Joe AutoDrill

Default You Want To See Big Machining?

Check This Out:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

That's my new motorcycle engine.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Martin H. Eastburn

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Check This Out:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

That's my new motorcycle engine.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

I take it the motorcycle is a Tricycle model at least!

Martin [ Thought it was a mine pump :-) ]

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Boris Mohar

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:43:09 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Check This Out:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

That's my new motorcycle engine.

Sure, sure. Just where are you going to get and put the gear box.? Never
mind that it will have to be geared up.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs http://www3.sympatico.ca/borism/
John Ings

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:44:59 -0500, Boris Mohar
wrote:

That's my new motorcycle engine.

Sure, sure. Just where are you going to get and put the gear box.? Never
mind that it will have to be geared up.

A friend of mine did some calculations with respect to a single
cylinder English bike once, a Vincent I think. He figured that at top
speed the cylinder fired every 50 feet.

JMartin957

A friend of mine did some calculations with respect to a single
cylinder English bike once, a Vincent I think. He figured that at top
speed the cylinder fired every 50 feet.

He'd better re-check his calculations.

At 60 miles per hour - a mile a minute - firing every 50 feet would be about
100 times per mile, which for a four-stroke would be 200 RPM.

Even every 5 feet would probably be on the high side. Every 2 feet might be
more like it.

John Martin

steve

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Check This Out:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

That's my new motorcycle engine.

and here I thought the tomahawk was crazy
http://www.dlhill.com/tomahawk.html

Andy Asberry

wrote:

That's my new motorcycle engine.

Sure, sure. Just where are you going to get and put the gear box.? Never
mind that it will have to be geared up.

A friend of mine did some calculations with respect to a single
cylinder English bike once, a Vincent I think. He figured that at top
speed the cylinder fired every 50 feet.

Speed has nothing to do with it. As long as it is in the same gear,
the interval will be the same.
Ted Edwards

All the Vincents I've seen were V-twins.

Ted

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:26:00 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

All the Vincents I've seen were V-twins.

Ted

Those were Black Shadows, Black Lightnings and (maybe if you were
lucky) Black Princes. The single cylinder models were called Comets.
500 cc. Think a twin crankcase with a single cylinder. There were,
IIRC, A, B and C model Comets to match the Shadows and Lightnings (the
Lightning was essentially a tricked up Shadow). There were no D model
Comets to match the Princes.

The Comet was not as desirable in the US and not as fast. But Vincents
were also popular as sidecar hacks in Britain. The Comet still had
gobs of torque and reasonable top speed for sidecar work.

--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Bob Chilcoat

A friend of mine in the UK describes the time he bought one of those 50 cc,
eighteen-gear, six-valve racing bikes that used to be popular over there,
and decided to see what it would actually do on the local motorway. He ran
it up through the gears and then stretched out on his stomach on the seat to
get the maximum streamlining. There he was, stretched out perfectly prone
with his toes pointed out the back, waiting for the speed to creep up to 80
mph or so, engine screaming at near ultrasonic speeds, when he was suddenly
passed by a big Vincent being driven by a old guy in a tweed jacket and
deerstalker hat, sitting bolt upright smoking a pipe. The guy just glanced
over at him curiously and continued on his way. My friend was so
embarrassed that he got back up, turned off at the next exit and went home.
He sold the bike a few weeks later.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

wrote:

All the Vincents I've seen were V-twins.

Ted

Those were Black Shadows, Black Lightnings and (maybe if you were
lucky) Black Princes. The single cylinder models were called Comets.
500 cc. Think a twin crankcase with a single cylinder. There were,
IIRC, A, B and C model Comets to match the Shadows and Lightnings (the
Lightning was essentially a tricked up Shadow). There were no D model
Comets to match the Princes.

The Comet was not as desirable in the US and not as fast. But Vincents
were also popular as sidecar hacks in Britain. The Comet still had
gobs of torque and reasonable top speed for sidecar work.

--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:30:12 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

A friend of mine in the UK describes the time he bought one of those 50 cc,
eighteen-gear, six-valve racing bikes that used to be popular over there,
and decided to see what it would actually do on the local motorway. He ran
it up through the gears and then stretched out on his stomach on the seat to
get the maximum streamlining. There he was, stretched out perfectly prone
with his toes pointed out the back, waiting for the speed to creep up to 80
mph or so, engine screaming at near ultrasonic speeds, when he was suddenly
passed by a big Vincent being driven by a old guy in a tweed jacket and
deerstalker hat, sitting bolt upright smoking a pipe. The guy just glanced
over at him curiously and continued on his way. My friend was so
embarrassed that he got back up, turned off at the next exit and went home.
He sold the bike a few weeks later.

There is no subsititute for cubic inches -- at least up to a certain
point.

The Vincent is not a machine I'd recommend to anyone except as a
collectors item. Mr. Vincent didn't believe in things like frames and
putting even a Black Shadow hard over into a corner is a truly
religious experience -- do it and you will See Jesus! But they are
beautiful and for their day they were tremendously fast bikes.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Martin H. Eastburn

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

A friend of mine in the UK describes the time he bought one of those 50 cc,
eighteen-gear, six-valve racing bikes that used to be popular over there,
and decided to see what it would actually do on the local motorway. He ran
it up through the gears and then stretched out on his stomach on the seat to
get the maximum streamlining. There he was, stretched out perfectly prone
with his toes pointed out the back, waiting for the speed to creep up to 80
mph or so, engine screaming at near ultrasonic speeds, when he was suddenly
passed by a big Vincent being driven by a old guy in a tweed jacket and
deerstalker hat, sitting bolt upright smoking a pipe. The guy just glanced
over at him curiously and continued on his way. My friend was so
embarrassed that he got back up, turned off at the next exit and went home.
He sold the bike a few weeks later.

Bully for the Guy in the Tweed. Played his part to a T. Your friend
so it would seem was trying to transcend into someone he wasn't and realized.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Peter Fairbrother

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Check This Out:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

That's my new motorcycle engine.

That would be pretty slow.

Now the turbines on a SSME have about the same shaft BHP, and have a
power-to-weight ratio over 2,000 times better - far more suited to a mobike

BTW, from that link:

" The top of the connecting rod is not attached directly to the piston.* The
top of the connecting rod attaches to a "crosshead" which rides in guide
channels.* A long piston rod then connects the crosshead to the piston.
*** I assume this is done so the the sideways forces produced by the
connecting rod are absorbed by the crosshead and not by the piston.* Those
sideways forces are what makes the cylinders in an auto engine get
oval-shaped over time."

That's maybe a small part of it, but the real reason is that the stroke is
about three times the bore (needed to make it so efficient), and conrods of
any reasonable length would have to somehow occupy the same space as the
cylinders if a crosshead was not used.

(just been desiging compressors, and had the same need for a crosshead-ish
arrangement on the hp cylinders, with large stroke/bore ratios. They used to
do the same thing on triple expansion steam engines.)

--
Peter Fairbrother

Tom

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

Without the crosshead and attendant piston rod the engine as a design
would fail to function. As it is a two stroke where the intake air is
admitted under the piston and sealed by a gland on the piston rod from
the crankcase, a crosshead is mandatory and normal practice on large
diesel engines.

Tom

machining videos Rex B Metalworking 6 September 19th 04 03:19 PM
Machining Plastic Geoffrey W. Schultz Metalworking 25 November 20th 03 12:37 PM