Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wowsers! Fast harvesting head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

It is fascinating, but I wonder, why would they need to cut trees that
are so young.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

It is fascinating, but I wonder, why would they need to cut trees that
are so young.

Notice that they're thinning that stand, cutting the pulpwood (6" - 9" diameter) and leaving some larger pieces for timber (or "chip-n-saw"). That rig is for high-efficiency cutting of pulpwood, which is a low-margin product and has to be harvested efficiently to make a buck.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

It is fascinating, but I wonder, why would they need to cut trees that
are so young.

Notice that they're thinning that stand, cutting the pulpwood (6" -
9" diameter) and leaving some larger pieces for timber (or
"chip-n-saw"). That rig is for high-efficiency cutting of pulpwood,
which is a low-margin product and has to be harvested efficiently to
make a buck.

Thanks, I did not know, makes sense

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

It is fascinating, but I wonder, why would they need to cut trees that
are so young.

Notice that they're thinning that stand, cutting the pulpwood (6" - 9"
diameter) and leaving some larger pieces for timber (or "chip-n-saw").
That rig is for high-efficiency cutting of pulpwood, which is a
low-margin product and has to be harvested efficiently to make a buck.

How low of a margin? I know that there are places where they're growing
trees specifically for pulp -- they let the stand get up to about 6"
diameter, mow it down, then repeat.

I know it's done in Oregon, and IIRC in places in the Southeast.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

There are pulpwood "farms" in the Southeast and in New England, where they clear-cut pulpwood. And then there are a lot of conventional logging operations, where they keep thinning out the pulpwood and let the lumber trees grow.

I don't know enough about the business in general to tell you where, or just how much they can make from pulpwood. My exposure to it was from a couple of companies who make the machinery. I had to do some background research and that's all I learned about it.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

It is fascinating, but I wonder, why would they need to cut trees that
are so young.

Notice that they're thinning that stand, cutting the pulpwood (6" -
9" diameter) and leaving some larger pieces for timber (or
"chip-n-saw"). That rig is for high-efficiency cutting of pulpwood,
which is a low-margin product and has to be harvested efficiently to
make a buck.

Thanks, I did not know, makes sense

They make bigger ones for harvesting lumber logs, but when the trees get really big, the cutting is done by hand and they skid the logs out of the timber stand.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I do know that the pulpwood patches I've seen were on dead-flat patches
amidst hay fields -- so, presumably, it's land that can't be more
profitably put to raising lettuce or radishes or onions or whatever makes
more $$ than hay.

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

The clearcut areas I saw when living in northern MN 30 years ago
weren't flat; mostly there were lots of small hills or mounds, a
consequence of glaciation in several ice ages. Some of that land
was farmed by early-1900's Swedish and Norwegian immigrants. But
with topsoil only a foot thick (it comes back about an inch per
millennium after the glaciers scrape it off) the farms couldn't
last, and went back to forest - birch, balsam, aspen, jackpine.

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

It is fascinating, but I wonder, why would they need to cut trees that
are so young.

I was thinking this is a real fancy machine for making fence posts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 14:01:10 -0500, Ignoramus14657

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MR...ature=youtu.be

fascinating!

It is fascinating, but I wonder, why would they need to cut trees that
are so young.

Being a tree farmer...

Straight and small diameter and most importantly the length tells me
they're destined to be turned millwork. This is about a 20 year
harvest.

The next step up is for power poles. That's what I'm growing right
now since this will probably be the last harvest of my lifetime. Poles
take about 30 years. The grain has to be fine and straight so we
don't use the fancy genetically engineered trees that can put on a
quarter inch of diameter in a year.

The largest trees are, of course, timber trees.

There is a GMO tree designed to reach about 14" in diameter in about
10 years. They do not grow straight and have huge grain so they're
used for pulpwood.

I also own a hardwood stand. It's older than I am. Average diameter
is about 2.5 ft - perfect for harvesting. It's funny to see where
fence runs were attached to the trees - 30 feet in the air. It abuts
the right of way of a new freeway exit so after I'm offered an
outlandish sum for the land, I'll harvest the trees just before the
land sale.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I don't know enough about the business in general to tell you where, or
just how much they can make from pulpwood. My exposure to it was from a
couple of companies who make the machinery. I had to do some background
research and that's all I learned about it.

I do know that the pulpwood patches I've seen were on dead-flat patches
amidst hay fields -- so, presumably, it's land that can't be more
profitably put to raising lettuce or radishes or onions or whatever makes
more $$ than hay.

Tree farming is quite profitable, especially considering that you do
practically nothing for 20-30 years. I last harvested my pine stand a
bit over 20 years ago when I bought the land. Since then all I've
done is have the land walked every few years by an expert looking for
disease, parasites such as the Southern Pine Bore and so on.

My land is dead flat so if I wanted to be a real farmer, I'd have the
land planted in some sort of food crop. But that requires dedication
and a lot of work. I'd much rather engineer and simply get a check
every 20 years or so for doing nothing.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

? I've got a stand of old hardwoods and a couple with fence wire embedded. I've never seen this.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/forsite/howdoes.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2017-04-09, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

The article says that the trees dont grow "up"..IE the section of the
tree at ground level stays at ground level.

Which appears to be somewhat..wrong.

http://komonews.com/news/local/vasho...ed-in-the-tree

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rees-them.html

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/bicycle.asp

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/11/2017 9:44 AM, Garrett Fulton wrote:

? I've got a stand of old hardwoods and a couple with fence wire
embedded. I've never seen this.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/forsite/howdoes.htm

And won't...must've been Paul Bunyon's cow herd that were being fenced in...

log harvesting from lake bottoms Electric Comet Woodworking 142 June 4th 16 06:44 PM
rainwater harvesting and pumping Stephen[_6_] UK diy 21 October 9th 09 05:30 PM
Iron Harvesting..... Gunner Asch[_4_] Metalworking 20 April 10th 09 12:02 AM
rainwater harvesting dave UK diy 0 February 14th 07 08:58 PM
rainwater harvesting dave UK diy 12 January 18th 07 09:43 PM