Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need perfect radius

Greetings.

I am making a lamp for my living room. I will use a 45 pound plate for the base and some 1/2" rebar for the lamp itself. Base will be on one wall and light bulb will be about 7' away. I need to bend an 11' piece of rebar into a perfect arc. It would be 180 degrees of a circle. I am thinking to make a fixture out of plywood. Fixture would be similar to what an electrician would use to bend conduit. I don't intend on heating rebar. Just bend on fixture. Other way would be to create a fixture using a complete sheet of plywood. I think that is overkill.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greetings.

I am making a lamp for my living room. I will use a 45 pound plate for the
base and some 1/2" rebar for the lamp itself. Base will be on one wall and
light bulb will be about 7' away. I need to bend an 11' piece of rebar
into a perfect arc. It would be 180 degrees of a circle. I am thinking to
make a fixture out of plywood. Fixture would be similar to what an
electrician would use to bend conduit. I don't intend on heating rebar.
Just bend on fixture. Other way would be to create a fixture using a
complete sheet of plywood. I think that is overkill.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Bob

Decades ago as a teen I helped my Dad build a greenhouse from 20 foot 1/2"
rebar bent into similar shapes. We had a straight section, then 180 deg
bend with 4 foot radius, then final straight section. Stood 5 of them up in
an 8x12 foot concrete slab and welded up a rebar center main beam and
stringers to brace it up. Dad did the layout and fine bending, I did the
welding with an old stick machine. Cranky neighbor came over and said that
the first wind would blow it down so I jumped off the ladder and did a
couple of chin-ups for him and he went away looking even more sour (Dad hid
his grin but I saw it :-)). It's survived about 6 or 7 hurricanes so far
including Frederic and Katrina and the edge of Maria :-). Anyway, we drew
the shape with chalk on the concrete patio using a string as a compass to
draw the semicircle, and did the bending over the 2 or 3 foot diameter
center section of a large cable spool we used as a patio table. Use a piece
of rebar a few feet longer than you want so you can cut off the ends where
the curve won't be perfect. Bend a bit, check against the chalk template,
rinse and repeat. Bend in small well separated steps, make sure you don't
get any twisting, and you should be fine.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 10:10:17 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Greetings.

I am making a lamp for my living room. I will use a 45 pound plate for the base and some 1/2" rebar for the lamp itself. Base will be on one wall and light bulb will be about 7' away. I need to bend an 11' piece of rebar into a perfect arc. It would be 180 degrees of a circle. I am thinking to make a fixture out of plywood. Fixture would be similar to what an electrician would use to bend conduit. I don't intend on heating rebar. Just bend on fixture. Other way would be to create a fixture using a complete sheet of plywood. I think that is overkill.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Bob

Thank you Carl. My friend has some of the large spools you mention. I think that may be best way to go. If this prototype works well I will make 18 of them using a 20' length for my driveway. Did your greenhouse produce food for your family?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

No, the greenhouse gave my Mom someplace besides the den to put all 50-100
of her potted flowers when a freeze was forecast. Dad and I felt all the
construction labor was well worth it so we only had to bring the plants in
once a winter instead of each time it got cold, then put them back out so we
could use the den :-). One or two 100 watt light bulbs gave plenty of heat
to keep the plants happy at night.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 17:58:58 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 07:10:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Greetings.

I am making a lamp for my living room. I will use a 45 pound plate for the base and some 1/2" rebar for the lamp itself. Base will be on one wall and light bulb will be about 7' away. I need to bend an 11' piece of rebar into a perfect arc. It would be 180 degrees of a circle. I am thinking to make a fixture out of plywood. Fixture would be similar to what an electrician would use to bend conduit. I don't intend on heating rebar. Just bend on fixture. Other way would be to create a fixture using a complete sheet of plywood. I think that is overkill.

Any thoughts?

Unless you use Carl's suggested method, you'll need one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXWzIgfTuuQ

Just remember..there is a **** ton of rebar out there that will snap
in half if you look at it funny. A lot of rebar is Asian..and they
make it using every bit of scrap that they can find. If it happens to
have been poured from a melted own pile of cast iron...you are
screwed.

The only reason I mentioned this..a buddy was pouring a slab around
his pool and we were forming and rebarring it..and it kept snapping in
half every time we tried to bend it (with a rigid conduit bender)

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 6:59:54 PM UTC-5, Bob LaFrance wrote:
[...]

If you really want to do it yourself, more power to you. If it was me, I'd take the rebar to a fab shop that does pipe and tube bending. They'd put it on a Buffalo or a modern equivalent, and you'd walk out with 18 pieces of nicely bent rebar in less than an hour -- probably much less. The cost probably would be about the same as a couple of sheets of thick plywood you'd use for bending forms, based on shop charges I heard while writing an article about Buffalos, four years ago.

Here's the process I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crt44pJcKLQ

That's a heavy piece of angle, but they change rollers to handle small pipe, tube, and barstock -- including rebar.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I will keep that in mind when I decide what I am going to hang from the rebar in my driveway - something very light and small, I expect these things will dance a little with a breeze so I wouldn't want to hang a sail at the end. I will put motion detectors on each lamp so should be cool driving up the driveway. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 11:13:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I think that is a very good idea. This project is down the road a ways but I will remember the good advice I got here from everybody. Thank you all.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not only rebar is junk steel containing anything but Cast Iron flanges
are the same.
I tried to weld some big box 1" iron pipe wall flanges for a lady
customer. She bought cheap. They melted like butter. A little heat a
major slump.

I went to my local hardware store and he had made in America flanges.
They welded nicely.
Oh yes - I was using a black stick with nickel in it. That works nicely
on cast iron.

Got the job done.

When plasma cnc cutting sheet steel from overseas rolling mill, it had
ball bearings and races in it. I'd cut nicely down a line then the
steel took a lot more heat to cut but the CNC
didn't know and stops cutting until it hits nice metal. Constant
re-starts until it was good.
I told my vendor and he changed suppliers. Most of his customers used
oxy torches and
never mentioned it.

Rebar has dozens of numbers - salt water protected, epoxy coated,
Certain types of steel.

Martin