Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning solution

I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

Sitting on my desk is a bottle of stuff that I mixed up to unclog an inkjet printer. I figured what the hell, it's better than nothing, and gave it a try. It worked great, and I'm thinking this could be my new go-to every day cleaner. It's super cheap to make:

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 2:38:15 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

Should work well. Water is the most universal solvent and ammonia is the second most universal solvent.

Isopropyl alcohol is the solvent I turn to when water does not work. But woul make two suggestions. I would use plain tap water. And would add a dash of Dawn detergent.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 2:38:15 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

Sitting on my desk is a bottle of stuff that I mixed up to unclog an inkjet printer. I figured what the hell, it's better than nothing, and gave it a try. It worked great, and I'm thinking this could be my new go-to every day cleaner. It's super cheap to make:

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

Just don't let the ammonia sit on aluminum for long periods of time. Rinse it off. It's alkaline and it will eat aluminum.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 2:38:15 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that
was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

Sitting on my desk is a bottle of stuff that I mixed up to unclog an
inkjet printer. I figured what the hell, it's better than nothing,
and gave it a try. It worked great, and I'm thinking this could be
my new go-to every day cleaner. It's super cheap to make:

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

Just don't let the ammonia sit on aluminum for long periods of time.
Rinse it off. It's alkaline and it will eat aluminum.

--
Ed Huntress
=========
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_cracking

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 9:29:14 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I don't think the ammonia is sitting on the AL long enough to do any damage - it's not discoloring, and just wiping it off leaves no discernible odor. I suppose a quick water rinse would be easy enough.

Season cracking, huh. That just shows what happens when you let your lazy soldiers take days off for inclement weather. Ties in well with Iggy's mail problem, though. Neither rain nor sleet...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 4:20:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 2:38:15 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

Should work well. Water is the most universal solvent and ammonia is the second most universal solvent.

Isopropyl alcohol is the solvent I turn to when water does not work. But woul make two suggestions. I would use plain tap water. And would add a dash of Dawn detergent.

Dan

I used distilled water because I already had it, and all the printer unclogging web sites say to use it. Those nozzles are really tiny, and perhaps the distilled water works better just because it has fewer (hopefully none) particulates. If I was mixing a quart for a spray bottle, it would be tap water for sure.

The household ammonia seems to have at least some detergent built in. It certainly foams a bit when you shake its container.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, ammonia can attack a variety of materials.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

The effect of various dilutions of ammonia on different grades of aluminum is very complex. At some solutions, it creates a layer of aluminum oxide that effectively passivates the aluminum. At different concentrations, it works right past the porosity in the oxide and atacks the parent metal.

Here's the weird thing: Low concentrations, like we have with household ammonia, can cause more trouble than high ones.

Don't ask me why. I don't do chemistry. I just spent years filling my head full of practical engineering data on materials used in metalworking. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

==================

This is the general reason why ammonia promotes the dissolution of
metals more than it's relatively mild alkalinity would suggest.
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cch...3/complex.html
The ammonia molecule is asymmetrical and carries a polar charge that
makes it stick to metal ions.

We learned the principles of chemistry but not all the details, so
after graduation we would be prepared to understand the explanations
which may be proprietary information.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 21:30:46 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_cracking

-jsw

Interesting examples there. I had a box of .35 Remington that did the
same thing. It was a long time ago, 25-30 years. Wonder if it was from
the same run/batch

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Verrry interesting. It won't stick with me, but I will remember that I was once told about it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mikie" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 11:38:13 -0800 (PST), rangerssuck
wrote:

I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that
was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

Sitting on my desk is a bottle of stuff that I mixed up to unclog an
inkjet printer. I figured what the hell, it's better than nothing,
and gave it a try. It worked great, and I'm thinking this could be
my new go-to every day cleaner. It's super cheap to make:

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

A another main problem is how to get this to the actual print head.
Some can be removed and others can not.

As a last attempt I have used 100psi air - the bad outcome was
predictable. It is hell to use an ink jet for color printing!

The prototype color ink jet printer I worked on in the 1980's had an
undocumented purge command that sprayed a stream of ink about 3' with
compressed air. We used it to make custom tee shirts.

The mess that built up around test stations inspired one of the
engineers to invent a 3D printer. Our printer could do low-relief 3D
on paper, such as Braille and wedding invitations, but the molten
plastic ink hardened too brittle to make useful items.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 15:08:58 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
Our printer could do low-relief 3D
on paper, such as Braille and wedding invitations, but the molten
plastic ink hardened too brittle to make useful items.

Saw this in our local paper the other day:

===
Ford Motor Co. is experimenting with the Stratasys Infinite Build 3D
printer to see how the technology could play a role in the future
production of its cars.

The Dearborn-based automaker reports in a news release that the new 3D
printer system will call its Research and Innovation Center in Metro
Detroit home. One the reasons Ford is ramping up its 3D printing
experiments is due to the fact that it can produce lighter parts, which
in turn could enhance fuel efficiency...
===

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/..._printing.html

Interesting stuff...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 15:08:58 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
[...]

Yesterday the dentist installed the permanent crown (new tooth) on my
implant, which is like a masonry anchor screwed into a graft of
granulated cadaver (zombie) bone in my jaw. They made the mold for the
crown by scanning my mouth with a hand-held laser and 3D-printing the
scan. I got to keep the model.

Now I can blame my mouth's previous owner for anything I shouldn't
have said.

-???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just pulled a piece of aluminum out of my scrap stock bucket that was particularly filthy. Dried up oil & dirt.

Sitting on my desk is a bottle of stuff that I mixed up to unclog an inkjet printer. I figured what the hell, it's better than nothing, and gave it a try. It worked great, and I'm thinking this could be my new go-to every day cleaner. It's super cheap to make:

1 part household ammonia
1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol
3 parts distilled water

Just thought I'd share.

Is that for your neti pot?

A another main problem is how to get this to the actual print head.
Some can be removed and others can not.

As a last attempt I have used 100psi air - the bad outcome was
predictable. It is hell to use an ink jet for color printing!

Ruined cartridge, colorful room decorations, and new tats?

I lucked out. The Samsung CLP-600N looked good for $400, but they
were getting rid of the model at Office Depot and had a $200 discount.
I got the color laser printer for $200. Instead of opting for new
toner cartridges 4 years later ($169x4) or rebuilt cartridges ($129x4)
I got a set of 4 micro-toner colors for $62 with new chipped boards
off eBay. A case of paper was $26 @ Staples.

Total cost ~8 years later: $288, with over half a case of paper left.
I would have exceeded that cost in under 2 years with inkjet tech.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I got my HP6110 color copier/fax/printer free-for-the-fixing from one
of my sister's clients. HP's repair procedure was to trash it and buy
a newer one but someone on-line had a method that worked well enough,
wash the condensed crud off the front surface mirror with residue-free
MAF Sensor cleaner, and then leave it turned off unless you need a
print. The consumables cost is reasonable as long as I remember to
select greyscale and medium quality.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:38:41 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Free printer plus $55 for cartridges, then you learn how expensive
they are and only buy the black refill? BTDT, got the laser.

The consumables cost is reasonable as long as I remember to
select greyscale and medium quality.

Isn't that a far cry from color laser prints? Just wondering.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I might not plug in the HP6110 once in 6 months. (It draws 8.8W when
Off.) Its biggest use is to print downloaded tax forms. It had quite
a lot of ink left when I got it over 10 years ago and I've replaced
the cartridges only once. It had failed because the condensation on
the mirror kept it from finding Home.
-jsw