
country. Many Mercedes and big trucks. Over a million $.

How did you hold him? Seems like he would just get
up and leave after a while.

Wayne

Nothing physical. Basically a convincing command, "Sit/stay or I'll
rip your damn head off."
Don Foreman

On 3 Jan 2005 22:33:23 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Depends on if it's a concealed-carry state or not, I suppose. Armed victims
tend to make criminals a bit more ...docile...

Would you shoot a thief if he disobeyed your command to "stay"? I
wouldn't risk my freedom to catch a thief, though I suppose there's
little downside to trying a bluff.

I really don't know how stuff like this works in real life, as opposed
to TV and movies. I certainly understand the prudence of being armed
and skilled if one goes in harm's way or lives in a risky place but I
(possibly naively) believe that killing someone for disobeying you
could cost far more than it's worth -- and shooting but not killing
them might cost even more.

I may be a dinosaur here. I enjoy the precision of nice firearms,
and spent many enjoyable hours with my rifle as a boy, and I am a
veteran. I hunted as a boy but have not hunted since my military
service other than shooting rabbits that eat the flowers in Mary's
garden. Flowers feed rabbit, pop, rabbit feeds new flowers.
Perhaps there is a lot I don't understand about how responsible
civilians may use lethal force against other civilians.

I'm ambivalent about gun control for that reason. I oppose it in
principle, but I find some of the attitude exhibited by
second-amendment activists to be disturbing.

jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

[...]

And here is the trouble - Don, you have a great deal in common
with most firearm owners. I think you you enumerated my feelings
on the matter nearly to an iota.

Yet the fringe elements on *both* sides of the issue hardly
understand the sentiments in the comments above. Nor do they
care to, because those sentiments fly in the face of most of
their dogma. So the pro- and anti- factions continue to
stirr up trouble.

The anti-s wihout a clue that you view your firearm as yet
another wrench in the drawer.

The pro-s without a clue that you are deeply disquieted by
the essence of almost all their political activism.

sigh.

Jim

please reply to:

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:16:10 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:
On 3 Jan 2005 22:33:23 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Depends on if it's a concealed-carry state or not, I suppose. Armed victims
tend to make criminals a bit more ...docile...

Would you shoot a thief if he disobeyed your command to "stay"? I
wouldn't risk my freedom to catch a thief, though I suppose there's
little downside to trying a bluff.

Of course not. Unless he is threatening you, there
is no justification to shoot him. But, _he_ doesn't have to know
that, does he.

I really don't know how stuff like this works in real life, as opposed
to TV and movies. I certainly understand the prudence of being armed
and skilled if one goes in harm's way or lives in a risky place but I
(possibly naively) believe that killing someone for disobeying you
could cost far more than it's worth -- and shooting but not killing
them might cost even more.

You are basing this statement on your flawed supposition.

I'm ambivalent about gun control for that reason. I oppose it in
principle, but I find some of the attitude exhibited by
second-amendment activists to be disturbing.

Well, the fact is, that person-on-person violent crimes have gone
down in each state which has allowed their law-abiding citizens to
choose to carry if they wish, and CCW holders have been astonishingly
well behaved. Basically, I think it comes down to this: good people
can be trusted, and bad people cannot. Let the good people defend
themselves from the bad people.

B.B.

In article ,
Frank J Warner wrote:

[...]

One man shop. He wasn't cleaned out, but hurt pretty good.

Someone did that to my father a couple decades ago. Took all his
machinist's tools, but only the good stuff.

Turned out to be one of my cousins -- his nephew -- broke in one night
and stole the stuff for drug money.

You might ask the victim if he's got any relatives gone bad recently.

What happened to your cousin?

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Frank J Warner

In article
, B.B.
u wrote:

In article ,
Frank J Warner wrote:

[...]

One man shop. He wasn't cleaned out, but hurt pretty good.

Someone did that to my father a couple decades ago. Took all his
machinist's tools, but only the good stuff.

Turned out to be one of my cousins -- his nephew -- broke in one night
and stole the stuff for drug money.

You might ask the victim if he's got any relatives gone bad recently.

What happened to your cousin?

Spent some time in jail, then rehab, then he disappeared. Nobody's seen
him in 15 years.

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
B.B.

In article ,
Frank J Warner wrote:

[...]

You might ask the victim if he's got any relatives gone bad recently.

What happened to your cousin?

Spent some time in jail, then rehab, then he disappeared. Nobody's seen
him in 15 years.

-Frank

Same kind of thing happened to my father's youngest brother, but he
reappeared about ten years back. Managed to straighten himself out and
has a little store in Austin.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Uncle Lucky

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

I searched eBay for "Steve Seward". 0 hits.
Criminals can be pretty dumb, but

Jon

They certainly can. I once had a thief try to sell me an air
compressor he had taken out of my service truck he had stolen. I held
him for the cops. They found 42 stolen vehicles at his place in the
country. Many Mercedes and big trucks. Over a million $.

How did you hold him? Seems like he would just get
up and leave after a while.

Depends on if it's a concealed-carry state or not, I suppose. Armed victims
tend to make criminals a bit more ...docile...

NC is a CC state but it is unlawful to make a citizens arrest. Legally you
cannot hold a person against their will here no matter the circumstances. I
learned this while taking the conceal carry course a couple years ago. The
instructor took delight in pointing out several discrepancies between common
sense and the law. That being understood, I'd still "hold" a perp till the
cops arrive and worry about a possible lawsuit later.
Health & Peace,
Lance

CusMarsh

try nc gen stat 15a-404
Richard J Kinch

Uncle Lucky writes:

NC is a CC state but it is unlawful to make a citizens arrest.
Legally you cannot hold a person against their will here no matter the
circumstances.

Bunk.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...S_15A-404.html
Gunner

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:08:16 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Uncle Lucky writes:

NC is a CC state but it is unlawful to make a citizens arrest.
Legally you cannot hold a person against their will here no matter the
circumstances.

Bunk.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...S_15A-404.html

Cool..I was wondering about that. Id never heard of a state that
didnt have Citizens Arrest.

Just be aware that you CAN be charged with false arrest in some cases
if you are wrong.

In California, a police officer is Required to take custody of an
actor who has been placed under citizens arrest and in some cases,
will have the victim actually place the perp under arrest so he can
take them. Spousal abuse is one occasionally used this way.
A further note..a police officer (here) who refuses to take custody,
will be tried and convicted of a felony for refusal. On the other
hand....if he takes custody of a person falsely arrested, he is not
liable for any criminal or civil charges/suits.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Martin H. Eastburn

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Uncle Lucky writes:

NC is a CC state but it is unlawful to make a citizens arrest.
Legally you cannot hold a person against their will here no matter the
circumstances.

Bunk.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...S_15A-404.html

There is an exception - and a good one at that.

Just when you call in ask if you can assist in capture and hold for the officers.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...S_15A-405.html

If allowed to assist - one is the same as an officer - up to the extent of the medical / life is
paid for by the state.

e.g. - I need a posse - you , you and all of you - lets go get them !

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:32:08 -0700, Dirk Gently
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 03:57:51 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Cool..I was wondering about that. Id never heard of a state that
didnt have Citizens Arrest.

Just be aware that you CAN be charged with false arrest in some cases
if you are wrong.

Here in AZ you can make a citizen's arrest but the laws are so screwed up that
you'll probably end up in jail and sued yourself, not matter how right you were.
It's best if only one side is talking when the cops show up.

Better yet if you just point a gun at the guy and tell him to stay put
until the cops arrive. Don't call it a citizen's arrest.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Gunner

wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 03:57:51 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Cool..I was wondering about that. Id never heard of a state that
didnt have Citizens Arrest.

Just be aware that you CAN be charged with false arrest in some cases
if you are wrong.

Here in AZ you can make a citizen's arrest but the laws are so screwed up that
you'll probably end up in jail and sued yourself, not matter how right you were.
It's best if only one side is talking when the cops show up.

Ayup..its hard to get conflicting testimony from a chalk outline.

Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Jon Danniken

"Gunner" wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Gunner wrote:
Cool..I was wondering about that. Id never heard of a state that
didnt have Citizens Arrest.

Just be aware that you CAN be charged with false arrest in some cases
if you are wrong.

Here in AZ you can make a citizen's arrest but the laws are so screwed up

that
you'll probably end up in jail and sued yourself, not matter how right

you were.
It's best if only one side is talking when the cops show up.

Ayup..its hard to get conflicting testimony from a chalk outline.

We had a similar situation happen here in Eugene last week, with one guy
ending up dead. It's heading for the grand jury this week for a decision on
whether or not charges are filed:
http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...folo.0114.html

Jon

Uncle Lucky

wrote:

Uncle Lucky writes:

NC is a CC state but it is unlawful to make a citizens arrest.
Legally you cannot hold a person against their will here no matter the
circumstances.

Bunk.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...ction/Chapter_

15A/GS_15A-404.html

Cool..I was wondering about that. Id never heard of a state that
didnt have Citizens Arrest.

Just be aware that you CAN be charged with false arrest in some cases
if you are wrong.

In California, a police officer is Required to take custody of an
actor who has been placed under citizens arrest and in some cases,
will have the victim actually place the perp under arrest so he can
take them. Spousal abuse is one occasionally used this way.
A further note..a police officer (here) who refuses to take custody,
will be tried and convicted of a felony for refusal. On the other
hand....if he takes custody of a person falsely arrested, he is not
liable for any criminal or civil charges/suits.

Gunner

I stand corrected! Perhaps the law was changed since I took the CC course?
This IS a revelation and I appreciate the feedback.
Sorry for posting erroneous information.
Health & Peace,
Lance

Richard J Kinch

Uncle Lucky writes:

Perhaps the law was changed since I took the CC course?

More likely, the instructor was a fool.
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:51:21 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 03:57:51 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Cool..I was wondering about that. Id never heard of a state that
didnt have Citizens Arrest.

Just be aware that you CAN be charged with false arrest in some cases
if you are wrong.

Here in AZ you can make a citizen's arrest but the laws are so screwed up that
you'll probably end up in jail and sued yourself, not matter how right you were.
It's best if only one side is talking when the cops show up.

Better yet if you just point a gun at the guy and tell him to stay put
until the cops arrive. Don't call it a citizen's arrest.

Most courts have held that ANY forceable detention of this type is a
Citizens Arrest by its very nature.

Or unlawful detention/kidnapping if you are wrong.

What gets lost in the translation is that "arrest" is just the
Anglicization of Norman French for "stop". All an "arrest" is a
"stopping". You arrest aircraft on carriers, you arrest your development,
you "arrest" your car at the traffic light, and you arrest suspicious
characters until the situations can be resolved. That may be a simple "Oh,
it is you! Don't scare me like that." Or it may be a lot more
complicated, involving cats, dogs, invisible friends and long explanations
why the cookie jar just "jumped off the counter". It may be The Proper
Authorities will take custody of them, and all the other legal/judicial
system jargon for "making sure things are completed."

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.