Allan Adler

Default rack and pinion

The telescope I've referred to in recent postings has a pair of knobs
joined by an axis whose center is a pinion that engages a rack on a tube
that holds the eyepiece. This enables one to focus the telescope. The
rack seems to be well-oiled but still moves somewhat unevenly in some
places as one turns the knobs.

When I look at it so that I can see all the teeth below me: |||||||||||
it seems that they have not all worn evenly, that some are apparently
thicker than others, and that some of the valleys between them are
more filled than others. I don't know if the latter condition indicates
there is more oil in some than others or whether it indicates the presence
of more dirt, which contributes to the uneven motion. The person who loaned
it to me told me it would be ok for me to oil it and maybe that also means
it is ok for me to clean it (e.g. with a toothbrush). But before I do anything,
I'd like to be sure of what kinds of conditions contribute to this kind
of uneven motion in a rack and pinion. It mostly turns evenly but in some
places it seems more prone to offer some resistance.

Leaving aside whether it would be permissible to make repairs on the borrowed
scope, I don't know if it is possible to replace the rack. It seems to be
riveted in place. I wouldn't know how to select a replacement rack or two
replacement rivets. Maybe with suitable machines, I could make my own rack.
That is something I would keep in mind for the future, when I have some
machines and want to modify or build my own telescope.

Continuing with the hypothetical, suppose I want to be really fanatical
about figuring out what exactly is wrong with the rack. Since eyeballing
it suggests some irregularities, suppose I want to measure all of the
heights of the teeth and all of the widths of the peaks and of the valleys.
Is there any convenient way to do this? One way that occurrs to me
is to take the rack, clean it, ink it and press it against a piece
of paper to make a print of the rack. Then I can photocopy the inked
page with enlargement and measure it. There would still be a lot of
measurements to make, but they wouldn't be so small and easy to mess up.
Also, if the print were faint in some places, that would confirm my
impression that it was badly worn in some places.

There is one other issue related to the rack and pinion. There seems to
be no barrier between the rack and pinion and the interior of the
telescope tube. It occurs to me that this might let vapors from the
oil diffuse into the tube and possibly also coat the inner surface of
the telescope lens at the other end. That sounds undesirable and makes me
wonder whether someone might have made a mistake by oiling the rack and
pinion in the first place. If so, the source of the mistake might have
been that someone noticed the uneven motion and resistance to turning,
didn't realize the role that wear might have played in it, and instead
tried to solve the problem by oiling it without realizing that this
might be bad for the optics.

On the other hand, I don't know anything about scopes or racks and pinions,
so my 'pinions aren't worth anything. If someone is better informed, please
inform me. Thanks.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

On 27 Nov 2004 02:18:57 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

Clean the rack and pinion, making sure that there's nothing stuck in
the root, the very bottom of the teeth. Uneven wear, or uneven
spacing when the rack was made? Either are possible, Rack and
pinions are available from Boston Gear, Browning and others. If it's
older US made scope, no problem. If it's a newer import, Rotsa Ruck.

Accepted lube is RT-44, using way oil or any other substitute is going
to guarantee problems with lube migration, or shiny stains where you
don't want them.

IF you replace the rack, you might be tempted to use the nylon rack,
bad idea, I've done it and it didn't take long to switch back to the
brass. Rivetted sounds like an import, 0-80 screws are what I use.
It ain't rocket science, pretty straight forward job.

Helical focuser is also an option, and I've made a couple of those
too, each has it's benefits and drawbacks. Personal preference there,
neither has a clear advantage over the other unless you're putting a
camera on the focuser, in which case the helical is out.
Anthony

Allan Adler wrote in
:

big snip

You might want to investigate the pinion. There may be nothing wrong with
the rack at all. If the center hole on the pinion is offset, or at an
angle to the teeth, this would also explain the uneven wear. Even a mis-
alignment of the two bores the pinion rides in could cause this.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Allan Adler

Anthony writes:

You might want to investigate the pinion. There may be nothing wrong with
the rack at all. If the center hole on the pinion is offset, or at an
angle to the teeth, this would also explain the uneven wear. Even a mis-
alignment of the two bores the pinion rides in could cause this.

I ruled out a problem with the pinion on the grounds that the resistance
wasn't repetitive as one turned the knobs completely a few times. I don't
know if that is a valid argument.

The pinion and the knobs form a single piece. So, unless it was made
incorrectly, I don't have any reason to suspect the pinion itself. I'm
not sure what you mean by "at an angle to the teeth". One meaning might
be that it crosses the teeth. With that meaning, it might not work at all,
so I'm guessing you mean that the planes containing the teeth of the pinion
and of the rack are parallel but the peaks of the pinion are not parallel
to those of the rack. To put it another way, I think you're saying that
the axis of the knobs might not be parallel to the bottom line of the
rack valley it passes through, so that it dips to one side. That is
conceivable but again it would seem that it would result in consistent
problems all along the length of the rack, not just in one place.

On the other hand, there still might be a problem such as you describe.
I unscrewed the "box" that covers the pinion. It is not perfectly rectangular,
since it has to fit against the cylindrical tube and also it has cuts
to allow the axis of the knobs to pass. I turned the box over, so that
these cuts were all on top and the box was open, and noticed that there
was a flat rectangular piece of metal inside of nearly the same length
and width of the box. The rectangular piece had a rectangular hole in it.
When I opened it, it was jammed in so as to run diagonally in the box from
one edge on the bottom to the opposite edge on the top. There were two
more identical pieces of metal sitting flat on the cylinder and the
axis of the knobs, enclosing the little towers that the screws screwed
into and the pinion. The bottom of the box has four "pedestals", one in
each corner. I don't know whether the flat piece of metal was correctly
placed. Possibly someone else opened it up to oil the pinion and put the
flat piece back in incorrectly and possibly it is really supposed to be
in the diagonal position in which I found it. If the three flat pieces
are removed entirely, then the axis of the knobs wobbles badly. I think
the three flat pieces are intended to sit flat on the four pedestals.
When they are stacked that way, they fit in the box but rise to block
off most of the hole the knob axis passes through. So, I think the flat
pieces are used to clamp the knob axis in a fixed position. The flat
pieces also rise above the bottom of the circular arcs that are intended
to fit the cylinder body. I think that when the box is screwed back onto
the cylinder, the flat pieces are forced down to the bottom of the circular
arcs, forcing them to bend to conform more to the cylindrical shape. This
has the effect of pushing the other two, still straight, edges of the flat
pieces to clamp the knob axis even more tightly. This arrangement makes
so much sense to me in terms of the operation of the rack and pinion that
I find it hard to believe that the diagonal arrangement I found could
possibly be correct, but maybe there is something I don't know, such as
the possibility that the diagonal arrangement eliminates some lateral
movement.

I didn't find that correcting it, even if it was wrong, made any difference
in the resistance, but this is all kind of subjective. Unfortunately, I can't
see the pinion engaging the rack, so it is hard to know what the problem
is exactly, except by trying something that has the effect of curing it
and concluding that what I thought I was correcting was actually what
was wrong. But I do have one idea: I can count how many teeth there are
on the pinion and how many are on the rack and how much of a turn I have
to make of the knobs to move a given number of teeth along the rack and how
many teeth there are between the visible part of the rack and the part that
actually engages the teeth. That means I may be able to wait until I find
some resistance and then turn the knobs the appropriate amount to move the
bad part of the rack to where I can see it.

After I've gotten that crackpot idea out of my system, I'll probably just
clean and re-oil it, as was suggested by others. But I'm still concerned
about the possibility that oil fumes might be contaminating the telescope
tube and coating the inside surface of the telescope lens.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Allan Adler

e writes:

Clean the rack and pinion, making sure that there's nothing stuck in
the root, the very bottom of the teeth. Uneven wear, or uneven
spacing when the rack was made? Either are possible, Rack and
pinions are available from Boston Gear, Browning and others. If it's
older US made scope, no problem. If it's a newer import, Rotsa Ruck.

It was made in Japan according to the specifications of Meade. I didn't
see a date anywhere, but I know that it is at least 10 or 11 years old
and probably more.

The "root". That's a good name for the bottom of teeth.

Accepted lube is RT-44, using way oil or any other substitute is going
to guarantee problems with lube migration, or shiny stains where you
don't want them.

Like on the lens?

Is there any convenient way to try to figure out, without damaging the
telescope or screwing up its optical alignment, whether any lubrication
has migrated into the telescope tube? If it has, is there a good way to
clean up the mess inside? Maybe if I don't see any chromatic aberration
or haloes, or something like that, when I look at the sky, all is well,
but maybe the effects are subtler than that.

IF you replace the rack, you might be tempted to use the nylon rack,
bad idea, I've done it and it didn't take long to switch back to the
brass. Rivetted sounds like an import, 0-80 screws are what I use.
It ain't rocket science, pretty straight forward job.

I don't actually know that they are rivets. I only know that when I look
at the rack (not brass, by the way, but some grey metal), the brass things
I see holding it in place don't look like screws. I can't see into the tube
very well but the one "rivet" I can see in it seems to have a kind of circular
hole, rather than a polygonal one, so I don't believe it was intended to
be unscrewed with any kind of allen wrench or other special tool.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

On 27 Nov 2004 10:51:04 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

The shaft for the pinion floats in the "box", and the flat piece
inside is the spring that keeps tension on it, keeping it fully
engaged. Where the spring contacts the shafts, use a heavy grease,
it's slow turning, but needs the lubrication. IF, when the pinion is
fully engaged in the rack, the shafts hit the bottom of the slots, the
rack is worn out.

If it's not repetitive, then the pinion is probably reasonably
concentric to the shaft, and the rack is the problem. In the older
scopes, wear on the rack would take a very long time, but the newer
ones sometimes have plastic rack, or soft brass, which will wear
quickly.

RT-44 is used because it does not outgass, it stays where you put it.
Oil fumes on the mirrors are a legitimate concern, not fatal, but
cause for cleaning and collumating more often than they should be.

If the rack is worn, there is nothing that will even things out but a
new rack. I would be more concerned if there was slop in the
drawtube/focuser body fit. This is also compensated for by the flat
spring in the "box". The spring should press the pinion into the
rack, and also to one side of the slots the shaft runs in.

On 27 Nov 2004 11:06:26 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

It was made in Japan according to the specifications of Meade. I didn't
see a date anywhere, but I know that it is at least 10 or 11 years old
and probably more.

Ok, newer import. But Meade supports their products pretty well, and
it might be possible to just buy a new drawtube, with the rack already
installed.

Is there any convenient way to try to figure out, without damaging the
telescope or screwing up its optical alignment, whether any lubrication
has migrated into the telescope tube? If it has, is there a good way to
clean up the mess inside? Maybe if I don't see any chromatic aberration
or haloes, or something like that, when I look at the sky, all is well,
but maybe the effects are subtler than that.

The biggest problem wouldn't be coating the lens, but causing shiny
places on the interior of the tube. It's generally noticable as a
loss of contrast, more when looking at a bright object, the moon for
example. If it's on the lens/mirror, it *may* cause haloes, or other
abberations, but chances of it getting there are pretty slim,
especially if the instrument hasn't been relubed with the wrong thing.

I clean, relube, recollumate my three reflectors about three times a
year, and there isn't too much you can do that isn't field adjustable
to correct. If it's a refractor, they're almost impossible to screw
up as long as you don't take the lens out of the cell. Once it comes
out, unless you mark everything to make sure it goes back in exactly
as it came out, all bets are off. Still, all it takes is marking so
you know what came out when. Especially the front and back faces of
the lens, in a non cemented lens, they can be reversed easily, and
then comes the bitch of trying to figure out which one is reversed. A
dot of water soluble marker can save hours of frustration.

I don't actually know that they are rivets. I only know that when I look
at the rack (not brass, by the way, but some grey metal), the brass things
I see holding it in place don't look like screws.

Could be a zinc alloy, not unheard of. Saves machining at the cost of
a longer life. If they were screws, the heads would be instantly seen
as such. Play in the rivets is also not unheard of, and sometimes can
be frustrating when you're trying to focus that 6mm eyepiece. The
higher the magnification, the worse small problems become. (Which is
probably why my favorite EP is a 28mm plossl.)
Kelly Jones

Alan:

A couple of simple things you can do to "diagnose" the gear mesh. First
thoroughly clean both rack and pinion. Do not polish, but be sure they are
clean. Then, do a contact pattern check. This is simply applying some sort
of compound to the entire rack and repeatedly running the rack end to end
several times and reviewing the "pattern" left behind. Obviously, don't use
too much or anything that will get into the optics. Any good grease will
do. (On a side note the professional gear guys use colored componds similar
to jewelere's rougue.)

What you should see ( in a correctly functioning gear mesh) is a uniform
pattern on both the rack and pinion through out the entire stroke (all the
way round the pinion and full length of the rack). The pattern should be
centered on both the rack and pinion and should be as wide as the narrowest
member (either the rack or the pinion).

You probably will not see a uniform pattern based on what you wrote. If you
see the pattern move back and forth across the gears, then you have a
misalignment of the pinion shaft (not 90 degrees to the rack). If you see
the pattern move deeper and then shallower in the gears then either the rack
is warped, or the pinion is ecentric, or you have excessive wear. Use a
dial indicator to determine whether you have an alignment problem and deal
with it accordingly if you find one. Alsi check to see if the top of either
the pinion teeth or the rack teeth is contacting in the root of the mating
gear.

Rack wear is simple to check. Use a caliper and measure the pitch between
any two teeth near either end of the rack (just like thread pitch). If two
adjacent teeth are too close for you to measure then simply measure between
any convenient number ot teeth (say three or four). Then repeat this
measurement several times along the length of the rack paying special
attention to the teeth in the middle of the rack. Shorter measurements
indicate wear.

The pinion can be checked for wear similarly. A helpful trick is to get two
short pieces of wire the same diameter (No. 12 copper wire is good enough)
and lay one wire in the root of one tooth pair and the other wire in the
root of another tooth pair as close to 180 degrees as possible from the
first pair. Measure the distance "over the wires". Now repeat this
procedure with sucessive tooth root "pairs" all around the pinion You
should get the same measurement every time (or real close). Smaller
measurements indicate worn teeth.

Hope this helps.

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

[...]

* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions
and
* comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near
Boston.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Allan Adler wrote:

The telescope I've referred to in recent postings has a pair of knobs
joined by an axis whose center is a pinion that engages a rack on a tube
that holds the eyepiece. This enables one to focus the telescope. The
rack seems to be well-oiled but still moves somewhat unevenly in some
places as one turns the knobs.

When I look at it so that I can see all the teeth below me: |||||||||||
it seems that they have not all worn evenly, that some are apparently

[ ... ]

[...]

What I would do to examine the rack is to check it on an optical
comparator (after a through cleaning, of course). Mount it so you see
the rack teeth in profile. Put some clear plastic film under the clips
on the display, select the largest magnification you can manage with
the optical comparator, and trace the outline of the profile on the
plastic film. Now, move to one of the worst teeth, adjust so the
bottom of the tooth profile is the same, and trace this one, The area
between the two profiles should give you a good idea how badly worn
it is.

To *make* one, the ideal way (with HSM tooling) would be a
horizontal milling machine, a proper gear tooth profile mill (for the
rack gear -- which is either #8 or #1 -- I forget which end is correct,
but when you buy it you can look that up in the catalog. One end of
the set is for 135 tooth through rack, and the other end is 12-13 teeth.

Obviously, you first have to know what the size of the rack
teeth are -- both diametrical pitch (or "module" for metric gears,
IIRC), and the pressure angle. And if the teeth are cut at an angle
instead of straight across the gear (more like "/////////" than
"||||||||") you will need to angle the blank, and to calculate a
correction factor to your feed using a bit of trig to get the tooth
spacing to come out right.

Note that the angled teeth are a lot smoother in the feed, but
you will need better bearings on the pinion, as it will have a side
thrust which the straight tooth will not.

Now -- if you want to avoid the side thrust, but benefit from
the smoothness, then a herringbone gear would be ideal -- but more
difficult to make. It would look somewhat like this:

/ / / / / / / / / / / / /
\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

There is one other issue related to the rack and pinion. There seems to
be no barrier between the rack and pinion and the interior of the
telescope tube. It occurs to me that this might let vapors from the
oil diffuse into the tube and possibly also coat the inner surface of
the telescope lens at the other end. That sounds undesirable and makes me
wonder whether someone might have made a mistake by oiling the rack and
pinion in the first place. If so, the source of the mistake might have
been that someone noticed the uneven motion and resistance to turning,
didn't realize the role that wear might have played in it, and instead
tried to solve the problem by oiling it without realizing that this
might be bad for the optics.

The typical lube used in the focusing rings of cameras
(multi-start threads) is typically a quite thick grease, and has fairly
minimal vapor -- unless it is kept in the direct midsummer sun. :-)

On the other hand, I don't know anything about scopes or racks and pinions,
so my 'pinions aren't worth anything. If someone is better informed, please
inform me. Thanks.

Well -- you have most of what I know about the subject above.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
wrote:

[ ... ]

Helical focuser is also an option, and I've made a couple of those
too, each has it's benefits and drawbacks. Personal preference there,
neither has a clear advantage over the other unless you're putting a
camera on the focuser, in which case the helical is out.

A double helical -- a tube threaded inside and outside -- one
left-hand thread and the other right hand thread, with an inner tube
connected to the camera and the outer tube connected to the telescope,
and some kind of keyway to prevent rotation of the inner tube relative
to the outer tube and you are fine. This is pretty much the way the
focusing ring on SLRs is done. (Some older lenses on folding cameras
had the front element on a single thread -- but that did not need to
move as far to focus through the desired range. Moving the entire lens
to focus takes more motion.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
wrote:
On 27 Nov 2004 22:17:10 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

A double helical -- a tube threaded inside and outside -- one
left-hand thread and the other right hand thread, with an inner tube
connected to the camera and the outer tube connected to the telescope,
and some kind of keyway to prevent rotation of the inner tube relative
to the outer tube and you are fine. This is pretty much the way the
focusing ring on SLRs is done.

Nope. Focus ring is a nut, with a retainer to keep it from moving,
the male thread is on the lens barrel. Usually 4 to 6 lead though,
never single lead. Which means there are a lot of ways that it will
go together, only one of which is right.

That may be the case in the eyepiece focusing on a telescope,
and for *some* camera lenses, but the longer the focal length, and the
more desire for close focusing, the more likely the camera lens is to be
with double helical. I have disassembled lenses of this sort, so I am
sure that they exist -- even as short as 135mm focal length on a 35mm
camera. The focus ring is tied to the ambisexual ring, with a female
thread attached to the camera body, and a male thread attached to the
lens cell itself, so you can move the lens cell a long distance without
having to have a threaded sleeve the whole length of the travel.

Yes, multi-lead makes for faster focusing, and is amost always
found in SLRs at least -- and even in the very fine thread on the front
element of a Zeiss 75mm f3.5 Tessar on a folding 120/620 roll film
camera (16 shots per roll, with that short a focal length -- vertical
format by default. That was my first camera with a reasonable quality
lens.

Suppose a helical focuser for a scope could be made that way, but
most of them don't have a real thread as such, it's usually a radiused
groove, and engages a ball indent for rapid focusing. I make mine
like a very shallow acme thread, the groove just wide enough to take
the ball, and deep enough so the ball almost touches the bottom.
Parfocal eyepieces eliminate the need for the rapid, but add quite a
bit to the cost. There are focusers available in just about any
configuration anyone would want, if their wallet is heavy enough.

The ball and groove one would work well enough for something
light, like an eyepiece, but when you hang the weight of a camera body
-- especially if it has a motor drive as part of it for semi-remote
shooting -- you need something more sturdy, like a real thread.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Allan Adler

Grant Erwin writes:

Allan, what if you ask for a digital camera for Christmas?

OK, Grant: Can I have a digital camera for Christmas?
(How's that for grantsmanship?)
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Allan Adler

e writes:

The shaft for the pinion floats in the "box", and the flat piece
inside is the spring that keeps tension on it, keeping it fully
engaged. Where the spring contacts the shafts, use a heavy grease,
it's slow turning, but needs the lubrication. IF, when the pinion is
fully engaged in the rack, the shafts hit the bottom of the slots, the
rack is worn out.

That seems like a simple enough test.

I would be more concerned if there was slop in the
drawtube/focuser body fit.

As a matter of fact, there seems to be, if I understand you correctly
to mean on the same surface that the rack is mounted to. It is mostly
near the rack but "slop" is a good description of it.

This is also compensated for by the flat
spring in the "box". The spring should press the pinion into the
rack, and also to one side of the slots the shaft runs in.

When you say "to one side", I think you mean either towards or away
from the eyepiece. This is an interesting point. As I mentioned, all
three flat pieces could simply sit on the 4 pedestals in the box, which
would lead to a symmetric pressure on the pinion axis. You seem to be
saying that is undesirable. On the other hand, when I opened the box,
there was asymmetry in the placement of the flat pieces: the one furthest
into the box was placed diagonally with one short edge at the "top" of the
box and the other short edge at the "bottom", where top and bottom refer
to distance from the drawtube/focuser body. The other two were placed
as flat as possible, given the asymmetric placement of the first one.
So, you seem to be saying that the way I found it was correct. Thanks!
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

Allan Adler

e writes:

Ok, newer import. But Meade supports their products pretty well, and
it might be possible to just buy a new drawtube, with the rack already
installed.

I'll look into that.

I clean, relube, recollumate my three reflectors about three times a
year, and there isn't too much you can do that isn't field adjustable
to correct.

You also clean the inside of the telescope tube?

Is there a good book that discusses all the things you can do to maintain
a scope in good condition?

If it's a refractor, they're almost impossible to screw
up as long as you don't take the lens out of the cell.

It's a refractor. I noticed that, where the lens is, there are 6 screws
holding a metal piece that I figure probably clamps the lens in a certain
position. The 6 screws are arranged in three pairs, with the three pairs
placed 120 degrees from each other. I noticed that the screws are not all
screwed in all the way. Some seem to be and others stand quite far away.
I considered tightening them but changed my mind when it occurred to me
that it might be like that for a reason. I don't know what the reason
might be but one possibility might be that it has something to do with
correctly aligning the lens with the eyepiece and the axis of the
scope. In that case, I really shouldn't mess with it.

Optics is a very interesting subject but on every occasion that I have had
an opportunity to do any experiments with optical equipment, I wound up
spending all my time in thankless and usually fruitless effforts to
correctly align something by turning triples of thumbscrews. If I
messed with the lens, I might have a chance to go through that all
over again.

On the other hand, it's probably a good thing to know how to do right,
if I believed I could ever get it right...
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Allan Adler wrote:

It's a refractor. I noticed that, where the lens is, there are 6 screws

It's a refractor, and it's borrowed. Two good reasons not to mess with
it. The latter because it's very irritating to find that something
you've loaned out and mentioned that it would be OK to oil is "rebuilt"
without your blessing. Especially if the rebuilding goes awry.

The former because I'm about 99% certain that what you are describing
(right down to the zinc rack) is a cheesoid "christmas and birthday
telescope". The outside of the box prominently tells you it's 200x or
400x, it's got a wobby tripod which may have a low quality "polar"
mount, the aperture is a whopping 3 inches or so, etc. These things have
probably driven thousands of people away from astronomy.

They never work very well, and you should be able to get your own at a
junk shop, flea market, recycling center, goodwill or tag sale for very
little money. Don't buy one new. You can waste as much time and effort
as you would like tearing that apart, without annoying anyone. Don't
expect a very satisfying viewing experience.

If you actually want a telescope to look at the sky with, get a
reflector with a "dobsonian" mount. A physics teaching acquaintance has
2 or 3 of the cheesy refractors (people donate them when they discover
that they can't actually see all the stuff they thought they'd see), and
one reflector (bought). There's just no comparison, the reflector is
that much better - and not really much more expensive if bought new. You
can also go the traditional route and grind your own mirror, if you
like, or buy mirrors and build the rest of the scope (pretty easy). The
mount is easy to build, as well.

On 28 Nov 2004 02:11:16 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

You also clean the inside of the telescope tube?

As far as cleaning out the spiderwebs, but all I do is run a dry towel
through it for that. Mine are all reflectors. I do have a wide field
made from a Kodak Aero-Tessar, but that lens is so heavy that I seldom
use the instrument, Very difficult to balance it on the mount. The
tube is some 20 inches long, not counting the focuser, and balances 3
inches behind the objective lens.

Is there a good book that discusses all the things you can do to maintain
a scope in good condition?

Amateur Astronomer's Handbook, J.B.Sidgwick, Dover press 0-486-24034-7
Also Amateur telescope Making, Ingalls, but it's long out of print,
might find a copy at a library. Scientific American Publishing, my
copy is copyright 1935.

If it's a refractor, they're almost impossible to screw
up as long as you don't take the lens out of the cell.

It's a refractor. I noticed that, where the lens is, there are 6 screws
holding a metal piece that I figure probably clamps the lens in a certain
position. The 6 screws are arranged in three pairs, with the three pairs
placed 120 degrees from each other.

Yes. Antagonistic screws, one will move the lens mount, the threads
are in the mount, the other is the locking screw, the threads are in
the part that is mounted to the tube. They should be snug, but not
tight, excess pressure from them can distort the lens, or in really
bad cases, crack it. Also a sign of a little better quality
instrument, BTW.

Even with the reflectors, collumination is a process of three
interactive adjustments, the degree of perfection being dependent on
your patience. I have cheaters methods I use in the field, probably
not giving perfect collumation, but good enough for casual stargazing.
Sidgwick covers it fairly well, but he also goes into making
micrometers and other attachments that would require a higher degree
of perfection than I do.

On 28 Nov 2004 01:52:42 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

I would be more concerned if there was slop in the
drawtube/focuser body fit.

As a matter of fact, there seems to be, if I understand you correctly
to mean on the same surface that the rack is mounted to. It is mostly
near the rack but "slop" is a good description of it.

Ok. On some of the focusers, I don't know if Meade ever used it,
there are flat springs opposite the rack, and they furnish friction to
keep it from moving unless driven by the rack/pinion. If these are
properly set, they will hold the drawtube in a sort of balance with
the pressure of the rack, but will seem to be allowing movement, which
in use will not be the case. The old 6" Edmonds has two felt strips
opposite the rack, some have other methods, even going so far as to
having eliminated the rack for a friction drive, and having ball
bearings instead of springs or felt. The main thing is that with the
eyepiece installed, it should be centered and with the optical axis
also centered and parallel to the optical axis of the objective lens.
If it was a cheaper focuser, and has the felt, chances are that the
felt has compressed and is no longer holding it firmly. Quicky
repairs can be made by replacing the felt, but I prefer to use the
flocking from the film slit of a 35mm cartridge instead of felt. It
seems to not compress as quickly, and sometimes gives a little more
"solid" feel to the focuser.

When you say "to one side", I think you mean either towards or away
from the eyepiece.

It should be holding it so the shaft can't move up or down or towards
the drawtube easily. If it's too loose, it acts like backlash, or
excess play when changing the directon you're moving the drawtube.
There are as many variations in how it was accomplished as there are
makers of telescopes, every one of them believing they have a "better
idea." My own "better idea" would be a planetary drive fine focus
knob, but due to the costs of making such an animal, maybe it wouldn't
be worth it. I probably have ten or fifteen focusers in different
stages of "maybe this will work" in the basement, but still have to
come up with the "perfect" idea. It's pretty hard to improve on
something that people have been working on for several hundred years.
Lennie the Lurker

(DoN. Nichols) wrote in message ...

That may be the case in the eyepiece focusing on a telescope,
and for *some* camera lenses, but the longer the focal length, and the
more desire for close focusing, the more likely the camera lens is to be
with double helical.

The only ones that I have ever seen with the double helical are the
Macro-Zoom lenses, and the double action was switched out unless using
the macro function.

Yes, multi-lead makes for faster focusing, and is amost always
found in SLRs at least -- and even in the very fine thread on the front
element of a Zeiss 75mm f3.5 Tessar on a folding 120/620 roll film
camera (16 shots per roll, with that short a focal length -- vertical
format by default. That was my first camera with a reasonable quality
lens.

The reason for the multiple lead is that it holds the lens more square
to the body than a single lead of the same lead pitch would. Much
closer tolerances are easily held than would be the case with a
coarser single lead.

The ball and groove one would work well enough for something
light, like an eyepiece, but when you hang the weight of a camera body
-- especially if it has a motor drive as part of it for semi-remote
shooting -- you need something more sturdy, like a real thread.

I'm not aware of any photo/visual being made with a helical focuser,
if a camera is going to be used, it's normall in a rack and pinion
focuser. I don't ever remember seeing a helical in any refractor,
other than in the finder scope, almost always rack and pinion. (Even
the Yerkes 40" Clark, which I've had the priviledge of having a 30
second peek through it. Absolutely, completely, totally spoiled for
life. Open house at their centenial, but only using about 700
diameters magnification. somewhere between 300 to 500 people got to
look through it during the course of the night.)

Allan Adler

Ecnerwal writes:

The former because I'm about 99% certain that what you are describing
(right down to the zinc rack) is a cheesoid "christmas and birthday
telescope". The outside of the box prominently tells you it's 200x or
400x, it's got a wobby tripod which may have a low quality "polar"
mount, the aperture is a whopping 3 inches or so, etc. These things have
probably driven thousands of people away from astronomy.

I doubt very much that there is a telescope that is so bad that I
can't learn something from it. Galileo discovered the moons of Jupiter
with a much worse scope. Tycho Brahe didn't even have a telescope. Neither
did Ptolemy, whose 2 millennium old astronomical contributions are immortal
and can still give an amateur plenty of work to do. I may wind up agreeing
with you about this scope, but not until after I have made every effort to
get something out of using it and examining it.

The person who loaned it to me is pretty competent in astronomy and I
have a lot of confidence in him. The manual says one can see cloud
belts on Jupiter, the Galilean moons of Jupiter, Saturn's rings and some
of its moons and lots of details of the Moon. That's not a bad start.
Meanwhile, the scope didn't cost me anything and I'm up for the experience
of using it, good or bad.

Even the low level routine of setting up a scope and finding something in
a finder scope and training the main scope on it is more than I am currently
competent to do. If I only get that much out of it, and even if the images are
lousy, I'll be ahead of the game. Part of finding stuff without computer
control is having a certain amount of experience with the general layout of
the sky without a scope. That's also something I don't have and I expect I'll
get a lot of practice with it trying to use the scope. So what if I
can't see anything as long as I walk away from the experience stronger
for having tried? That's really all I care about.

Which reminds me: is it better to get one dinky Unimat1 now and be able
to use all of its component machines, or get the admittedly much better
Sherline lathe now and have to wait perhaps several years to get the
Sherline milling machine? I'm finding it a tough call, not unlike the
issues raised above. If I could get the Unimat1 immediately for free under
these circumstances, I would take it and benefit from the experience of using
it. It's the same with the telescope.

I already go out with binoculars to look at the sky. This scope's a
lot better than that.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

On 29 Nov 2004 03:19:43 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

I doubt very much that there is a telescope that is so bad that I
can't learn something from it. Galileo discovered the moons of Jupiter
with a much worse scope. Tycho Brahe didn't even have a telescope. Neither
did Ptolemy, whose 2 millennium old astronomical contributions are immortal
and can still give an amateur plenty of work to do. I may wind up agreeing
with you about this scope, but not until after I have made every effort to
get something out of using it and examining it.

Allan, the lens mount you describe rules out a deparment store scope,
what you have is a much more expensive instrument. Meade has, and
does, import some rather poor scopes, but they also have their higher
lines, which are quite good.

Here's a quicky test for the mounting of the lens, pick any star, move
the focus until you get a blurry dot. If it's round, the lens is
mounted square, it it's an oval, the lens needs to be collumated, and
the axis that needs adjusting is 90 degrees to the shorter axis of the
image. They will interact, and it can be a long and frustrating
process to get the dot round. For visual observing, perfection is not
needed.

Which reminds me: is it better to get one dinky Unimat1 now and be able
to use all of its component machines, or get the admittedly much better
Sherline lathe now and have to wait perhaps several years to get the
Sherline milling machine? I'm finding it a tough call, not unlike the
issues raised above. If I could get the Unimat1 immediately for free under
these circumstances, I would take it and benefit from the experience of using
it. It's the same with the telescope.

If you can get one for free, go for it. Don't even think about it,
you can learn a lot from the Unimat. For a step up from the Unimat, I
would say the Taig, rather than the Sherline. Both have their
limitations, but neither of them has an advantage in the quality of
the work they can do. The quality of the work depends more on the
hands on the machine than on the machine itself. If you can get one
with all the attachments, much the better, the only limitation in what
you can attempt will be in the size of the work. For small work, and
learning purposes, they're excellent little machines.

Allan Adler

e writes:

Allan, the lens mount you describe rules out a deparment store scope,
what you have is a much more expensive instrument. Meade has, and
does, import some rather poor scopes, but they also have their higher
lines, which are quite good.

That's good to know. The guy who loaned it to me told me that one can
scopes like this one for about $150.

Here's a quicky test for the mounting of the lens, pick any star, move
the focus until you get a blurry dot. If it's round, the lens is
mounted square, it it's an oval, the lens needs to be collumated, and
the axis that needs adjusting is 90 degrees to the shorter axis of the
image. They will interact, and it can be a long and frustrating
process to get the dot round. For visual observing, perfection is not
needed.

I was wondering how one could test for that. Thanks.

Based on my experiences examining the scope, I had to ask myself: "What
if I loaned my scope to some bozo who decided to educate himself by taking
it apart and putting it back together. How could I develop a set of procedures
for checking everything the bozo could have messed with and, in case it
has been modified, for bringing it to a "standard" configuration. Every
scope is different, and it must depend on the scope. But I'll have that
question in mind when I look through the books you suggested.

Which reminds me: is it better to get one dinky Unimat1 now and be able
to use all of its component machines, or get the admittedly much better
Sherline lathe now and have to wait perhaps several years to get the
Sherline milling machine?

If you can get one for free, go for it. Don't even think about it,
you can learn a lot from the Unimat. For a step up from the Unimat, I
would say the Taig, rather than the Sherline. [snip] If you can get one
with all the attachments, much the better, the only limitation in what
you can attempt will be in the size of the work. For small work, and
learning purposes, they're excellent little machines.

Thanks for the advice.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Allan Adler

Donald Nichols wrote:

What I would do to examine the rack is to check it on an optical
comparator (after a through cleaning, of course).

I looked in my optics books and didn't find "optical comparator", so I
did a google search and found some information about it. Based on that,
I'm wondering whether an old microfilm reading machine I fished out of
a dumpster could be adapted for this purpose. It's housing is made of wood,
the optics are in metal and it is intended for strips of microfilm,
but I did manage to look at some crystals with it. It's a piece of junk
but I've been reluctant to give up on it. The point is moot at the moment
since it is in storage where I can't get at it, but I expect that situation
to change. Even so, I'll need to acquire more practical knowledge about
optics than I have at the moment before tackling it. This would be a lot
cheaper than buying a comparator, I think, which would probably cost more
than a new scope. But I'm looking forward to trying out this comparator
idea for checking out the rack.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Allan Adler

"Kelly Jones" described very clearly and in great
detail how I could make a thorough check of the condition of the rack and
pinion on the telescope. I just have a few questions:

Then, do a contact pattern check. This is simply applying some sort
of compound to the entire rack and repeatedly running the rack end to end
several times and reviewing the "pattern" left behind. Obviously, don't use
too much or anything that will get into the optics. Any good grease will
do. (On a side note the professional gear guys use colored componds similar
to jewelere's rougue.)

Is there some kind of common coloring one can mix with with "any good grease"
to simulate the stuff the professional gear guys use? For example, how
about adding a tiny bit of alizarin crimson or emerald green oil paint
to the grease?
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Allan Adler wrote:

Donald Nichols wrote:

What I would do to examine the rack is to check it on an optical
comparator (after a through cleaning, of course).

I looked in my optics books and didn't find "optical comparator", so I
did a google search and found some information about it.

Your'e unlikely to find them in an optics book -- but a
well-equipped machine shop is more likely to have one.

Based on that,
I'm wondering whether an old microfilm reading machine I fished out of
a dumpster could be adapted for this purpose. It's housing is made of wood,
the optics are in metal and it is intended for strips of microfilm,
but I did manage to look at some crystals with it.

Those tend to have more magnification, and less depth of field
than an optical comparator for machine shop work. Also, the screen
tends to be a bit awkward to get to to add a transparent sheet to draw
on. The one I have apparently came with optional lenses for 10X, 20X,
and 40X, but I only have the 20X lens.

A proper one has a collimated illuminator, a stage on which the
object under test resides (with X and Y motion to move the viewpoint,
plus Z for the focus. Usually, there is a way to measure the X and Y
motion -- either with big micrometer heads to move the stage, or with
dial indicators to measure the motion.

However, there are minimal ones which are handheld, including a
set of reticles to measure various things including small threads, and
angles, an eyepiece, and a tube to join them. eBay auction #3855942073
has a set of reticles, but not the eyepiece and tube. I'm not sure, but
I think that the price there is a bit high.

Reliable tools has a nice looking one up for auction
#3856418973, but it's heavy (300 pounds), and is certain to go higher,
as there are over four days left.

There is another by Nikon which is still within reason, and it
suggests an alternative name "Profile Projector" for the equipment.
(Auction #3856039570).

I don't see any of the lightweight ones like mine -- it *looks*
heavy, but is mostly blown plastic shell and a wood base. The size is
necessary to get enough optical length for good magnification. Note
that it *will* take up a lot of benchtop space.

Try eBay searches for "optical comparator" (with the quote
marks) and one will show up sooner or later. A reasonable price is
somewhere in the $200-$300 price range. Unfortunately, this type is not
there at the moment. Note that the same comparator shows up in the MSC
catalog and in sales flyers for significantly more -- reasonable for a
business, but not for a hobbyist. The brand on mine is "Micro-Vu", and
the one on the MSC offering is Fowler, IIRC.

It's a piece of junk
but I've been reluctant to give up on it. The point is moot at the moment
since it is in storage where I can't get at it, but I expect that situation
to change. Even so, I'll need to acquire more practical knowledge about
optics than I have at the moment before tackling it. This would be a lot
cheaper than buying a comparator, I think, which would probably cost more
than a new scope. But I'm looking forward to trying out this comparator
idea for checking out the rack.

If you want to try to make one, the general design involves:

1) Illuminator on one side of the stage (or below it with a
transparent stage). (Plan on something like one of the Quartz
Halogen projector lamps in their own parabolic reflectors so you
have adequate brightness for good visibility in a well-lit shop.
Remember that the more the magnification, the less the
brightness remaining.

2) Moving stage for the device under test.

3) Lens to focus the image onto the screen.

4) Angled mirror in the back to bounce the image back and up
towards the screen.

5) Round ground glass screen with reference lines (cross hairs
plus angle lines and radius lines engraved in the glass, and
filled with black paint.

6) Ring surrounding the ground glass screen, with a full 360 degree
angle scale on it, and a vernier scale adjacent to it to allow
measuring to fifteen minutes or so.

7) Spring fingers (similar to those which hold slides on cheap
microscopes. These are used to hold the transparent films,
either for hand drawing to compare worn and unworn teeth, or
printed in a plotter from a computer, or photographically
printed, to compare new parts to their designed profile for
quality-control inspection.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

On 30 Nov 2004 01:28:24 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

"Kelly Jones" described very clearly and in great
detail how I could make a thorough check of the condition of the rack and
pinion on the telescope. I just have a few questions:

Allan, as so often happens in this group, most of them have gone off
the deep end again.

You do not have to do a pattern check on the rack and pinion, that is
for precision gearing, and precision gearing is not found in focusers
under the $250 range. THe pinion is probably cut from extruded pinion
wire rather than being a cut gear. The rack, if it's a gray metal as
you describe, is die cast zinc, and no degree of precision there
either. It simply is not needed. The optical comparator is massive
overkill, just looking at the teeth with a good hand lens will show
the problem if it's bad enough to cause a real problem. The racks and
pinions in my old Edmonds are now over thirty years old, were never
the epitome of quality to begin with, and don't cause any problems in
use. If I were using one of the remote focusing units, the backlash
might be a problem, but as I focus "eyeball to the eyepiece", it is
not.

Lube, I lube the drawtube, but grease and oil only attract dirt to
cling in the rack, so mine runs dry except for the shaft and the
drawtube itself.

My final advice, put it back together, take it out and use it. If
nothing else, it will give you far better views than the telescopes of
Galileo, Herschel, Newton and others. IF the drawtube moves when you
turn the knob, it's doing what it's supposed to do. A lot of time can
be taken with technicalities, without looking at practicality. And
already has, the prime question is "can I get this thing in focus",
and if the answer is yes, going deeper into it is only wasting time
and money. Your time would be better spent in a dark place, with the
scope, even just sweeping starfields to see what is there that you can
resolve with the instrument.

Have fun.
Gunner

On 30 Nov 2004 02:25:01 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

[...]

I have a spare Micro-Vu that Id let go really cheap. Screen is in
excellent condition, but the light source was removed for some reason.
Power transformer is fine as is the staging. Might be a good place to
put on a nice bright LED light source.
No dial indicators, clamp your own on.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
Kelly Jones

Off the deep end? Perhaps. But the original question was about how to
check the rack and pinion, not whether it should be checked. I appreciate
you pragmatisism, but it was still fun to describe how to do a pattern
check. Whare's your sense of humor?

wrote:

"Kelly Jones" described very clearly and in
great
detail how I could make a thorough check of the condition of the rack and
pinion on the telescope. I just have a few questions:

Allan, as so often happens in this group, most of them have gone off
the deep end again.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:34:19 -0800, "Kelly Jones"
wrote:

Off the deep end? Perhaps. But the original question was about how to
check the rack and pinion, not whether it should be checked. I appreciate
you pragmatisism, but it was still fun to describe how to do a pattern
check. Whare's your sense of humor?

My sense of humor disappears very quickly when it goes from the realm
of the ideal to the realm of the ridiculous. A patten check on the
hypoid diff gears that I used to do by the dozens is one thing, on a
rack and pinion, where the rack is die cast and the pinion extruded is
senseless. I could have gone into the whole nine yards of a gear lab
check, but to what end? In this particular application, if the spur
gear has .0002" helix, and the involute error is .001", what's the
difference? Even pitchline to pitchline makes no difference here, the
pinion is crushed into the rack for full engagement by a spring, and
the relation of the pitchlines really don't mean squat. DP of the
rack and pinion is going to be probably 32 or finer, you're looking
for errors that are going to be in ten thousandths, and even if
they're found, they won't bother anything. Even my 35 year old
Edmonds, the focusing isn't perfectly smooth, but it doesn't make one
bit of difference, it still works just fine. There are some focusers
out there that are perfectly smooth, or as near as is possible, but at
$300 or so per copy. To what end? The mirror in my 10" f8 cost me
$350 for figuring and coating, I don't think a $300 focuser is going
to make it work any better. It has an off the shelf Boston rack, and
the pinion cut from pinion wire. Works just fine, and a hell of a lot
cheaper.

Why complicate things?
Gunner

On 30 Nov 2004 20:31:52 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 30 Nov 2004 02:25:01 -0500,
(DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

You're unlikely to find them in an optics book -- but a
well-equipped machine shop is more likely to have one.

[ ... ]

business, but not for a hobbyist. The brand on mine is "Micro-Vu", and
the one on the MSC offering is Fowler, IIRC.

I have a spare Micro-Vu that Id let go really cheap. Screen is in
excellent condition, but the light source was removed for some reason.
Power transformer is fine as is the staging. Might be a good place to
put on a nice bright LED light source.

Or build one around one of the Quartz Halogen projection lamps
with built-in reflector. Some of them (usually marked 82 V IIRC) are
designed to run from the AC line fed by a single rectifier diode. No
big transformer to deal with. But then again, the transformer in the
back helps counterweight the optics, stage, and lens at the front.

No dial indicators, clamp your own on.

Of course -- but provisions for mounting them. I've put a 5"
travel one on the X-axis on mine.

Out of curiosity, do you know which lens yours has?

Not at the moment. Ill have to dig it out and look. I believe the
magnification is 10x IRRC but which lens..no idea. It has the standard
MicroVu screen and grid pattern.

Frankly its in my way, and Id like to see someone get it.

Ive a minty 12" Dorsey OC in my back office that I use and I
understand that Ive just been bequeathed a Sony (? its orange) floor
model with DRO. ("Its in my way..come and get it..we just got new
CMMS and Mitys"...click)

Gunner

Enjoy,
DoN.

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
Allan Adler

wrote:

Off the deep end? Perhaps. But the original question was about how to
check the rack and pinion, not whether it should be checked. I appreciate
you pragmatisism, but it was still fun to describe how to do a pattern
check.

In all fairness to Kelly Jones, I did ask for how one would go about
taking a fanatical approach to the wear on the rack and pinion. And I
did find his reply interesting and informative, just as I found yours
to be. I'm not really in a position to carry out his suggestions at
the moment, and you're probably right that it isn't necessary, but I
like to know how to do things, even if they're not appropriate to the
task at hand, as long as I'm not under extreme time pressure to get
something done (and with the weather the way it's been, there's nothing
to look at in the scope anyway for the time being). Similarly, I realized
that I probably don't need to buy a comparator, but it was good to learn
about it, since I'd never heard of it.

As long as there was one person who was telling me exactly how to handle
the specific situation I was asking about, there was no real harm in
getting supplementary information from others that was not immediately
applicable. In the absence of that specific information, it would have
been a different story, but I think I can tell the difference between
what is immediately applicable and what isn't.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask about of your other comments,
namely about the Taig lathe. I had never considered it and didn't know
anything about it. I just took a look at http://www.taigtools.com
and I see that the basic Micro Lathe II only costs $173 (or only $144,
if I can assemble it myself, which I'm not sure I can do), and I think
I saw somewhere that shipping is free if I buy it online. That's pretty
tempting, but I may not realize that there is something else I would
obviously need that would raise the price by a lot. I see that their
milling machines are a lot more expensive.

I learned about the Sherline by reading Joe Martin's book, Tabletop Machining.
I see that the Taig website lists a book by Tony Jeffrey, entitled,
"The TAIG Lathe". Would it be a good idea to purchase this book before
committing to getting a Taig lathe?

They show it with optional 3-jaw chuck, boring bar, tailstock, drill chuck,
1/4 HP 1725 RPM motor, motor mounting bracket, mounting board and pulleys
for $399, presumably with free shipping for online purchase, which is less
than the Unimat 1 comes to after taxes and shipping are added. Hmm, the motor
is optional, as in no motor with the $144 deal?

Of course, the Unimat 1 comes with the other stuff (notably the milling
machine attachment), but one can't go too far wrong for $144, can one, as
long as it works, and the other stuff can wait a little while.

It's also probably easier to learn something by taking the Taig apart than
a Unimat 1...

I've decided on the first thing I will do when I finally get a lathe:
I have a T-connector for my Minolta XG-1 camera (which, even with its
apparently broken internal LEDs, is adequate for taking photographs through
my microscope), and an adapter to connect it to my microscope. Now that I
finally got my hands on a telescope, I tried to see if the adaptor would
work with the telescope and, of course, it doesn't. But if I can machine
a 1.25" O.D. tube to have a somewhat smaller O.D. near one end, I can use
it as an adaptor adaptor, with the telescope eyepiece holder grabbing onto
the 1.25" O.D. end and the camera-microscope adaptor grabbing onto the
smaller end. This seems like the absolutely simplest first project one
can do with a lathe, and I have an immediate use for it.

The following is probably a bad idea, but it would be instructive to try out.
I have a few eyepieces for my microscope. They are intended to fit the
microscope barrel, but again it wouldn't be hard to make an adaptor that
would let me insert them into the telescope. That is another very simple
lathe project. Whether these eyepieces would be any good with the telescope
is something I could then try out. Probably they wouldn't be, but I'd
see for myself. The next problem would be to learn why, from the standpoint
of optics, I should never have expected it to work in the first place.
But there is a kind of information mismatch. The microscope eyepieces are
only marked with their magnifications, such as 5X, 10X, 15X, while those
for the telescope are marked with their focal lengths, such as 15mm,25mm,30mm.
Even if the viewing isn't good, maybe I could wind up using the telescope
to measure the focal lengths of the microscope eyepieces. In the absence
of any optical equipment for doing such measurements, the idea of using
a telescope as an optical lab bench is rather tempting, even if somewhat
ridiculous.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

On 01 Dec 2004 03:49:43 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask about of your other comments,
namely about the Taig lathe. I had never considered it and didn't know
anything about it. I just took a look at http://www.taigtools.com
and I see that the basic Micro Lathe II only costs $173 (or only $144,
if I can assemble it myself, which I'm not sure I can do), and I think
I saw somewhere that shipping is free if I buy it online. That's pretty
tempting, but I may not realize that there is something else I would
obviously need that would raise the price by a lot. I see that their
milling machines are a lot more expensive.

The basic Taig is just that, the headstock, bed and carriage.
Everything else is an extra, But it's still possible to have a
complete lathe, with all accessories for under $500. IN the micro
lathes, between one and the other, everything is different. The chuck
for the Taig comes with soft jaws, which means, you have to learn to
bore them. Not really a negative, but on the flip side, getting
concentricity to where it's almost to little to measure is relatively
easy.

I learned about the Sherline by reading Joe Martin's book, Tabletop Machining.
I see that the Taig website lists a book by Tony Jeffrey, entitled,
"The TAIG Lathe". Would it be a good idea to purchase this book before
committing to getting a Taig lathe?

By all means. I haven't seen the book, but often a look at what
someone else has done makes what you want to do much eaiser.

Maybe Nick Carter will jump in here, he sells them and is very
knowledgeable on what people are doing with them.

They show it with optional 3-jaw chuck, boring bar, tailstock, drill chuck,
1/4 HP 1725 RPM motor, motor mounting bracket, mounting board and pulleys
for $399, presumably with free shipping for online purchase, which is less
than the Unimat 1 comes to after taxes and shipping are added. Hmm, the motor
is optional, as in no motor with the $144 deal?

Right. The package sounds very good, although I bought mine
piecemeal, which probably cost me more in the end. The shortcomings
of the machine show up, but by that time, you'll probably be far
enough along to recognize them, and have an idea of what to do to
clear them up. (There is no "perfect" machine for everythng.)

One thing they don't push very much, the collets for it, this is
something I bought quite some time after I had the basic machine and
enough of the extras to make it work. They are invaluable when you
have smaller diameter work, 5/16" is the biggest collet they have.
Mine ran dead true and held like a bulldog.

The instructions for assembling the kit sound somewhat simplistic, but
that's really all that's involved, it only takes a few minutes, well,
less than an hour.

I've decided on the first thing I will do when I finally get a lathe:

THis would be a very good project, not too much involved, but enough
to learn from it. One of my buddies put a University mirror cell in
an Oddesy scope, which moved the mirror forward almost 1 1/2", and no
focuser has the reach to make up for that. Making an extention tube
to move the eyepieces out was a relatively simple job, the Taig did
well.

The following is probably a bad idea, but it would be instructive to try out.
I have a few eyepieces for my microscope.

I've always had that idea, but have never acted on it. THe eyepieces
are of a much different design from telescope EP's, and probably
something is going to have to be done to compensate. IIRC, the focal
plane of the microscope EP is between the lenses, but that's looking
at older units. I have quite a few 10X and 15X wide field AO
eyepieces, but as they're in scopes, I'm somewhat reluctant to risk
taking them into the field. I spent hours going through a drawer of
hundreds of eyepieces trying to match pairs, losing one of them would
mean I couldn't find another to match it. I don't know any reason
that they wouldn't work, and probably pretty well.
Allan Adler

e writes:

The basic Taig is just that, the headstock, bed and carriage.
Everything else is an extra, But it's still possible to have a
complete lathe, with all accessories for under $500. IN the micro
lathes, between one and the other, everything is different. The chuck
for the Taig comes with soft jaws, which means, you have to learn to
bore them. Not really a negative, but on the flip side, getting
concentricity to where it's almost to little to measure is relatively
easy.

It makes sense that someone would purchase a complete lathe with all
the accessories. If they already had accumulated some of those accessories
from earlier acquisitions, it would make sense that they might forgo some
of them when purchasing a Taig. It would then make sense that Taig might
accomodate them by offering lathes without the accessories. But I'm not
sure under what circumstances someone (other than a complete beginner like
me, who doesn't know any better) might purchase a minimal $144 Taig that
doesn't even have a motor. Is there a significant part of the market
represented by people who already have a supply of motors?

I spent hours going through a drawer of hundreds of eyepieces trying to
match pairs, losing one of them would mean I couldn't find another to
match it.

I've been thinking about this statement and there are two things you
might mean by it.
(1) You sometimes take your eyepieces apart to scavenge the individual
lenses to recombine them in ways you find more advantageous. I know
from experience that they come apart, and I also found a website
(e.g.
http://www.astronomyboy.com/eyepieces) that tells you how to
make your own telescope eyepieces, so this isn't unthinkable. It's
another thing I was considering playing with when I get some machines.
I'm not sure but it sounds a lot cheaper than buying eyepieces.
(2) You have a binocular microscope and you need identical eyepieces for
each eye. In the latter case, it sounds like you have all the eyepieces
loose in the drawer but not grouped in matching pairs. If you had enough
little boxes, you could group together all the ones that have the same
magnification and not have to spend hours looking for matching pairs.

Regarding the threads on the threaded metal shells that hold individual
lenses in an eyepiece, are these threads that would be easy to duplicate
with standard tap and die sets or is there something special about them?
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Allan Adler wrote:

writes:

The basic Taig is just that, the headstock, bed and carriage.
Everything else is an extra, But it's still possible to have a

[ ... ]

It makes sense that someone would purchase a complete lathe with all
the accessories. If they already had accumulated some of those accessories

[ ... ]

Regarding the threads on the threaded metal shells that hold individual
lenses in an eyepiece, are these threads that would be easy to duplicate
with standard tap and die sets or is there something special about them?

The only taps which are likely to be usable for that sort of
thing would be the collapsable taps (sort of inside-out Geometric die
heads) used on turret lathes or automatic screw machines.

Optical threads of this sort are *very* fine relative to the
diameter. The reason for this is because they typically screw into
thin-walled cylinders, and fine threads are not as deep as coarse
threads.

And you wind up with really weird bybrid threads. IIRC (and
I could well be wrong) the standard thread for microscope objectives is
0.800" x 0.5mm (Inch diameter and metric thread pitch).

For production, you would use a collapsing tap to cut the inside
threads, and a Geometric die head with custom chasers to cut the outside
threads.

For onesy-twosy work, you would single-point it on a lahte,
which means (if you get a Taig) that you need to investigate Nick
Carter's mod which gives it threading capability.

Normal taps and dies are difficult to start square without some
kind of machine support helping you. You *could* have any special tap
and die made for you by the companies which make them, but it would cost
you quite a bit, and you still have the problem of getting them started
straight. And if you don't get them started straight, you have lens
elements tilted relative to the axis of the equipment, thus offering
optical abberations.

I think that if you are going to be doing much of this sort of
thing, you want to look for a dual-system lathe, with threading setups
for both Imperial and metric threads. (To do this properly means two
leadscrews with matching threading dials, and two quick-change gearboxes
to provide the proper ratios for the different systems.)

It is possible (with a set of transposing gears) to cut metric
threads on an Imperial machine or vise versa, but it will be a serious
pain, as you can't disengage the half-nuts until the thread is complete,
with however many passes it requires.

So -- while I have the Metric transposing gears for my Clausing,
as long as the size can be handled by my little Compact-5/CNC, I will
use it for metric threads, as all I need is to flip a switch to change
systems. (And even then, the 0.800" x 0.5mm thread would require
setting it up for metric threading, and converting the 0.800" to mm
before programming the machine.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

On 02 Dec 2004 22:55:28 -0500, Allan Adler
wrote:

It would then make sense that Taig might
accomodate them by offering lathes without the accessories. But I'm not
sure under what circumstances someone (other than a complete beginner like
me, who doesn't know any better) might purchase a minimal $144 Taig that
doesn't even have a motor. Is there a significant part of the market
represented by people who already have a supply of motors?

Taig also sells the motors, but most people just use a scavenged motor
from an old washer, dryer or whatever. 1/4 horse is plenty, I ran
mine on 1/6 horse until I got tired of having to lift the whole thing,
and the old motor was from 1937, HEAVY! Changed it over to a 1/12
horse scavenged from an old Bodine gear motor with the gear broken.
If you can get a slower motor, maybe 1140 RPM, it would be better.
Don't know if they're available on the surplus market or not.

(2) You have a binocular microscope and you need identical eyepieces for
each eye. In the latter case, it sounds like you have all the eyepieces
loose in the drawer but not grouped in matching pairs. If you had enough
little boxes, you could group together all the ones that have the same
magnification and not have to spend hours looking for matching pairs.

Bingo. Actually 5 binocs, two trinocs and a whole bunch of monocs. I
like old things. Maybe too much. Matching them for power isn't too
bad, but making sure they have the same aperture is where it gets fun,
you have to hold the pair to your eyes, then swing the fields until
they come together, they should be the same. (But usually aren't.) I
don't have a good supply anymore, but used to work with J&H microscope
on mods and accessories. You can get into some really wierd stuff.

Regarding the threads on the threaded metal shells that hold individual
lenses in an eyepiece, are these threads that would be easy to duplicate
with standard tap and die sets or is there something special about them?

Most of them that were made in the US had an unwritten standard of 40
threads per inch. Sometimes an odd ball of 36 TPI, but usually 40.
Metric, I don't know about, I've been out of the attachment making for
about ten years now, They're usually not included in the normal tap
and die sets, but most of the supply houses will have them. The
objectives, with only a very few exceptions, are .800"-36 TPI, 55
degree Whitworth threads. Most of the supply houses also have taps
and dies for this as well. Prices are pretty reasonable.

Gary Coffman

On 3 Dec 2004 00:37:40 -0500, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
snip
[...]

If I recall correctly, there was something called a Frog which could
control a Taig, and would do threads under program control. Yeah,
here it is
http://www.avatartools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I considered trying that, but wound up getting another lathe with
threading capabilities before I ever pulled the trigger on purchasing
a Frog.

I kept the Taig, and still use it for a lot of little fiddly projects. It is
excellent for small work. But threading jobs go on one of the other
lathes, or get handled by taps and dies.

Adding a Frog still looks like an attractive way to upgrade a Taig to
1 axis CNC. With 2 Frogs, you could do 2 axis CNC (the Frogs can
talk to each other, so interpolated taper and radius turning would
be possible in addition to fully automatic multipass threading).
At $199 each, that's starting to cost real money, but it is still a lot
cheaper than most CNC retrofits.

Gary

On 3 Dec 2004 00:37:40 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Allan Adler wrote:

writes:

The basic Taig is just that, the headstock, bed and carriage.
Everything else is an extra, But it's still possible to have a

[ ... ]

And you wind up with really weird bybrid threads. IIRC (and
I could well be wrong) the standard thread for microscope objectives is
0.800" x 0.5mm (Inch diameter and metric thread pitch).

Don, the standard is .800"-36TPI, 55 degree Whitworth threads, has
been for over 100 years. The same thread is used to hold the turrets
on the tube, or can be replaced with an extender to use single
objectives, and I have seen scopes built that way too. The only
exceptions I know of are Nikon and Olympus, and I've made a whole
bunch of adaptors for these scopes to use the Society standard
objectives. (If anyone can explain where "Society" comes from, it
might be interesting. What society?) Microscope eyepiece diameters
are .913", keeps the confusion away from telescopes where the smaller
standard is .965" for eyepieces. The sizes are not an inch or metric
standard, but were chosen to be completely oddball, meaning there's no
chance that the wrong thing will fit and work. (And again, some Nikon
eyepieces are non standard sizes, more expensive and I don't believe
too well accepted. Their "academics" have the standard eyepieces.)
Camera mount threads tend to be metric, .75mm pitch.

When it comes to stereo scopes, all bets are off, seems like everyone
had their own idea of what would be best and ran with it. My old AO
"Gray Lady" uses .913 eyepieces, my 7X with the 9" working distance
has non removable eyepieces. (I made Jerry a mount to hold another
long working distance 7X over his jewellers lathe, works great, wish
I'd made two of them.)

(Metalworking content: I think I know what I'm going to do today now.
Another overhead mount coming up.)