Roger Shoaf

Default Plating question.

From time to time I find it desirable to weld something that has been
galvanized. This has required grinding off the zinc.

If I was to get one of those do it yourself zinc plating kits, could I just
reverse polarity and de-zinc the iron?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Wild Bill

Muriatic acid (diluted hydrochloric acid) sold for cleaning masonry will
remove zinc plating very quickly. This is a cheap chemical, sold in most
home stores that sell paint and caulk products for masonry.
It's best to do the stripping outdoors, and observe all safety precautions
related to yourself, kids and pets.

If you're using sheets of steel that you want to strip the edges, you could
use a trough made out of PVC or some other heavy plastic material.
If the sheet edge is too long to dip it, you could improvise a way to catch
the run-off and use a plastic squirt/dribble applicator bottle (probably not
a good idea to try to spray it) to strip the edge.

Rinse the stripped area with water after the application. I usually rinse
with water/baking soda solution. If you're not welding immediately, apply a
rust preventive that you can remove quickly before welding.

WB

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
From time to time I find it desirable to weld something that has been
galvanized. This has required grinding off the zinc.

If I was to get one of those do it yourself zinc plating kits, could I

just
reverse polarity and de-zinc the iron?

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,

then
they come up with this striped stuff.

RoyJ

Any acid will take it right off. For welding any tube or pipe frames, I
usually dip the ends in an inch or so of hydrocloric (Muriatic) acid,
followed by a dip in some alkaline like Tide soap in water. Do this
OUTDOORS!! the fumes are nasty for both you and your tools. The acid is
sold for adjusting swiming pool PH, usually sells for $2.50/gallon.

Roger Shoaf wrote:

From time to time I find it desirable to weld something that has been
galvanized. This has required grinding off the zinc.

If I was to get one of those do it yourself zinc plating kits, could I just
reverse polarity and de-zinc the iron?

Grant Erwin

Roger Shoaf wrote:
From time to time I find it desirable to weld something that has been
galvanized. This has required grinding off the zinc.

If I was to get one of those do it yourself zinc plating kits, could I just
reverse polarity and de-zinc the iron?

I recently dunked some old galvanized caster bodies into hot lye and left
them overnight. It both removed the zinc and chemically reduced the rust.
Clean, unplated parts, ready to weld and then paint. - GWE
Don Foreman

And when the acid stops working, it'll still serve as an electrolyte
for deplating. Use a steel cathode. Galvanized workpiece +, steel
cathode -.

Other chemicals would probably work for deplating also. Try 'em and
see. Ammonium chloride aka sal ammoniac works if you can find it.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:11:15 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Any acid will take it right off. For welding any tube or pipe frames, I
usually dip the ends in an inch or so of hydrocloric (Muriatic) acid,
followed by a dip in some alkaline like Tide soap in water. Do this
OUTDOORS!! the fumes are nasty for both you and your tools. The acid is
sold for adjusting swiming pool PH, usually sells for $2.50/gallon.

Roger Shoaf wrote:

From time to time I find it desirable to weld something that has been
galvanized. This has required grinding off the zinc.

If I was to get one of those do it yourself zinc plating kits, could I just
reverse polarity and de-zinc the iron?

gglines

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
From time to time I find it desirable to weld something that has been
galvanized. This has required grinding off the zinc.

If I was to get one of those do it yourself zinc plating kits, could I
just
reverse polarity and de-zinc the iron?

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

Phosphoric acid is milder than muriatic acid and will remove zinc if left to
soak. The fumes don't seem to rust everything in sight either. Look for
Jasco Metal Prep products at Home Depot.

George