Jimmy

Default Trouble repairing air compressor

I was hoping that someone in this newsgroup might be able to help with this
problem. I recently inherited an old Sears 1hp air compressor from the
1970's -- (model 160.171140). It wasn't in great shape but since I don't
have one, I thought it would be great to fix up for the shop (this was back
when Sears/Craftsman made decent tools right?). Anyway, I ordered the
replacement parts from Sears at greatly inflated prices and they arrived
today. They are not identical to the ones that were originally on the
compressor, not that I expected them to. Most of the pieces worked out
ok--the check valve was identical, gaskets fit great, shut off and safety
valve is different but checks out (actually made of brass instead of the
original plastic!) but the pressure switch is giving me some trouble...

It is a Square D Pumptrol Pressure Switch (I have the model and specs if
that will help) and on the underside of the swich is attached a valve with
four threaded holes in it. The one on the bottom is where it attaches to the
shut off/safety valve, but I don't know about the other three? They are all
connected so the tank wont hold any air. Can I get some covers or plugs to
fill them all? On the old switch, there was a guage that showed the psi in
the tank but this new one does not. Should there be another valve or guage
threaded into the pressure switch? I'm a bit worried that if I simply plug
those holes, the motor won't know when to shut off? Is that how it works?

I would really appreciate any help you could give me on this problem. I
dread having to call sears for assistance since I don't really have half a
day to wait on the tele just to talk to someone who has no idea what they're
talking about so they can tell me that I need to schedule a service call!!

Thanks Jimmy

Leo Lichtman

"Jimmy" wrote in message
I was hoping that someone in this newsgroup might be able to help with this
problem. I recently inherited an old Sears 1hp air compressor from the
1970's -- (model 160.171140). It wasn't in great shape but since I don't
have one, I thought it would be great to fix up for the shop (this was
back
when Sears/Craftsman made decent tools right?). Anyway, I ordered the
replacement parts from Sears at greatly inflated prices and they arrived
today. They are not identical to the ones that were originally on the
compressor, not that I expected them to. Most of the pieces worked out
ok--the check valve was identical, gaskets fit great, shut off and safety
valve is different but checks out (actually made of brass instead of the
original plastic!) but the pressure switch is giving me some trouble...

It is a Square D Pumptrol Pressure Switch (clip) and on the underside of
the swich is attached a valve with four threaded holes in it.(clip) Can I
get some covers or plugs to fill them all?(clip) I'm a bit worried that if
I simply plug those holes, the motor won't know when to shut off?(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Pumptrol is a pressure switch, right? with wires coming out of it,
right? If you connect this so it shuts off the motor when it snaps, then it
should not hurt to plug all those holes. Besides, you are going to be
standing there watching it run, the first time you plug it in. If it
doesn't shut off when it should, you shut it off.

Eric R Snow

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:35:32 -0500, "Jimmy"
wrote:

[...]

Try google. Enter the name and model number. I just googled "square d
pumptrol" and one of the first hits was a page from a Square D
website.
Betcha find there what you want. You could even try calling them.
ERS
Bob Engelhardt

The tank is one-way-or-the-other connected to:
- the compressor (duh), through a one-way check valve,
- the outlet (duh again),
- the pressure switch,
- a pressure relief valve (the safety valve),
- a pressure gauge.

My compressor has a "christmas tree" fitting that all of these connect
to. I'm thinking that your 4-way is similar. Maybe:

gauge

compressor - (switch) - outlet

tank

Bob

Wild Bill

The holes you describe sound as though they're provided as extra accessory
ports, in that the switch assembly was probably made as a universal
replacement part.

So it would just be a multi-tap manifold for a tank pressure gage, a tank
pressure air outlet, a port for attaching a regulator, a hose quick
disconnect, and any other connections you might need to make to suit your
needs.
You can most likely find 1/8" or 1/4" pipe plugs at most hardware places,
for any of them that you don't use.
The only other material you should need will be thread sealant.

WB

"Jimmy" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

It is a Square D Pumptrol Pressure Switch (I have the model and specs if
that will help) and on the underside of the swich is attached a valve with
four threaded holes in it. The one on the bottom is where it attaches to the
shut off/safety valve, but I don't know about the other three? They are all
connected so the tank wont hold any air. Can I get some covers or plugs to
fill them all?

Go ahead and plug the holes you are not using on that main "cross"
casting. They provide the other holes so you don't need more plumbing
pieces to build the compressor - hang a pressure gauge off one hole,
relief valve off a second, and the regulator and output QC chuck on
the third.... Probably 1/4" NPT pipe threads.

On the old switch, there was a guage that showed the psi in
the tank but this new one does not. Should there be another valve or guage
threaded into the pressure switch? I'm a bit worried that if I simply plug
those holes, the motor won't know when to shut off? Is that how it works?

As long as the diaphragm is getting tank pressure through one of the
big holes, it will shut off.

There may be a smaller fitting on the bottom for an unloader valve,
usually a schrader valve that opens when the pressure switch turns
off, with a small fitting for 1/8" copper or nylon tubing. You
connect that to a tee fitting on the compressor output line, before
the check valve going into the storage tank.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545