Jim Levie

Default Stryco blade welder

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:33:05 +0000, Gunner wrote:

On the starboard side (means "over yonder" for those of you in Pumpkin
Center) is a red button marked Anneal, a red button marked Weld, and a
round disky knob with the numbers 1-6 on it. The knob does not appear to
do a hell of a lot of anything other than to put a bit more or less load
on the blade "force together after they are red hot" mechanism. I think.
Maybe. Kinda sorta. IMHO.

Anyone can tell me exactly what that knob/dial is supposed to do, and
what the suggested settings are?

There are three ways to accommodate different blade sizes:

1) Use fixed pressure and vary the current.
2) Use fixed current and vary the pressure.
3) Vary the current and pressure.

Control of the weld cycle may be done by a timer, either of fixed duration
or one that varies with blade size, or by switching off the primary power
based on the movment of the jaws as the weld upset occurs. The later
method is more precise and seems to be the method of choice on some of the
better blade welders.

Your welder appears to be a fixed current, variable pressure, timer
controlled system. And given that it is a 220VAC it may be
rated for 3/4" or 1" blades. Assuming that 1 on the pressure dial is the
lowest pressure and 6 is the greatest, position 6 would be used for a 3/4"
blade and 1 for a 1/4". When the pressure is correct for the width blade
there will be minimal sparks and an even upset along the weld. Experiment
with a 1/2" blade and you'll find the "sweet spot" pretty quickly. Where
the pressure dial winds up for a 1/2" blade will give you a good idea
where other blades need to be welded.

In my experience with home made welders (I've built four) a large shower
of sparks indicates an excessive current/insufficient pressure
relationship.

It is really important the the ends of the blade be squared off and match
before welding. This is best done by flipping one end of the blade,
holding them together and grinding both at the same time. Ground this way
any error when grinding will cancel out when the ends of blade are
oriented normally in the welder jaws.

It sounds like you may have never used a blade welder before.
And if that's the case surely one of your clients has one and an
experienced tech. It would be well worth your time to watch someone weld a
blade correctly. You'll see what a proper weld looks like and will be able
to "dial" yours in.

FYI: Stryco still exists and makes blade welders. There's nothing on their
site (http://www.micro-weld.com/stryco) about older models, but you might
try contacting them for info on this one.

Anyways..and annealing..do I simply put the clamps fully apart, or?
before annealing. When they are fully apart and a 1/2" blade is resting
all comfortable in there..it turns an interesting shade of blue, but
never goes red. Iffin I bring them together a bit..then it will glow red
as long as I hold the Anneal button down. actually In..it being on the
the side and all..but again I digress..sigh)

Normally annealing is done with the jaws open. And it is really important
to shade the jaw area so that you can see what's happening. The guy that
taught me used to turn the lights in the vicinity of the welder off
and use the built in work light on the welder for setup and turn it off
when annealing. In a darkened area you just barely want to see a glimmer
of dull red at the weld.

The test for proper annealing is to flex the blade at the weld. If it
breaks it wasn't properly annealed. Note that it isn't necessary to be
able to bend the blade back on itself, although a fully annealed weld will
survive this. A modest bend, say around 90deg, without breaking is good
enough.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Gunner

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:32:29 GMT, Ron Moore
wrote:

Sounds like a great find. You didn't say what the rating on it was.

Rating? None listed on the data plate, but the last time I had blades
welded, the shop used one very nearly the same and he was welding 1"
blades with it.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Jon Elson

Anyways..and annealing..do I simply put the clamps fully apart, or?
before annealing. When they are fully apart and a 1/2" blade is
resting all comfortable in there..it turns an interesting shade of
blue, but never goes red. Iffin I bring them together a bit..then it
will glow red as long as I hold the Anneal button down.
actually In..it being on the the side and all..but again I
digress..sigh)

I'm not familiar with this model. I have used a Do-All built into
the saw at work. It is a fantastic welder, and produces a weld that
outlasts the rest of the blade, and with as little flash to be ground
off the weld as could ever be possible.

I lucked into a German blade welder on eBay. It is not quite as
good as the Do-All, but it does work. More sparks, way more upset
and flash, so it takes a fair bit of grinding to get it back to the
same thickness as the blade. Some of these welds last a long time,
some fail after a few minutes of cutting. So, I'm still getting all the
settings right.

But, anyway, the welder I have has a multi-position knob that sets the
weld current, in about 6 steps. It also has a knob that sets the jaw
pressure for welding or annealing (2 pos). It also opens the jaws about
1/4" wider when in the anneal position. Both welders can easily get the
blade up to dull red in about 5 seconds when annealing. Only the very
center gets red, as the jaws draw heat off at the sides. Both of these
welders, as far as I know, use a mechanical latch that allows one weld
cycle until the jaws move together a certain distance. You then hold
the weld button until the weld has cooled. If you take your finger off
the weld button too soon, the jaws pull the weld apart. So, they don't
"time" the weld, they zap it until the springs "upset" the blade.

Jon

Gunner

wrote:

Sounds like a great find. You didn't say what the rating on it was.

Rating? None listed on the data plate, but the last time I had blades
welded, the shop used one very nearly the same and he was welding 1"
blades with it.

The data plate says this is an 18 amp (at 220vac 1ph) or 4KW welder.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

OK, I am going to have to find out where you live, and a time when you
won't be home, and a BIG truck to haul all those books away in. Your
tools, pets, and guns are safe, but those books, that is a differnt
story!
Terry

I will only have to take 20 kittens, great, I will be out the week
beteen Christmas
and New Years. Right after I win the lottery. Only one little problem,
I don't
play the lottery. I figure that not buying a ticket only decreases my
chance
of winning by a very slight amount. Now if I could find a winning
lottery
ticket that would be cool. Not imposible, but unlikely. A friend was
layed
off about 10 years ago, Christmas was lookng grim. His young daughter
picked up a "scratch off" lottery ticket spent the entire trip home
looking at it,
so my friend and his wife decided to relate how bad a choice buying
lottery
tickets was. Explained odds to her, As they arrived home, she
commented,
somehing similar to, know that winning is rare, that you stand a better
chance
of being hit by lightning, butif winning tickets are so rare why would
someone
thorugh a winner away. Her mom, assuming her daughter had misread it,
asked
to look at it, and freaked. It was a winner. 25K. After the moral
debate what to
do with the ticket, after all how do you find the original purchaser,
they decided
to wait a week or so to see if any news stories about lost wiing
tickets ran, and
when none did, the decided to cash it and put it away for their
daugthrers college
fund. The dauhgter, a mature 8 years, argued that her dad should use
the money
to get some addtional training. That she had 10- years before she could
go, but her dad, and the family could realy benefit from his going to
school. He got a AA degree,
a much better job, and the daughter started college this fall. So you
can win without playing, but all in all I would prefer to set my money
on fire and watch it burn as to
waste it on lottery tickets. This time of year the burning money would
supply a little warmth.
So as soon as I find a winning lottery ticket I will be heading out
that way. Maybe we could combine our respective book collections and
start a"really big" library,
Terry

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Tue, 14 Dec 2004 05:06:53 GMT in
misc.survivalism :

wrote:

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:23:39 GMT in
misc.survivalism :
On 13 Dec 2004 04:27:45 -0800, wrote:

OK, I am going to have to find out where you live, and a time when you
won't be home, and a BIG truck to haul all those books away in. Your
tools, pets, and guns are safe, but those books, that is a differnt
story!
Terry

Come over when Im home and Ill help you load....G

Its a trap Terry. First he helps you start loading the truck, then he
points out a "good one" the next thing you know, it's dark and you haven't
finished the book, and there are three more on your knee, and "how did it
get to be election day already?" Rogue librarians are going to hijack you
and your cargo, and you'll never be heard from again. Put to work chipping
away in a federal quandary....

I should have mentioned..for every 100 books, you are obligated to
take one cat or puppy.

I thought so. Gunner hands you a "interesting book". Then while you
are distracted by that, he uses arcane Buddhist Gedi Minds tricks so you
don't notice him emptying boxes of books, and filling them with cats. Then
he sends you on your way, and when you get home, there you are with a herd
of cats, and a bunch of books he didn't want: Tropic of Calculus, Great
Buddhist Accountants of Belgium, the Collected Speeches of Albert Gore, The
Joy of Sox, Ignorance for Dummies, and Breaking Machine tools for fun and
tax write offs.
Tricky people, these renegade Buddhist Furrballs.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"MTV may talk about lighting fires and killing children,
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

The Collected Speeches of Algor is already gone. I glued a check for a
25cent donation to the DNC to the front cover, cut out the inside and
filled it with a piece of plate steel and sent it to the DNC postage
due.

They cashed the check and sent me a very nice thank you letter.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001

Martin H. Eastburn

Got to love them - so blinded by the light they didn't know what hit them!
Martin

wrote:

[...]

Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:55:10 GMT
in misc.survivalism :

wrote:

[...]

I'd have thought you would have used that for a back stop, or to level
one of the machines.
Or is that really what you dropped on your toe last spring?

They cashed the check and sent me a very nice thank you letter.

But of course.

--
pyotr filipivich
"MTV may talk about lighting fires and killing children,
but Janet Reno actually does something about it." --Spy Magazine
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I use T1 plate for back stops, and normally use 1/8" aluminum plate
for leveling via stacking.

Or is that really what you dropped on your toe last spring?

Hummm it may have been a chip off the old block so to speak.

They cashed the check and sent me a very nice thank you letter.

But of course.

I wonder how much that check cost them to process?

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:37:25 GMT
in misc.survivalism :

wrote:

[...]

Well, there is that. [Obligatory metal working content.]

But if you come across any more copies, let me know. I'm looking fro a
cheap source of shielding for the home built reactor, and I want to save
the lead for casting bullets.

Or is that really what you dropped on your toe last spring?

Hummm it may have been a chip off the old block so to speak.

They cashed the check and sent me a very nice thank you letter.

But of course.

I wonder how much that check cost them to process?

Depends on whether they cashed it at the Buddhist Monastic Bank. I
understand they had an account there. (Or was that the Mekong River Bank?
The memory was seared, seared I tell you, into my memory I think - what
were we talking about?) [1]

tschus
pyotr

[1] All of a sudden I am recalling the early Bloom County strip, where in
Milo is interviewing the fat Senator, who is pontificating, and asks "Ah..
what were we talking about?" and Milo says "You were about to explain how
you laundered the kick-back money." "Ah yes,... ."