Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT My third electric bike

Took so long to make.

This might be the easiest to build electric bike there is,
versus power and reliability.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/

Front 18" wheel direct drive, using DeWalt's DCD961 brushless
drill.

The fork is standard, so it can be put on any small bicycle
frame. Functionally not much different than a hub motor, but
there are probably significant differences in performance
(what exactly, I do not know).

The speed switch is intact, so I can play around with that.
It is meant to be on the lowest speed setting, should be fast
enough.

This design has been tested, but the prior version was not
nearly as efficient. Then, it drove a chain that drove the
rear wheel. All that is unnecessary given a drift trike front
wheel with a pedal hub (without the pedals) and a low-geared
cordless drill at no more than about 450 RPM (no load).

The drill kit cost about $280. Depending on your application,
extra batteries might be required. The drift trike front
wheel (an adult "Big Wheel") costs about $150-$200. Seems
overpriced, but oh well. Difficult to find many replacement
parts for drift trikes. Seems they enjoy it in Australia. Mad
Max on a Big Wheel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh yeah, the (lack of) work involved...

Could not be easier. Use a rotary tool to slice off the end
of a 1/2 inch drive socket. Cut to wide pieces of aluminum
flat bar and drill holes through them. Stick them to the
bicycle fork.

Then just connect a speed controller from the bicycle's
handlebars to the drill trigger. A cheap Shimano Revo shifter
works great for throttle control, after opening it up and
removing the internal latches.

The drill trigger is depressed by simply anchoring a bicycle
cable noodle to the trigger and the drill handle. When the
cable is pulled, it pulls the trigger towards the drill
handle. I will post a pic or two of that when it is stuck on
there.

Not sure whether I will put the fork plus wheel on my current
20 inch BMX bike, or whether to make an ultralight vehicle
out of another aluminum bicycle frame.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 00:17:56 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

[...]

For that price you can buy 2 wheels with hub motors that will fit
standard forks - and not have the fuggly and heavy drill-motor hanging
off the side - and it will actually RUN.

When you say it has been tested, how does it handle 200 lbs on a 5%
grade? How fast does it go? (and how far?) And you can NOT coast
with it. Totally useless setup in my opinion. (and I ride an electric
bike and have built one - neither of which uses a hub motor)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 02:39:26 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

But of course you can coast on a drift trike front wheel.

A chronic lying troll acting like it is sitting on a
corncob...

OK - your drift trike wheel has a freewheel. The only one I ever got
up close to had basically a unicycle wheek - - a "Fixie" adult
big-wheel -

The rest of my critique stands.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC3rB9f7DaU

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 01:00:25 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

John Doe wrote:
[...]

That has the same basic drive setup as my bike, but mine is a lot
quieter, it'f saster, and the motor cost less than the Dewalt drill.
It is also almost invisible when driving down the road and has a range
of about 15 miles. on a frame mounted lead acid battery pack.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

John Doe wrote:
[...]

Also, that one isn't direct drive and sticking out a foot to the side
on the sterring axle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Put it on my BMX bike. It goes ZOOM.
Similar to the second bike experience, but more efficient and
much simpler. A 20 inch drift trike wheel will probably work
fine.