RainLover

Default THE MACHINIST (a movie)

I was just curious. I suspect that the readers here aren't the
regular art house, movie-going crowd here, but I'm wondering if anyone
else saw "The Machinist"?

This post is more about artsy-fartsy crap, but since the movie *IS*
about a machinist, and since a person gets his arm ripped off in a
machine, I figure it's "on topic" enough.

It's been haunting me for over a week now.

THANKS!!

James, Seattle
skuke

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:46:42 -0800, RainLover wrote:

I was just curious. I suspect that the readers here aren't the
regular art house, movie-going crowd here, but I'm wondering if anyone
else saw "The Machinist"?

This post is more about artsy-fartsy crap, but since the movie *IS*
about a machinist, and since a person gets his arm ripped off in a
machine, I figure it's "on topic" enough.

It's been haunting me for over a week now.

THANKS!!

James, Seattle

I saw it the other night.

I liked it as a type of movie that needed to be discussed with friends
afterwards over some coffee (to help get that insomnia started). We wanted
to try and understand what/why/how the lead machinist went through and if it
was even remotely possible. How much sleep deprivation could a person
handle? How are the prisoners in Git-mo handling the sleep
deprivation/torture?

I didn't like it as a "who done it" thriller movie. I thought the director
gave too much away and was fairly predictable. Not predictable to the very
end, but he gave enough clues away so that I wasn't very surprised by
anything that happened. It was as if Hitchcock directed it after a
sleepless night and hungover.

The movie did leave me with an uneasy, gritty feeling afterwards and I'm
glad I went to see it with a machinist friend rather than with my wife.
Thinking more about the movie now, I'm getting that "haunting" feeling again
that you're experiencing.

I am a tad perturbed about the title. It could have been called The
Sanitation Worker, The Editor, The Accountant, The Plumber... the fact that
he was a machinist was not really important. The character could have been
anybody and certain situations (like arm ripping in a machine) could have
easily been changed to suit the profession. The theme had nothing to do
with his occupation. So while I saw the movie because it was about a
machinist rather than a plumber, I felt a little misled by the title.

Overall, I give it a thumbs up and would recommend it to most people. I
wouldn't take queasy people.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Sunworshipper

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:20:06 -0800, skuke wrote:

[...]

I haven't seen the movie , but I know what sleep deprivation can do.
After about a week you become delusional where vivid dreams become
instant reality when closing your eyes. Like watching the real world
and slowly blinking and then seeing say horses running wild and then
right back to the real world when you open them. You start seeing the
world kind of like the movie the matrix where solid objects become
particles of energy. Like grout joints racing with energy in different
colors. After 10 days it becomes almost indescribable with long time
repercussions kind of like post traumatic syndrome. Don't ask why I
know this and it has nothing to do with drugs , but I would assume
that they most likely compound the delusions where you wouldn't be
able to tell the difference between real and dreams.

[...]

skuke

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 22:55:37 -0800, Sunworshipper wrote:

[...]

Sounds more or less like how the writers got sourced for the movie.
Schizophrenia, paranoia, delusional.

Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
RainLover

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:20:06 -0800, skuke wrote:

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:46:42 -0800, RainLover wrote:

I was just curious. I suspect that the readers here aren't the
regular art house, movie-going crowd here, but I'm wondering if anyone
else saw "The Machinist"?

This post is more about artsy-fartsy crap, but since the movie *IS*
about a machinist, and since a person gets his arm ripped off in a
machine, I figure it's "on topic" enough.

It's been haunting me for over a week now.

THANKS!!

James, Seattle

HEY! I'm glad someone's seen it! You're right.... It's definitely a
movie that provokes discussion.

I saw it the other night.

I liked it as a type of movie that needed to be discussed with friends
afterwards over some coffee (to help get that insomnia started). We wanted
to try and understand what/why/how the lead machinist went through and if it
was even remotely possible. How much sleep deprivation could a person
handle? How are the prisoners in Git-mo handling the sleep
deprivation/torture?

I didn't like it as a "who done it" thriller movie. I thought the director
gave too much away and was fairly predictable.

I didn't take the movie too much as a 'who done it', but I know what
you mean. The funny (skillful?) thing the director did was to give
away much, but really NOT give away, except in hindsight.... maybe
that's the 'haunting' part.

Not predictable to the very
end, but he gave enough clues away so that I wasn't very surprised by
anything that happened. It was as if Hitchcock directed it after a
sleepless night and hungover.

My wife HATES 'scary' movies, and while I thought this movie was going
to go down that old path, I think it did and INCREDIBLE job of walking
along that cliff, but not going there....

There was ONE scene though... ironically (or iconically) with the
translucent shower door where you could see a shadow, and I instantly
thought of Hitchcock. I think it was the director tipping his hat to
the master.

The movie did leave me with an uneasy, gritty feeling afterwards and I'm
glad I went to see it with a machinist friend rather than with my wife.
Thinking more about the movie now, I'm getting that "haunting" feeling again
that you're experiencing.

I am a tad perturbed about the title. It could have been called The
Sanitation Worker, The Editor, The Accountant, The Plumber... the fact that
he was a machinist was not really important.

Not really important, but there's a dirty, gritty, greasy and very
industrial feel to the label "machinist" that 'plumber' and 'garbage
man don't accomplish.

The character could have been
anybody and certain situations (like arm ripping in a machine) could have
easily been changed to suit the profession. The theme had nothing to do
with his occupation.

Oh, I don't know.... I can't think of any other workplace condition
that can be quite as menacing FEELING as a huge-ass machine shop...
The machines themselves are scary looking, especially the older ones.

So while I saw the movie because it was about a
machinist rather than a plumber, I felt a little misled by the title.

He was a machinist, what's to be misled about? :-)

Overall, I give it a thumbs up and would recommend it to most people. I
wouldn't take queasy people.

I think even the most queasy person would enjoy (if that's what you
can call it) this movie.

An observation and comment:
Did you stay for the credits? Did you notice that the entire movie
was filmed in SPAIN, with a nearly all Spanish crew? I wonder why
they made that choice...

I read something yesterday... the color in the movie was a bit dark
and eerie. To get that color, all the actors actually wore white
makeup for the filming, then, in the film processing, they
color-corrected to normal skin tones.

James, Seattle (saw it at The Grand Cinema in Tacoma)

skuke

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:46:42 -0800, RainLover wrote:

I was just curious. I suspect that the readers here aren't the
regular art house, movie-going crowd here, but I'm wondering if anyone
else saw "The Machinist"?

This post is more about artsy-fartsy crap, but since the movie *IS*
about a machinist, and since a person gets his arm ripped off in a
machine, I figure it's "on topic" enough.

It's been haunting me for over a week now.

THANKS!!

James, Seattle

BTW, I was wondering how you made the conclusion that RCM readers probably
wouldn't like to see an independant, "artsy-fartsy" movie? Rather
prejudicial, and presumptuous don't ya think?

I think the reason most have not seen the movie is because of it's limited
theater engagement. I, for one, had to wait months before it came to town.
....and I live in San Jose, CA. not exactly a little community

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
skuke

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:02:36 -0800, RainLover wrote:

I didn't take the movie too much as a 'who done it', but I know what
you mean.

Yeah, "who done it" is not the correct description. It is a mystery thriller
though.

The funny (skillful?) thing the director did was to give
away much, but really NOT give away, except in hindsight.... maybe
that's the 'haunting' part.

Perhaps, but while I was watching, I thought he gave away too much, not in
hindsight. I really think he wanted to make a movie ala Hitchcock. As you
pointed out, there are tributes to the master.

My wife HATES 'scary' movies, and while I thought this movie was going
to go down that old path, I think it did and INCREDIBLE job of walking
along that cliff, but not going there....

Again, I felt he got close. He wanted you to imagine the horrors of long
term insomnia rather than "have a monster jump out". I just slightly missed
the scaryness because of the predictabilty.

I think what makes these type of movies scary is that they ARE predictable,
too a point. You are forced to sit there in anticipation, waiting for the
inevitable. It's the ability of the director to carry you along that makes
for the frightening thoughts. You think you know what will happen and are
made to wait. Then, every now and again, you're thrown for a loop. You're
kept on your toes. Now, you're not sure what to expect next time. That is
where I think the director failed.

Not really important, but there's a dirty, gritty, greasy and very
industrial feel to the label "machinist" that 'plumber' and 'garbage
man don't accomplish.

The Porta Potty Cleaner?

Oh, I don't know.... I can't think of any other workplace condition
that can be quite as menacing FEELING as a huge-ass machine shop...
The machines themselves are scary looking, especially the older ones.

Oil rig, miner, IRS office :-)

So while I saw the movie because it was about a
machinist rather than a plumber, I felt a little misled by the title.

He was a machinist, what's to be misled about? :-)

Maybe not misled, but slightly cheated. (same thing?) I wanted more about
the trade in general. The machinist/shop was merely the backdrop.

Overall, I give it a thumbs up and would recommend it to most people. I
wouldn't take queasy people.

I think even the most queasy person would enjoy (if that's what you
can call it) this movie.

My wife wouldn't.

Did you stay for the credits?

Yes, always.

Did you notice that the entire movie
was filmed in SPAIN, with a nearly all Spanish crew? I wonder why
they made that choice...

I knew before seeing the movie that it was filmed in Spain. It was a fairly
low budget independant film so I'd think cost was a major decision to film
in Spain. Also, maybe some of the principals live there?

I read something yesterday... the color in the movie was a bit dark
and eerie. To get that color, all the actors actually wore white
makeup for the filming, then, in the film processing, they
color-corrected to normal skin tones.

That's interesting. I noticed the dark and bluish cast over the film and
felt that was part of the gritty, unease feeling I got. I saw it at a
Century theater (as opposed to a small "indy" theater) but it was an older
one. At first, I actually thought the projector bulb was getting old or
there was a horrible layer of dirt on the projector lens/glass/bulb! It
didn't take long though for me to realize the darkness of the film was by
intent.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:46:42 -0800, the renowned RainLover
wrote:

I was just curious. I suspect that the readers here aren't the
regular art house, movie-going crowd here, but I'm wondering if anyone
else saw "The Machinist"?

This post is more about artsy-fartsy crap, but since the movie *IS*
about a machinist, and since a person gets his arm ripped off in a
machine, I figure it's "on topic" enough.

It's been haunting me for over a week now.

THANKS!!

James, Seattle

I enjoyed it, but many (including the better half) would not have. The
ending was perhaps a bit *too* neat, but it was generally worth the
reduced Tuesday entry fee (and free parking on Bloor for the 10pm show
at the Cumberland). I don't go out to the movies that often (maybe a
few times a year) and the concession prices always amaze me ($15 for
two cokes and popcorns?). Anyway, sort of along the lines of
Hitchcock, Night Gallery and Twilight Zone.

You go insane after about 10 days totally without sleep, so the one
year claim was not credible, but people often *say* things like that.
Bales certainly made himself look anorexic and demented- I hope he
didn't cause himself serious physical harm with that severe weight
loss.

The occupation was relevant only in that they wanted a grimy and
dangerous blue-collar male-only work environment for part of the
story. Reminds me of another book/movie where someone loses their hand
on a car assembly line-- one of Hailey's ones? 'Wheels' perhaps. And
another where someone is murdered in a paint room (filmed in the old
Checker Motors factory in Kalamazoo MI) "Blue Collar". The machines
didn't look like what they said they were to me, and that sort of took
away from the whole thing rather than enhancing it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
RainLover

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:06:07 -0800, skuke wrote:

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:46:42 -0800, RainLover wrote:

I was just curious. I suspect that the readers here aren't the
regular art house, movie-going crowd here, but I'm wondering if anyone
else saw "The Machinist"?

This post is more about artsy-fartsy crap, but since the movie *IS*
about a machinist, and since a person gets his arm ripped off in a
machine, I figure it's "on topic" enough.

It's been haunting me for over a week now.

THANKS!!

James, Seattle

BTW, I was wondering how you made the conclusion that RCM readers probably
wouldn't like to see an independant, "artsy-fartsy" movie? Rather
prejudicial, and presumptuous don't ya think?

Yes, it was a bit; I'm sorry to those I offend by the comment, but
I've known hundreds of machinists and welders and pipe-fitters over
the years and the subjects of independant films, art, and imported
beers are RARELY discussed.

Even now... it's just you and me, skuke. :-)

I think the reason most have not seen the movie is because of it's limited
theater engagement. I, for one, had to wait months before it came to town.
...and I live in San Jose, CA. not exactly a little community

This is a good point, but even so, I think there are probably 100 or
so movies on many people's lists of movies they want to see before
'The Machinist' turns up....

James, Seattle (actually Port Orchard, a place where The Machinist
will NEVER show up... even on DVD)

Ed Huntress

"RainLover" wrote in message
[...]

You've just been working in the wrong shops. Back when I worked in a job
shop, when we took our brie-and-chardonnay breaks, the conversation
frequently turned to the auteur theory, the early works of Jean-Luc Godard,
film noire, and so on, when we weren't discussing our staple subjects of
post-modernism and Roland Barthes.

You just have to pick the right shop.

Ed Huntress

skuke

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:48:29 -0800, RainLover wrote:

SPOILER below, do not read if you don't want part of the movie ruined!!!
-sorry, couldn't put it in the subject cuz my reader creates a new topic.

Even now... it's just you and me, skuke. :-)

Yes, kinda sad really.
Maybe some others saw it and just don't want to comment.

BTW James, do you have any thoughts about his obsessive habit of washing his
hands with bleach and lye? I realize the easy answer is to clean his
soul/conscious, but I was hoping for another answer.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
skuke

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:12:54 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:

"RainLover" wrote in message
[...]

In some shops I worked, we didn't get paid enough to afford brie and
chardonnay! However, beers that came *available* in a twist off top were
almost always forbidden.