Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical slip ring questions

Neon John wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 09:11:45 -0700, wrote:
On 12 Apr 2017 04:01:56 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

I thought about that but dismissed it because I really don't know how
I would go about doing it.

You should dismiss it because it is complication you don't need. My
contact in Ford Engineering

That might be the Detroit area. I drove a truck or two there a few times.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 20:29:20 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 21:58:53 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 21:33:27 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:18:16 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 13:46:24 -0700,
wrote:

I'm sue someone here can help. I need to get power to a solenoid
operated valve spinning at 5000 RPM. Low power, 24 volts at 5 watts.
The power will be on for about 4 seconds and off for 7 seconds. This
on/off cycle will be going on 10 hours a day. I ahve looked at slip
rings online but the high speed through hole type are really spendy.
Then I got to thinking about the slip rings in alternator. They
certainly can carry enough current but I don't know how fast
alternators typically spin. I do have an old alternator that would
make a good slip ring donor. Anybody know or have a better idea? I
need about 1 inch through the slip rings.
Thanks,
Eric

How about a timer made from a 555?

The question wasn't how to make the pulse Gunner - but how to
trasnmit the power pulses to a spinning shaft.

Simply use an encoder. to trigger your timer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incremental-...-/171947459869

How does he get the power to the spinning part???

Evidently Im missing some portion of the request. What exactly is he
trying to accomplish with a collet closer etc etc.

Air collet closers have a definate "lead time". They take time to
pressure up enough to move, then the air must be maintained while the
other side is opened to atmosphere and vented.... and then released
and vented while the opposite side must be pressured up and
maintained, etc etc. "lead time" is measured in fractions of a
second..small fractions. If he has to have even faster
response..hydraulic operation will be required. Electrical would be
fastest..shrug..but Im not going there...brrrrrr.

I dont quite understand what the slip rings are doing. If he is simply
trying to get a signal of some sort..say RPM out of the spinning
spindle...that simple encoder will give him proper A+ B+ electrical
signals. Couple the encoder to the spindle with a matched set of
identical diameter pulleys and a toothed belt.

http://www.omniturn.com/bin/RepairPa...components.htm

Obviously anyone with a brain can purchase these items for 1/3-1/4 of
the price of the above items, I simply gave that link for the photos.

As I do CNC lathe repair/building/maint... Im somewhat experienced in
the topic. Im just not understanding what it is that he is trying to
do.

I do have a few extra spindle mounted collet closers (air powered) Id
be willing to donate (1) to the cause, simply for shipping. I think
that I may also have at least (1) Royal and (1) Microcentric collet
closer collecting dust back there as well as Dunhams.

"powered" collet closers on lathes have been around for a very long
time, be they manual or CNC or even NC.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eric - I took a look at Parker Seals' "O-ring Handbook". It now has a spot
on the book shelf, so to speak.
There was mention of a rotary speed limit of 1500 feet per minute, but
that was in a section about "hydraluics".

Hul

wrote:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 06:42:48 +0000 (UTC), Hul Tytus
wrote:

Eric - do you remember what rubber compound was used on the gun drill?

Hul

SNIP
No. It was a long time ago. The rubber was not exotic though. I just
looked for rubber compounds that could handle the temperature and oil
composition. It mighta been EPDM. I don't think it was BUNA-N.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It was my understanding he has a solenoid valve in the shaft to
contol the air. Energized it puts air to the cyl to close the collet
chich, de-enrergised it puts air to the release cyl and vents the
close cyl. He needs to get the electical signal to the spinning
solenois - and the SIMPLEST way is to use a set of slip-rings to feed
the electrical signal into the 5000 RPM spinning collet eaaembly.

http://www.omniturn.com/bin/RepairPa...components.htm

Obviously anyone with a brain can purchase these items for 1/3-1/4 of
the price of the above items, I simply gave that link for the photos.

As I do CNC lathe repair/building/maint... Im somewhat experienced in
the topic. Im just not understanding what it is that he is trying to
do.

I do have a few extra spindle mounted collet closers (air powered) Id
be willing to donate (1) to the cause, simply for shipping. I think
that I may also have at least (1) Royal and (1) Microcentric collet
closer collecting dust back there as well as Dunhams.

"powered" collet closers on lathes have been around for a very long
time, be they manual or CNC or even NC.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 20:37:30 +0000 (UTC), Hul Tytus
wrote:

Eric - I took a look at Parker Seals' "O-ring Handbook". It now has a spot
on the book shelf, so to speak.
There was mention of a rotary speed limit of 1500 feet per minute, but
that was in a section about "hydraluics".

Hul

Well, the sealing diameter was about 2 inches, as I recall. So that
would be about 3000 RPM at 1500 FPM. I don't remember where in the
Parker book the information was that I used to design the rotary
union. But bit in there and the whole thing was pretty easy. Parker
had already done all the heavy lifting, so to speak.
Eric