Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Torque wrench question...

A friend stopped by and had a question about torquing
a large nut left hand thread to 185 ft lbs. His wrench
only torques right hand threads. It's a clicker type.
I said I have one that'll do LH. He said no way, there
are no clickers available in LH. So I dug out mine and
showed him by clamping the square in the vice and
sure enough it'll do LH. He'll need an extension to do
the job so just use his 'upside down' on the extension.
That worked. Then the real question: can a clicker
that only torques RH be used to break loose a nut
without damage to the wrench? Like auto lug nuts for
instance. If the nut is too tight, can the one way
clicker be used to break it loose then re-torque?
These newer clickers ratchet both ways LH and RH
but only torque RH. My wrench is a 40+ year old
Craftsman clicker in good shape. I would never use
mine to break a nut loose. What do you think?
phil k.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 12:28:14 -0400, Phil Kangas wrote:

[...]

(A) I always assumed that all torque wrenches worked both ways

(B) I would never, ever, use a torque wrench to break a nut loose.

(C) A flex handle is way cheaper than a torque wrench, as is a piece of
pipe to make it longer than whatever torque wrench you have.

Just my opinions, not a professional mechanic here.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 12:24:35 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

I can't recall seeing one which didn't.

(B) I would never, ever, use a torque wrench to break a nut loose.

No, never.

(C) A flex handle is way cheaper than a torque wrench, as is a piece of
pipe to make it longer than whatever torque wrench you have.

Use a pipe only if you have a warranty on the wrench or ratchet.

Just my opinions, not a professional mechanic here.

I'll echo your sentiments, but I was trained as a mechanic.

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 12:28:14 -0400, Phil Kangas wrote:

(B) I would never, ever, use a torque wrench to break a nut loose.

No, never.

Just my opinions, not a professional mechanic here.

I'll echo your sentiments, but I was trained as a mechanic.

That one hardly needs _any_ "training", one would think...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

(B) I would never, ever, use a torque wrench to break a nut loose.

No, never.

Once:-( Beam type and it broke the spot welds holding the scale,
even lesser torque wrenches are not immune.
--
William

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 12:28:14 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

[...]

WHY would you use a precision tool to break loose a tight nut????
And any torque wrench I've used (been using them for 50 years) wwill
torque either direction.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I just grab the flex handle that I'm least attached to. Kinda the same
thing.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/2/2017 4:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Just my opinions, not a professional mechanic here.

I'll echo your sentiments, but I was trained as a mechanic.

--

A man of MANY talents!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

(A) I always assumed that all torque wrenches worked both
ways
--
Tim Wescott

For the record, I do have an 800 inch pound torque
wrench that is a clicker but doesn't ratchet or
reverse. Turning it RH clicks but LH is solid.
It is approved for USAF and USArmy, btw.
I'm tempted to try it removing a nut to see what
happens. A wrench that can remove a lug nut
and then torque it would be a huge time saver
when working on wheels. And no one has yet
invented one that'll do that? Food for thought.
And don't worry, I'm not going to try this one
on a lug nut guys....
phil k.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. Cheaper than going to a 3/4" drive breaker bar and adapter.
$1 at most testosterone-charged garage sales will get you a nice
breaker, but if not, they're only $10 at HF.

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 16:16:30 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 4/2/2017 4:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Just my opinions, not a professional mechanic here.

I'll echo your sentiments, but I was trained as a mechanic.

--

A man of MANY talents!

Damned tootin'. I learned to echo as a young boy.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 17:42:34 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

(A) I always assumed that all torque wrenches worked both
ways
--
Tim Wescott

For the record, I do have an 800 inch pound torque
wrench that is a clicker but doesn't ratchet or
reverse. Turning it RH clicks but LH is solid.
It is approved for USAF and USArmy, btw.
I'm tempted to try it removing a nut to see what
happens. A wrench that can remove a lug nut
and then torque it would be a huge time saver
when working on wheels. And no one has yet
invented one that'll do that? Food for thought.
And don't worry, I'm not going to try this one
on a lug nut guys....

Interestingly enough, my Bosch 1/4 hex drive impactor (18v lithium
cordless) can easily remove the lug nuts from my Tundra. The Milwaukee
will, too, I'm sure. Both are 1450ish inch pound rated.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

(A) I always assumed that all torque wrenches worked both
ways
--
Tim Wescott

For the record, I do have an 800 inch pound torque
wrench that is a clicker but doesn't ratchet or
reverse. Turning it RH clicks but LH is solid.
It is approved for USAF and USArmy, btw.
I'm tempted to try it removing a nut to see what
happens. A wrench that can remove a lug nut
and then torque it would be a huge time saver
when working on wheels. And no one has yet
invented one that'll do that? Food for thought.
And don't worry, I'm not going to try this one
on a lug nut guys....
phil k.

Any of mine WILL do that, but the calibration will suffer. If the
nuts are not stuck, no problem. If they are you get a shock loading on
the measuring device that isn't good for it.

When torquing wheel nuts I will sometimes back one off and retorque it
- all using the torque wrench. I won't use it to remove wheel nuts
that have been there for a season, or ones that were put on with a
"rattle wrench"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Be careful of the HF breaker bars. Ive busted (2) of them in the last
couple years. Both I think were flawed..as they broke very early on.
The replacements are still going strong.

Over torque them when you get them as a test, before needing one on a
cold raining Saturday evening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Same reason some people use a Starrett micrometer as a welding clamp.

And use a titanium pipe wrench as a hammer. It purely -sucks- to know
the type of person who does that, doesn't it? If you're like me, you
_used_ to loan out tools, only to have them come back damaged in
ungodly ways. The type of person who would leave tools out in the
rain and bring it back rusty, and when you griped at them for it, they
told you to clean the rust off yourself. The same guys would never
pay for damage, either. Get just 1 or 2 of those people and, from
then on, it's "What, you want to borrow a tool? Bwahahahahaha. NOT A
CHANCE!"

Of course, it can be fun to keep broken tools in stock to loan to
jerks like that. They'll be trying for half an hour before realizing
that it never worked in the first place. evil grinne

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I D 10 T syndrome???

??
Id say its Stupidity Syndrome.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Took me years and many many dollars to get to the point of
loaning busted or badly working tools to people. But I do. And I
have a lot of tools. However..its a significant number less than
what I purchased..because as you say..the *******s bust em. Or lose
em.

I loaned 200' of 3/8" chain, complete with hooks, in (4) 25' lenghts
and (2) 50' lenghts once, to the son of a friend of mine. He had
mired his truck out in the mudflats. When I asked him about bringing
my chains back, a week later...he blanched and told me he would bring
em over Saturday. He brought me about 75' of chain..in various
lengths and sizes..most without the hooks. He left em on the porch
without telling me he had been by. When I mentioned this to his
dad..poppa shrugged and blew it off. Next time either of them came by
to borrow something..I told em when I get my chains back, Id loan them
the XYZ they wanted to borrow. Both got ****ed. And I told em "tough
****". Spend the money yourself, or take care of what you borrow. We
dont talk much anymore. Shrug.

Now Im up to my ass in 5/16" chain..which I use for anchor rodes on
the sailboats. Got about 300' in various lengths. Aint loaning it
out to anyone.

Chainsaws, weed eaters, lawn mowers...not a ****ing chance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

AH!!! Thats pretty good!!

I was doing something else and only glanced at it.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:

A wrench that can remove a lug nut
and then torque it would be a huge time saver
when working on wheels.

If I had to do a lot of wheel work, I'd get a cordless impact driver,
at least for removal.

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert

Torque wrench question JoeSpareBedroom Home Repair 9 August 2nd 08 10:46 PM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 08:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 11:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 11:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 04:28 AM