Nick Hull

Default "Machining" CD surface?

In article ,
Derek wrote:

Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

In WalMart they sell the tool to do the job, it laps the surface
RADIALLY using water to wet the surface and works very well. Ask any
kid near the CD games section and you will learn everything!

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Siggy

Definitely DON'T put it in the lathe. Any polishing needs to be done
radially, not along the circular data path of the CD. I think you can buy
polishing devices at most stores that sell CDs. Even Best Buy and places
like that carry them and they work quite well as long as the scratch isn't
real deep.

Robert

"Derek" wrote in message
Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

I'm a novice, so advice on chuck speed and tool shape would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Swinney

You're probably not taking a deep enough cut in the CD surface. You have to
get below the "data" level which is about 1/16" deep. Be sure and use a
very sharp tool.

Bob Swinney
"Derek" wrote in message
Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

I'm a novice, so advice on chuck speed and tool shape would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle P

try toothpaste. Much simpler.
Michelle

Derek wrote:

Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

I'm a novice, so advice on chuck speed and tool shape would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Tom Gardner

Just take out your pristine back-up CD and make a new copy. Oh, you forgot
to make a back-up? Bet you won't do THAT again! (Do as I say, not as I
do.) Actually, I DO have ISO's of everything important.

"Derek" wrote in message
Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

I'm a novice, so advice on chuck speed and tool shape would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:13:13 +0000, Peter Fairbrother
wrote:

Derek wrote:

Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

I'm a novice, so advice on chuck speed and tool shape would be
appreciated.

I don't think that would work. And flame polishing doesn't work, I've tried
that.

I thought of using cerium oxide to polish the surface, but I haven't tried
it. People use it to polish glass lenses and telescope mirrors.

I have made the kids' PS2 disks playable by polishing them with toothpaste,
and I'm told some metal polishes work too. You don't need to actually remove
the scratches, just smooth the edges of any scratches that run parallel to
the track.

You can only do this a little bit though, if you polish too much with
toothpaste you will make the CD surface white rather than clear, and it
won't play any more.

Btw, on CD's the track starts in the middle and works outwards. You probably
knew that.

Cerium oxide _might_ work. I use it to polish rocks and it definitely
leaves a high-quality surface. However I can forsee a couple of
problems. For one, cerium oxide is just about useless for getting out
visible scratches because it is too fine an abrasive. You've got to
work up to it through successively finer grades of abrasive. The other
problem, paradoxically, is that it might be too aggressive for the
plastic of the CD.

What the heck. Drag out one of your AOL coasters and try it on a flat
lap.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Bob May

The data surface is actually on the top of the CD. The label is what is
protecting the actual data from your fingers and so forth.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

R. Wink

I built a machine, in the '80's to make CD's. In that machine, the CD blank was spun slowly while a plastic coating was
applied. The disk was then spun up @ about 6K RPM and back down in a second or two. The plastic material was slung across
the face of the disk and smoothed the surface out. It was called a "dust defocusing layer" and was to move any dust of
finger prints "up" out of the focus of the reading laser.
All the kits do is polish the surface of this coating until it's gone. The whole point is to fill any gouges or scratches
with a clear material so that the laser can read through the layer. A clear car wax or something like Future polish will do
wonder with a scratched CD as long as the scratch isn't to deep.
If you insist on using a lathe, mount the disk using the center hole, put some liquid polish around the center and start and
stop the lathe. But mind you, the lathe needs to be sitting on end so the disk is deed level.
R. Wink

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:27:05 -0800, Derek wrote:

Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

I'm a novice, so advice on chuck speed and tool shape would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brian in Hampton

GO TO A VIDEO STORE AND HAVE THEM POLISH THEM FOR ABOUT $3.00

Tony

I've removed some extensive scratches from CD's.. I learned how to do this
after my JVC cd changer ate my cd's and JVC refused to warranty their
changer or the damage their lousy changer caused.

I took my electric buffer that I use to compound my car, and used some
Liquid Ebony polish/compound and buffed the CD's. What I did was to place
the buffer upside down on the workbench, and hold the CD against the wheel.
Takes out even deep scratches in the plastic. Low wheel speeds are
important. One caveat, I lost my grip on one cd and it flew across the room
and shattered. But out of 12 CD's I salvaged 11, so I consider it a success.

Tony

"Derek" wrote in message
Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

I'm a novice, so advice on chuck speed and tool shape would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gerald Miller

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:01:11 GMT, "Tony"
wrote:

I took my electric buffer that I use to compound my car, and used some
Liquid Ebony polish/compound and buffed the CD's. What I did was to place
the buffer upside down on the workbench, and hold the CD against the wheel.
Takes out even deep scratches in the plastic. Low wheel speeds are
important. One caveat, I lost my grip on one cd and it flew across the room
and shattered. But out of 12 CD's I salvaged 11, so I consider it a success.

New sport! CD sailing. Where can I get more AOL missiles.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Al Dykes

In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
Derek wrote:

Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

In WalMart they sell the tool to do the job, it laps the surface
RADIALLY using water to wet the surface and works very well. Ask any
kid near the CD games section and you will learn everything!

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

A CD-cleaner worked, at least for me. First, it should mentioned that
the label-side of a CD is muct closer to the data than the shiny side.
Damage to the label side is unrepairable.

In my case a mechanical failure in the CD player gouged a cut that
looked like a circular Grand Canyon on a software CD that would have
cost real bucks to replace. In a "what can you loose" mood bought
one of these kits and, with lots of elbow grease, polished the groove
out completely. The disk is 100% readable now.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
----
Ken Davey

Al Dykes wrote:
In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
Derek wrote:

[...]

Damage to the label side (where the label is scratched or worn off - and now
too deeply) can be fixed by applying a marking pen (white would be the
preferred color but anything seems to work). I have rescued quite a few CDs
this way. Hint; Don't put your CSs in the car and drive through an Arizona
sandstorm.
Regards.
Ken.

In my case a mechanical failure in the CD player gouged a cut that
looked like a circular Grand Canyon on a software CD that would have
cost real bucks to replace. In a "what can you loose" mood bought
one of these kits and, with lots of elbow grease, polished the groove
out completely. The disk is 100% readable now.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Ken Davey

Ken Davey wrote:
Al Dykes wrote:
In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
Derek wrote:

[...]

and now **not** too deeply) can be fixed by applying a marking pen (white
would be the preferred color but anything seems to work). I have
rescued quite a few CDs this way. Hint; Don't put your CSs **CDs** in the
car
and drive through an Arizona sandstorm.
Regards.
Ken.

Damn typos!

In my case a mechanical failure in the CD player gouged a cut that
looked like a circular Grand Canyon on a software CD that would have
cost real bucks to replace. In a "what can you loose" mood bought
one of these kits and, with lots of elbow grease, polished the groove
out completely. The disk is 100% readable now.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Jon Grimm

I had a micro finish kit for repaiting acrylic windows.
We had a lathe guard made from a helicopter windsheild, and I was always
able to repait even deep gouges with that