Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Basic CNC router recomendations.

I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

This is in the notion of possibly becoming an idea for a concept
stage. And yes, I truly am "asking for a friend."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 9:15:14 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

This is in the notion of possibly becoming an idea for a concept
stage. And yes, I truly am "asking for a friend."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged
boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

If you're just facing slabs, why CNC? Woodworking magazines have, in the past, published plans for a big 2-axis slide table that was just a couple of pairs of round guideways and bearings for the router, which is moved around the surface by hand.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:16:14 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

This is in the notion of possibly becoming an idea for a concept
stage. And yes, I truly am "asking for a friend."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged
boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grizzly-H293...-/252813658872

Plus this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-3-1-4...-/331875841348

Hummm...the big question is...how big a slab are you going to be
working? The Makita above will get you cleaned up pretty well, no
matter the size..but it will still need sanding, at least on one side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whitney-S-37...-/252479367408

plus a double drum belt sander as the first one. Just to show you
some examples. Getting similar machines much much cheaper is easily
done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-planer/251825759889

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 22:20:10 -0700
wrote:

[...]

As I said, friend makes "custom" tables, usually out of wood
slabs, so the entire thing is often in one piece. I've not been out
to his place, but I am assuming 4 feet by 8 feet for a working
envelope. This is Plan B - I'm thinking I might be able to accomplish
what he needs just with a smoother or joint plane.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

Some day, I'll take the time to read the question first. g

The best bet is to make a drum sander. Dunno 'bout CNC for that.
Djoutube is your friend.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=drum+sander

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh, a bit larger than I expected. Now I see why you were thinking
CNC. Yes, a CNC router could get it close and a dual-action (orbital
sander) could take it the rest of the way, or a Satanley + DA.

This is Plan B - I'm thinking I might be able to accomplish
what he needs just with a smoother or joint plane.

Odeen would tell him to get a #7 or #8, he would.
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm
That and a hovercraft to hold him while he planes. Bwahahahaha!

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
--Paul Newman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Wed, 12 Apr 2017
20:23:36 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

Some day, I'll take the time to read the question first. g

The best bet is to make a drum sander. Dunno 'bout CNC for that.
Djoutube is your friend.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=drum+sander.

Thanks.

I'm going to talk with him about CNC and a router rig.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

This is in the notion of possibly becoming an idea for a concept
stage. And yes, I truly am "asking for a friend."

I have a friend who built from scratch a 10' X 10' router that he used
to route sign faces. Send me an email address and I'll put you two
together.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

Some day, I'll take the time to read the question first. g

The best bet is to make a drum sander. Dunno 'bout CNC for that.
Djoutube is your friend.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=drum+sander.

Thanks.

I'm going to talk with him about CNC and a router rig.

CNC is probably not necessary , except in a very basic sense . Move router
to limit switch in Y , which trips the X axis to move a preset distance and
send router back , where it trips a limit on the other end . Biggest
problems I see is overall levelling of the whole assembly and keeping the
router in tram - you'll want to use at least a 3" or bigger flycutter type
cutter . The big CNC router systems in use in cabinet shops can shave a 4' x
10' piece to within a few thousandths .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" on Fri, 14 Apr 2017 21:32:33 -0500
wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

Some day, I'll take the time to read the question first. g

The best bet is to make a drum sander. Dunno 'bout CNC for that.
Djoutube is your friend.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=drum+sander.

Thanks.

I'm going to talk with him about CNC and a router rig.

CNC is probably not necessary , except in a very basic sense .

I'm thinking along those lines. Simple XY functionality, Z can be
added later if necessary. (Yes, I am aware of the "How often do you
use it now?" issue vs "If I had it, I'd use it more.")

Move router
to limit switch in Y , which trips the X axis to move a preset distance and
send router back , where it trips a limit on the other end . Biggest
problems I see is overall levelling of the whole assembly

I see an issue in making sure the slab and the router path are
kept parallel for some value of parallel.
and keeping the router in tram - you'll want to use at least a 3" or bigger flycutter type

Which leads up to the next question - where do I get one - router
and cutter? I ask rhetorically - when I need one, I'll find one.
First I have to convince Raabobo that they need this.

cutter . The big CNC router systems in use in cabinet shops can shave a 4' x
10' piece to within a few thousandths .

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Here's an ebay auction for an insert type cutter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amana-Tool-R...-/322260712157 .
These are usually used to clean up the spoil board that goes between the
vacuum table and the workpiece .

Routers with 1/2" collets are pretty common , if not cheap . I like
Porter-Cable , last I used that kind of stuff they were pretty good - 2 hp
minimum . A 3 point support under the slabs can be adjusted to get close to
parallel , all those big routers have adjustment in Y so you can make a
slab flat in steps .
--
Snag

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I picked up a soft-start Hitachi M12VC 2.25hp woodworking router ($122
Amazon) and a set of Soigeneris precision collets ($80) for it.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
Junior Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bluessteelplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyotr filipivich View Post
I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

This is in the notion of possibly becoming an idea for a concept
stage. And yes, I truly am "asking for a friend."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged
boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

you are awsome,good luck for you.i am sure you can find the one.
i am stanger of CNC so can offer less help.
best wishes,again.

may need steel alloy steel plate, shipbuilding steel plate,Boiler steel plate