Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rotary three phase converter motors.

When I was at the local scrap yard, _I saw some ( maybe 8 ) 10 hp three phase motors. It looked like some company had sent some spare parts to the scrap yard.

If anyone is interested I can get all the name plate data for you. This is in New Castle county, Delaware.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 06:22:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

When I was at the local scrap yard, _I saw some ( maybe 8 ) 10 hp three phase motors. It looked like some company had sent some spare parts to the scrap yard.

If anyone is interested I can get all the name plate data for you. This is in New Castle county, Delaware.

Dan

10 hp motors will cost more money to run than will a 5hp motor, no
matter the application.

Its been my experience that most..most home shops need no more than
5hp. I have a 5 hp myself, yet I run a 7.5hp lathe on it

Check the data plates for RPM. Every rpm will work..but 3600 rpm
motors are...LOUD..just because of the speed of the fan. For some
value of loud. 1725 or Less rpm make decent RPCs. A buddy has one of
the less common 1000 rpm motors..and you can barely hear it run.

Chinese motors work, though bearings may need replacing. Here in
California, used 3ph motors can be purchased for about $2.50-5 x HP
rating. Single phase motors are the expensive critters, as they have
more none industrial application.

Having a name brand 10hp motor is only part of the equation. The other
is having circuit breakers and service capacity to run one.

Someone here may well indeed need one and thanks for posting it for
the folks!

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I was in big industry we would import machines from Europe and they
would come and install them. The motors would be both 3 phase and 50
hz. Some would be not working in the speed needed when turned on so
some were replaced upon install. Others worked just fine. So brand new
motors were dumped into the scrap yard container. As we bought those,
one went to Japan and the motors had to be saved. They installed them
over there.

So some motors are new in the box without a box. Run only at QA overseas.

Martin

On 3/25/2017 8:22 AM, wrote:

When I was at the local scrap yard, _I saw some ( maybe 8 ) 10 hp three phase motors. It looked like some company had sent some spare parts to the scrap yard.

If anyone is interested I can get all the name plate data for you. This is in New Castle county, Delaware.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 03/26/2017 9:32 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
When I was in big industry we would import machines from Europe and they
would come and install them. The motors would be both 3 phase and 50 hz.
Some would be not working in the speed needed when turned on so
some were replaced upon install. ...

A bud returned from stint in Army in Germany with fancy new Dual
turntable and was _most_ sorely disappointed in its performance...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 3:01:02 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 03/26/2017 9:32 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
When I was in big industry we would import machines from Europe and they
would come and install them. The motors would be both 3 phase and 50 hz.

A bud returned from stint in Army in Germany with fancy new Dual
turntable and was _most_ sorely disappointed in its performance...

Yeah, but... at least the one I recall, there's a stepped shaft, you just
shift the idler to the 60 Hz step...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 03/27/2017 6:45 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 3:01:02 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 03/26/2017 9:32 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
When I was in big industry we would import machines from Europe and they
would come and install them. The motors would be both 3 phase and 50 hz.

A bud returned from stint in Army in Germany with fancy new Dual
turntable and was _most_ sorely disappointed in its performance...

Yeah, but... at least the one I recall, there's a stepped shaft, you just
shift the idler to the 60 Hz step...

These used a rubber driver wheel. The fix is swap out a US motor and
idler but they were almost as pricey as the whole turntable. The GI
that unloaded it to him talked him into it by claiming the fine tune
speed knob could compensate...