Waynemak

Default very small home made generator, need help

Ok it's not a big generator just enough to power a small bulb. I need to
explain this to a class of 6 year old children and keep them form getting
lost with other thoughts. ANY GOOD IDEAS or very short descriptions would be
a great help.

Take a look

www.motherearthrecycling.net/gen/gen.htm

This is made from 4 rare earth magnets and some shop time. It runs very
smooth and lights the LED up nice with a good spin.

jim rozen

In article , Waynemak says...

Ok it's not a big generator just enough to power a small bulb. I need to
explain this to a class of 6 year old children and keep them form getting
lost with other thoughts. ANY GOOD IDEAS or very short descriptions would be
a great help.

The explaination should be short for six year olds. You just
say that you are changing mechanical (muscle) work into electricity,
and then into light.

I have an old telephone magneto on a board with a big knife switch,
and a 7.5 watt bulb in a socket.

It's a great demonstration because you can *feel* what seven and
a half watts feels like, when you close the knife switch.

Jim

please reply to:
Charles Morrill

O.K. kids, see this loop of wire? It's a closed circle right? Who can
tell me what's happening in this closed circle of wire right now? Any
ideas?

Ideas follow.

Well who said nothing? Well, you're right because nothing is
happening inside this loop of wire at the moment. It's just a loop of
wire, made up of a bunch of copper atoms. All the copper atoms are just
sitting there looking at each other and nothing is happening. Atoms, by
the way are the small pieces of copper that exist, so small, you can't
even see them in a regular microscope.
But here's something really strange, if I take a magnet and pass
it through this loop of wire, something starts to happen. Anyone know
what that is? You there in the back, pay attention because I was just
telling everyone else what Santa Claus is giving you for Christmas.
Sorry, I only mention these things once. Who can tell me what happens?

Ideas follow.

Well, what starts to happen is that these atoms start passing
parts of themselves to the atom next to them. Here, each one of you
pick up one of these stones I brought along here and get in a circle.
Now pretend this stone is part of you. We could call it your arm but
you already have one of those, so we'll call it your electron and we'll
pretend you're a copper atom in a wire. Ready? Now here's what we're
going to do: When I shout "magnet!" each one of you guys is going to
take this small stone, and pass it to the person on your right. Who
knows which direction right is? (Sort them out) O.K. ready? MAGNET!!!!!

Hopefully, all stones move to the right.

Now what you've just done is demonstrate what happens when a
magnet passes around a wire. Those electrons moving are called..Who can
tell me. Tell me and I'll pay you a buck right now.

Good. That's right, electricity!!!!!!

Now what I've got here is a little device I made to make a whole
bunch of magnets go past a loop of wire real fast. It's called a
generator. Here you there. Turn this and let's see what happens. See
what those moving electrons can do!!!!! Very good, here's a buck. You
generated electricity, just like the power company, so I'm paying you
just like your folks pay the power company to keep your lights at home
on....

Charles Morrill

Richard J Kinch

Waynemak writes:

ANY GOOD IDEAS or very short descriptions would be
a great help.

Looks like you could also demonstrate the Lenz effect with a hunk of
aluminum moved in and out from near those magnets.

Glenn Ashmore

I did an electricity generating demo for a 2nd grade class that kept their
attention. Took the secondary out of an old ignition coil and found a rare
earth magnet that fit loosely inside. After doing the wire/compass/magnet
thing I was starting to loose them so I "volunteered" the class loud mouth
to hold a couple of wires while I dropped the magnet through the coil. That
kept them enthralled for another 10 minutes.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Waynemak" wrote in message
Ok it's not a big generator just enough to power a small bulb. I need to
explain this to a class of 6 year old children and keep them form getting
lost with other thoughts. ANY GOOD IDEAS or very short descriptions would

be
a great help.

Take a look

www.motherearthrecycling.net/gen/gen.htm

This is made from 4 rare earth magnets and some shop time. It runs very
smooth and lights the LED up nice with a good spin.

Boris Mohar

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:54:03 -0500, "Waynemak"
wrote:

Ok it's not a big generator just enough to power a small bulb. I need to
explain this to a class of 6 year old children and keep them form getting
lost with other thoughts. ANY GOOD IDEAS or very short descriptions would be
a great help.

One of the ways to demonstrate the principle and reciprocity of motor-
generator is to connect. up two small identical motors to each other. You
turn one and the other one turns. You load one with your finger (motor) and
it is harder to runt the other (generator) Reverse the leads and the
rotation reversed. I have a pair of Maxon motors out of an old tape drive.
They are so sensitive that they will respond even to very slow rotation.
Floppy drive PM motors not steppers also work well.

--

Boris Mohar

jim rozen

In article 7dEqd.4085$wa1.2802@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

I did an electricity generating demo for a 2nd grade class that kept their
attention. Took the secondary out of an old ignition coil and found a rare
earth magnet that fit loosely inside. After doing the wire/compass/magnet
thing I was starting to loose them so I "volunteered" the class loud mouth
to hold a couple of wires while I dropped the magnet through the coil. That
kept them enthralled for another 10 minutes.

Heh. The same effect can be done with a telephone magneto, too.
A kid did that in 5th grade, he made a "lie detector" that way.

Jim

please reply to:
Robert Swinney

I had a magneto in the original oak box with a pair of "J" bells on the
box - very old 2-part signalling circuit from early telephone days. On top
of the box I mounted a pair of shiny brass screws. On the rear was a couple
push switches, not visible from the front. One switch connected the bells
to the magneto which would ring when the crank was turned and the other
switch connected the magneto to the pair of brass screws.

My "electricity demonstration" to the kiddies went like this: "Let's see if
you have enough electricity in your body to ring the bells". One kid (maybe
the shill) would grab the terminals and sure enough, when I cranked the
magneto, the bell would ring as I depressed the appropriate switch on the
back. "Now Johnny, you try it" Sure enough the bells would ring again.
We'd go like this until the loud mouth's turn came. "Oh, sorry Gizmo, you
don't seem to have enough juice to ring the bells. Whyn't you wet your
fingers to see if you can get a better connection".

Bob Swinney

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article 7dEqd.4085$wa1.2802@lakeread04, Glenn Ashmore says...

I did an electricity generating demo for a 2nd grade class that kept their
attention. Took the secondary out of an old ignition coil and found a
rare
earth magnet that fit loosely inside. After doing the
wire/compass/magnet
thing I was starting to loose them so I "volunteered" the class loud mouth
to hold a couple of wires while I dropped the magnet through the coil.
That
kept them enthralled for another 10 minutes.

Heh. The same effect can be done with a telephone magneto, too.
A kid did that in 5th grade, he made a "lie detector" that way.

Jim

please reply to:

patrick mitchel

Might want to look at www.otherpower.com - this guy has several homemade
wind gennies that might be adaptable to student manufacture and
experimentation.. Pat

Martin H. Eastburn

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I did an electricity generating demo for a 2nd grade class that kept their
attention. Took the secondary out of an old ignition coil and found a rare
earth magnet that fit loosely inside. After doing the wire/compass/magnet
thing I was starting to loose them so I "volunteered" the class loud mouth
to hold a couple of wires while I dropped the magnet through the coil. That
kept them enthralled for another 10 minutes.

Cool -
I have a LED flashlight that is just like that, rectify the output dump it
into a cap and drive a LED.

Works nicely, but shaking the flashlight can wear you out!

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Sunworshipper

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:19:17 -0800, "patrick mitchel"
wrote:

Might want to look at www.otherpower.com - this guy has several homemade
wind gennies that might be adaptable to student manufacture and
experimentation.. Pat

Thanks for the link , very interesting site of Matt's. Is he on this
group? I read about half the site and love the model A truck
generator. I almost got a hold of one of those , but someone stabbed
me in the back for it. Someday I'll post pictures of it , need to find
the booklet for my scanner first cause it defaults or something to
TIFF.
Don Bruder

wrote:

Might want to look at www.otherpower.com - this guy has several homemade
wind gennies that might be adaptable to student manufacture and
experimentation.. Pat

Thanks for the link , very interesting site of Matt's. Is he on this
group? I read about half the site and love the model A truck
generator. I almost got a hold of one of those , but someone stabbed
me in the back for it. Someday I'll post pictures of it , need to find
the booklet for my scanner first cause it defaults or something to
TIFF.

If the only thing stopping you from shippin' pix is the fact that your
scanner saves to TIFF by default, all ya gotta do to get a JPEG is this:
1: Scan whatever it is. Let it save it as a TIFF - All those are is raw
image dumps. (Which is why they're so huge)
2: Crack open your favorite tool that can read TIFF and save JPEG. On a
Mac, Two good tools for this are GraphicConverter and JPEGView. In the
Windows world, the only one I'm personally familiar with is Photoshop,
but I've got no doubt whatsoever that there are others. Linux/*nix geeks
- you're on your own - I *KNOW* there's something (more probably,
several somethings) that will do it, but I haven't yet soaked up enough
*nix know-how to name one.
3: Open the TIFF file in the tool you're converting with.
4: Do whatever setup is needed by the program to compress to whatever
level you feel works best, then save it off as a *.jpg file.
5: Distribute your shiney new jpeg by the usual methods.
6: There is no step six.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

[ ... ]

me in the back for it. Someday I'll post pictures of it , need to find
the booklet for my scanner first cause it defaults or something to
TIFF.

If the only thing stopping you from shippin' pix is the fact that your
scanner saves to TIFF by default, all ya gotta do to get a JPEG is this:
1: Scan whatever it is. Let it save it as a TIFF - All those are is raw
image dumps. (Which is why they're so huge)

Yep -- but also why they are the best if you are dealing with
things in B&W line drawings, where the JPEG lossy compression loses
detail, especially where two lines intersect at an acute angle. (Also,
tiny type gets very difficult to read. :-)

2: Crack open your favorite tool that can read TIFF and save JPEG. On a

[ ... Mac & Windows dealt with ... ]

but I've got no doubt whatsoever that there are others. Linux/*nix geeks
- you're on your own - I *KNOW* there's something (more probably,
several somethings) that will do it, but I haven't yet soaked up enough
*nix know-how to name one.

Yep -- several options.

1) xv (an older one, now, and it wants to be shareware instead of
freeware -- but it has the nicest way of browsing a directory
full of images.

2) ImageMagik (a suite of programs including several forms of
image conversion. This is probably the best way to convert
a whole subdirectory full of images, as it can be run from a
shell script without having to pop up a display of each.

3) "The GIMP" (The Gnu Image Manipulation Package). Yes, the
"The" is part of the program title. Probably the closest thing
to PhotoShop, and like PhotoShop, it takes quite a while to
master all (or even a reasonable percentage) of its features.

4) For converting tiff to PDF, it is a two-step operation:

a) tiff2ps (part of the libtiff package) -- converts
TIFF images to PostScript.

b) ps2pdf (part of the GNU Ghostscript package), converts
the PostScript output from the previous program to PDF
files.

I've written a shell script to run these in combination to
convert a ton of page scans into a single document -- or for
some big ones, a PDF file per page, to keep the overall size of
the PDF files down.

And -- there are probably others, as well. These are just the
ones which I know about and use.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Sunworshipper

On 30 Nov 2004 22:58:26 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

I just knew I shouldn't have brought that up. I'm hopelessly lost with
computers. About the only thing I know or knew was how auto cad
calculates the lines on the screen before PC's. I need to find my tax
papers so I'll run into the booklet sooner or later. What really sucks
is that most of the pictures that I've taken in the past where ripped
off. Plus I need to figure out the wife's new digital camera that I'm
restricted from. Her 35mm one was in my truck when it got broken into
so now I can't take the new one anywhere. Kinda like I'm not allowed
to do laundry anymore cause I inadvertently put the mid sized box of
soap into the washer , box also.

Don Bruder

In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

In article ,
Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

[ ... ]

me in the back for it. Someday I'll post pictures of it , need to find
the booklet for my scanner first cause it defaults or something to
TIFF.

If the only thing stopping you from shippin' pix is the fact that your
scanner saves to TIFF by default, all ya gotta do to get a JPEG is this:
1: Scan whatever it is. Let it save it as a TIFF - All those are is raw
image dumps. (Which is why they're so huge)

Yep -- but also why they are the best

I snipped the rest of the paragraph - 'Cause it didn't need saying in
the first place. Why? Well, it's pretty tough to get a lossy compressed
image that's better than the original raw data, y'know? For b&w,
particularly line drawings, GIF is *THE* way to go, period. IMO, of
course.

but I've got no doubt whatsoever that there are others. Linux/*nix geeks
- you're on your own - I *KNOW* there's something (more probably,
several somethings) that will do it, but I haven't yet soaked up enough
*nix know-how to name one.

Yep -- several options.

Nice catch, Don Thanks!

I'll leave the list in place 'cause it's darn good info to have around.

I'm just starting to get my feet wet, paddling out to sea in a YellowDog
Linux install on a 7600 upgraded to G3@300 - I've always been at least
"borderline functional" in a *nix shell, but never tried to admin a *nix
box.

Geek-brag: Until I had to power down for the RAM addition about 2 weeks
ago, I had a 38 day uptime on it Does that mean I'm doing a good job
running it, or izzit that it's doing a good job of gracefully catching
my screwups?

[...]

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

In article ,
Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Sunworshipper wrote:

[ ... ]

me in the back for it. Someday I'll post pictures of it , need to find
the booklet for my scanner first cause it defaults or something to
TIFF.

If the only thing stopping you from shippin' pix is the fact that your
scanner saves to TIFF by default, all ya gotta do to get a JPEG is this:
1: Scan whatever it is. Let it save it as a TIFF - All those are is raw
image dumps. (Which is why they're so huge)

Yep -- but also why they are the best

I snipped the rest of the paragraph - 'Cause it didn't need saying in
the first place. Why? Well, it's pretty tough to get a lossy compressed
image that's better than the original raw data, y'know?

Understood. But the other compression systems are *not* lossy,
so they are a better choice. And a lot of things (including digital
cameras) tend to default to JPG, so you need to know that there is a
good reason to select something else.

For b&w,
particularly line drawings, GIF is *THE* way to go, period. IMO, of
course.

Except for the problem which kept it out of use in freeware for
quite a few years. (It also zapped the use of the "compress" program.
The problem is the patenting of the LZW compression algorithm by
Unisoft, and the demanding that royalties be paid.

As a result, freeware (which had no mechanism for paying
royalties) had to drop support for GIF. This includes most unix
programs. Only commercial programs are in a position to submit royalty
payments.

Even now, they have only compression-free versions of GIF in
many of the programs. I understand that the patent has finally run out,
so GIF may come back into more common use.

but I've got no doubt whatsoever that there are others. Linux/*nix geeks
- you're on your own - I *KNOW* there's something (more probably,
several somethings) that will do it, but I haven't yet soaked up enough
*nix know-how to name one.

Yep -- several options.

Nice catch, Don Thanks!

I'll leave the list in place 'cause it's darn good info to have around.

O.K. Though I will snip it in this reply -- as people can use
Google to recover old articles at need.

I'm just starting to get my feet wet, paddling out to sea in a YellowDog
Linux install on a 7600 upgraded to G3@300 - I've always been at least
"borderline functional" in a *nix shell, but never tried to admin a *nix
box.

Geek-brag: Until I had to power down for the RAM addition about 2 weeks
ago, I had a 38 day uptime on it Does that mean I'm doing a good job
running it, or izzit that it's doing a good job of gracefully catching
my screwups?

Well ... it is in part that you have done nothing to *cause*
problems, at least. Often, the best thing to do is *nothing* -- until
something really *needs* doing. Obviously, regular backups are a
necessary thing.

Beyond that, you should only need to reboot if you make hardware
changes. Observe a subset of my systems:

ceilidh up 325+02:07, 1 user, load 0.04, 0.09, 0.14
popocat up 334+04:27, 0 users, load 0.10, 0.02, 0.01
twenty20 up 224+19:30, 0 users, load 0.01, 0.01, 0.01

One (popocat) is still running SunOs 4.1.4 (the last BSD
flavored version of SunOs from several years ago. (I installed it
September 29th 1999.) It is a SS-10 with two dual CPU boards, for a
total of four (quite slow -- 35 MHz) CPUs.

That longest uptime would have been longer, if it were not for a
power outage longer than the UPS batteries could handle. :-)

Ceilidh (a SS-10) is running Solaris 2.6 (SunOs 2.6). Dual 50
MHz CPU,

Twenty20 is a SS-20, with dual CPUs, running Solaris 2.8.

stromboli up 3+14:52, 1 user, load 0.03, 0.01, 0.01

The uptime on the last one is so short because it has memory
which is a bit marginal on speed, and reboots spontaneously when there
is a memory error. Here is the error report from /var/log/syslog:

Nov 28 03:16:59 stromboli unix: [ID 836849 kern.notice]
Nov 28 03:16:59 stromboli panic[cpu0]/thread=f683d0a0:
Nov 28 03:16:59 stromboli unix: [ID 166057 kern.notice] asynchronous memory fault:\
MFSR=81804860 MFAR=39c8c1c
Nov 28 03:16:59 stromboli unix: [ID 100000 kern.notice]

I probably should translate that into a notification of which
SIMM is bad, and swap it out. But it only happens about once every few
months -- usually when I am asleep, and it reboots cleanly.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 01:45 PM