John Lovallo

Default Cutting Stainless Steel

I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting
furnace. Can stainless be cut using
oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?

Thanks, John Lovallo

Ian Stirling

John Lovallo wrote:
I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting
furnace. Can stainless be cut using
oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?

It can, yes.
Not as easily as most steels, but it'll cut.
Bruce Johnstone

Try using a plasma cutter, works great on stainless. Oxy-acetylene will make
a mess.
--
Bruce Johnstone

Email:

Web Site:
http://home.comcast.net/~bruce.johnstone

David Billington

If you can use plasma. OA doesn't really work well for SS. Unlike carbon
steel where OA works well, OA on SS is more of a melt it and blow it
away process. It doesn't give good results.

John Lovallo wrote:

I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting
furnace. Can stainless be cut using
oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?

Thanks, John Lovallo

Ken Davey

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
John Lovallo wrote:
I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting
furnace. Can stainless be cut using
oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?

It can, yes.
Not as easily as most steels, but it'll cut.

Save yourself some grief and cut it with an abrasive disk.
Regards.
Ken.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"John Lovallo" wrote in message
I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting
furnace. Can stainless be cut using
oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?

Thanks, John Lovallo

No, not successfully, anyway. You can melt it away, but that's pretty ugly.
I'll leave the suggestions as to how for those that know so much more than I
do.

Harold

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:

"John Lovallo" wrote in message
I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting
furnace. Can stainless be cut using
oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?

Thanks, John Lovallo

No, not successfully, anyway. You can melt it away, but that's pretty ugly.
I'll leave the suggestions as to how for those that know so much more than I
do.

I had to cut a SS tank once where other methods wouldn't work. Oxy-Ace
worked, melted an ugly hole the right size which I refinished with epoxy.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

"jW" == jerry Wass writes:

jW Lay a heavy bead of regular steel welding rod where you want the cut---Then
jW cut
jW through that & the S.S. below goes with it---of course, a plasma cutter is
jW the easiest, but lacking that --this is not too messy .. & you can get an
jW ole rock from the creek bed, and rub on the edge 'till it gets smooth..

jW John Lovallo wrote:

I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting
furnace. Can stainless be cut using
oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?

Thanks, John Lovallo

A cheap, big, import angle grinder with a cutting disc? I recently cut a
number of 40mm (mild steel) bars with one of these with no sweat. A
stainless tank should be easy.

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.