Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unk Unk is offline

Default want threadlocker with coulour-change if broken

I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned - does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:34:05 +0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned - does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?

Fingernail polish works nicely as both a thread locker that will allow
the screw to be removed easily without extra effort, and it will show
if the screw has been removed or moved.

Works better than "locktite" for gun applications. And you can get it
cheap from the missus or the discount store.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:34:05 +0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned -
does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?

Fingernail polish works nicely as both a thread locker that will
allow
the screw to be removed easily without extra effort, and it will
show
if the screw has been removed or moved.

Works better than "locktite" for gun applications. And you can get
it
cheap from the missus or the discount store.

Have a good story ready for why you need it. I've found it in all the
electrical coding colors, some of which would be really weird on
fingernails.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:05:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:34:05 +0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned -
does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?

Fingernail polish works nicely as both a thread locker that will
allow
the screw to be removed easily without extra effort, and it will
show
if the screw has been removed or moved.

Works better than "locktite" for gun applications. And you can get
it
cheap from the missus or the discount store.

Have a good story ready for why you need it. I've found it in all the
electrical coding colors, some of which would be really weird on
fingernails.
-jsw

I go in, pick out the colors I want...sashay up to the counter, pull
my money out of my purse and go on my way.

(Grin)

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

But you are in California.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-06, unk wrote:
I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned - does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?

A dot of fingernail polish on one side of the head and the
surrounding workpiece. No strength, but a clear indication if it has
turned.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 6:34:08 AM UTC-7, unk wrote:
I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned - does
that exist?

A broken lockwire is a good indicator. So are the flags that get
applied on safety-critical fasteners

http://www.imiproducts.com/products/checkpoint/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 08:59:44 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 13:34:05 +0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned - does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?

Fingernail polish works nicely as both a thread locker that will allow
the screw to be removed easily without extra effort, and it will show
if the screw has been removed or moved.

Works better than "locktite" for gun applications.

I marked the caliper box to prevent storing it upside down and letting
the batteries fall out and short against the case. I set the case
down once and saw a tiny puff of smoke. Whoa! When I popped it open,
I found the battery trying to arc weld the case of my new digital
calipers. A dot on the top cover reminds me to store it upright.

And you can get it cheap from the missus or the discount store.

I have pink metalflake and clear from Dollar Tree. I put it on a
screw to remind myself that I've had the lid off that particular piece
of equipment.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, ROYGBIV works, but BBROYGBVGW would be weird on lady's
fingernails. (Right, Violet?)

Ooh, windy rain is now pouring down here. Possible thunderstorm
tonight. Get ready, all you downwinders. Judging by the national
weather radar on www.wunderground.com , you may already have your
antenna down.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unk Unk is offline

On 2017-04-06, unk wrote:
I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned - does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?

A dot of fingernail polish on one side of the head and the
surrounding workpiece. No strength, but a clear indication if it has
turned.

Enjoy,
DoN.

The problem is I can only see (easily) the threaded end of the fastener,
and it's part-way down the through hole. The hole is stepped - larger at
the eld I can see, but the screw does do project into the larger section.

I want to put a drop in the well, and be able to look later to see if the
screw has turned, so it has to stick to the screw and the hole and change
colour if it's been broken.

Time for some experimentation...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My bottle of Grey nail polish broke when I tried to open it to mark
the Maytag timer, and finding a nonmetallic replacement was difficult.

Weather radar showed the intense squall line that passed through NY
and CT breaking up before hitting us. I didn't hear a single thunder
boom.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

On 2017-04-06, unk wrote:
[...]

It wouldn't be that hard to do but I haven't seen a commercial
product. Look into microencapsulation.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Used it a lot when I did electronics repairs. I used a real ugly green.
Made it easy to tell if I had worked on an item before and if the part
had been touched by someone else.

For the OP, I've not seen a single coating that changes that way, BUT if
you put a small dot of the paint at the junction of screw/part. it would
show up if the screw was moved because the coating would be broken and
shifted.
Another option would be a simple index mark, like using a sharp scribe
across the end of the screw and up the interior of the hole.
Misalignment means the screw has moved.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 07:26:47 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

news

On 2017-04-06, unk wrote:
[...]

Loctite 7414 tamper detection paste ?
http://tinyurl.com/m7le3vd

Dykem Cross Check - Torque Seal - Tamper Proof Indicator Paste?
https://www.applied.com/c-itw-dykem-83318/p/101406820
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
news
wrote:

[...]

https://www.google.com/search?q=tamp...en&gbv=2#spf=1

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

On 2017-04-06, unk wrote:
[...]

DIY high-security tamper seals:
http://www.patrol-log.com/2014/01/02...er-proof-seal/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

ICK! Having worked in a building owned by an ex-Navy man (gray
exterior with 1' band of maroon near the top, gray interior paint,
darker gray carpeting, gray benches, gray countertops) I got a bit
tired of that lovely, bright color and try not to purchase anything
gray to this day. My wool hiking socks are the exception. g
Whuffo you use gray nail polish? Wouldn't black be a better contrast
for a timer marking?, or were you remaining true to the original icky
color?

Weather radar showed the intense squall line that passed through NY
and CT breaking up before hitting us. I didn't hear a single thunder
boom.

Although I didn't hear any thunderstorm last night, I awoke this
morning to a repeated beeping in the other room. Looking at the
bedside clock, it was dark. The power just now came back on and the
heater feels good. 75,061 people lost power (for 3-4 hours) in Oregon
this morning due to many trees taking down power lines. They trim the
trees every year to prevent that. Go figure.

Coffee was made on a propane burner (first things first) and then I
settled back against the wedge on my bed to read by 48 LED panel from
a survival lantern I built. It has a 9w 3 LED spot in MR-16 body and
a 5Ah 12v gel cell.

139ma @ 12vdc http://tinyurl.com/muzjaqz I also used them to replace
my cargo lights over the truck bed, where they work well.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-06, unk wrote:
I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned - does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?

A dot of fingernail polish on one side of the head and the
surrounding workpiece. No strength, but a clear indication if it has
turned.

Enjoy,
DoN.

The problem is I can only see (easily) the threaded end of the fastener,
and it's part-way down the through hole. The hole is stepped - larger at
the eld I can see, but the screw does do project into the larger section.

I want to put a drop in the well, and be able to look later to see if the
screw has turned, so it has to stick to the screw and the hole and change
colour if it's been broken.

Time for some experimentation...

I like your idea. It would make for quick inspection of fasteners.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-04-06, unk wrote:
I would like to be able to tell by colour if a screw has turned - does
that exist?

Low-strength/removeable...

Maybe a kind of varnish?

A dot of fingernail polish on one side of the head and the
surrounding workpiece. No strength, but a clear indication if it has
turned.

Enjoy,
DoN.

The problem is I can only see (easily) the threaded end of the fastener,
and it's part-way down the through hole. The hole is stepped - larger at
the eld I can see, but the screw does do project into the larger section.

I want to put a drop in the well, and be able to look later to see if the
screw has turned, so it has to stick to the screw and the hole and change
colour if it's been broken.

Time for some experimentation...

Try a pinstriping brush or fine artist's paint brush. They're thin
and long. It that's still too large, dip a straightened paper clip
into the nail polish and poke that down the little hole to get to the
fastener.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My bottle of Grey nail polish broke when I tried to open it to mark
the Maytag timer, and finding a nonmetallic replacement was
difficult.

ICK! Having worked in a building owned by an ex-Navy man (gray
exterior with 1' band of maroon near the top, gray interior paint,
darker gray carpeting, gray benches, gray countertops) I got a bit
tired of that lovely, bright color and try not to purchase anything
gray to this day. My wool hiking socks are the exception. g
Whuffo you use gray nail polish? Wouldn't black be a better
contrast
for a timer marking?, or were you remaining true to the original
icky
color?

I was dabbing the color of the removed wires directly on the rivet of
the Faston tabs, since the wire number labels aren't all close to
their terminals.

The Navy must have unloaded their surplus grey paint on the Army after
retiring the battleships because it was our standard interior and
equipment color too.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news - hide quoted text -

On 2017-04-06, unk wrote:
[...]

A line from a file can give bolts and nuts alignment with one on the surface.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. wrote:

Loctite 7414 tamper detection paste ?
http://tinyurl.com/m7le3vd

What if the tamperer buys that stuff too?

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8 Apr 2017 05:50:33 GMT, (Volker Borchert)
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Loctite 7414 tamper detection paste ?
http://tinyurl.com/m7le3vd

What if the tamperer buys that stuff too?

I've been in the situation a couple of times in my life where
tampering and cover-up was likely. I used fingernail polish to which
I added a tiny amount of a specific mixture of radioactive elements.
Detecting a forgery is as simple as holding a sensitive Geiger counter
to the dot.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hence the purse! Camoflauge!!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

John B. wrote:

Loctite 7414 tamper detection paste ?
http://tinyurl.com/m7le3vd

What if the tamperer buys that stuff too?

I've been in the situation a couple of times in my life where
tampering and cover-up was likely. I used fingernail polish to which
I added a tiny amount of a specific mixture of radioactive elements.
Detecting a forgery is as simple as holding a sensitive Geiger counter
to the dot.

Nowadays one might use DNA "ink".

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9 Apr 2017 13:40:53 GMT, (Volker Borchert)
wrote:

Neon John wrote:
On 8 Apr 2017 05:50:33 GMT,
(Volker Borchert)
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Loctite 7414 tamper detection paste ?
http://tinyurl.com/m7le3vd

What if the tamperer buys that stuff too?

I've been in the situation a couple of times in my life where
tampering and cover-up was likely. I used fingernail polish to which
I added a tiny amount of a specific mixture of radioactive elements.
Detecting a forgery is as simple as holding a sensitive Geiger counter
to the dot.

Nowadays one might use DNA "ink".

A DNA analyzer is a tad bit more expensive than a Geiger counter with
a pancake probe and you're certainly not going to carry the analyzer
out into the field.

I mix my isotopes in a specific ratio so if an argument ever arose
about the authenticity of the radioactive dot, I simply analyze the
dot with my gamma spectrometer to look at the ratios and the relative
decays.

Another option that is becoming more and more practical is to mix a
specific ratio of elements, preferably metals, in the dot. Then use
one of the hand-held laser ablation atomic absorption spectrometers
that scrap metal dealers use to determine the composition of an
unknown alloy before bidding on it. Only problem is they cost about
$25k currently.

I have a friend who had a large scrap metal operation. He has a gun.
I can sometimes talk him into letting me shoot an unknown. He tends
to hover when I'm using it.

Like most discussions on Usenet, this one is getting rather esoteric.

If I had a serious tamper problem, I'd have a chemist friend supply me
with some photochromic paint he developed. It starts out bright
orange but rapidly turns brown. The authenticity proof is to break
the seal, preferably with a video camera looking on. The interior
will still be bright orange and will darken before your eyes. If the
tamperer has tried to hide his tampering with brown putty or paint,
it'll be brown even when first broken.