Best drive belts?

Old February 15th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best drive belts?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:45:33 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:24:41 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I've been shoveling until my back tells me to stop, then finishing
with a snowblower. It helps keep me from getting old.

Yeah, you have to continue to use/work the old bod or it'll rust out
on ya, and far too early at that.

Cutting and splitting firewood works for me .

Urk! To hell with that. Pruning, weeding (both yearround), and
burning works for me, as well as installing solar panels on the roof,
replacing water heaters (both 2017), PW & painting the house (2016),
and PW & sealing the driveway (2017). Overhauling the shop with more
shelving and rearranging everything is going to be a helluva lot of
work, too, but then I'll get to work in there again. Whatta mess!

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Old February 15th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:44:21 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
Heck, if I lived in snow country, I'd figure out some way to use a
turbine blower, melting what didn't blow off my driveway. g
Perhaps something a bit smaller than this: http://tinyurl.com/huoj7uo

You best be government or last name of Gate's, Leno... for that kind of
snow removal. They don't give fuel away around here ;-)

This setup isn't too far away from me:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...llions_to.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old February 15th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 11:44:12 AM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:43:07 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:27:04 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
How about something a little smaller and more affordable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvR-eaKUVqU

Dang! That thing needs a lot bigger blower for that size motor. Doubt
if the motor even knows it's doing something other than revving up.
Dude's got a few man hours in that machine...

Some awfully cool snowblowers, custom builds on youtube. One I really
liked from several years ago was just a typical 10-15hp dual stage
machine that had been fitted with remote control. Sit inside and blow
driveway ;-)

I'm with Jim, still shovel the stuff out. Someday I'll have to get a
blower but I'm not there yet. And we do get snow. This is from Feb 2014:

http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/winter2014-02.jpeg

Don't have diddly squat around right now but that is fine by me.

Heck, if I lived in snow country, I'd figure out some way to use a
turbine blower, melting what didn't blow off my driveway. g
Perhaps something a bit smaller than this: http://tinyurl.com/huoj7uo

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

OK, but there are snow melters that do some pretty impressive destruction, turning the white stuff to liquid about as fast as you can feed them. I saw a news report a couple of years ago that showed a New York frontloader dumping snow into one of these and water just pouring out of it. https://youtu..be/LmDl_nETs8U
Old February 15th 17, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

The consistency of the snowbank the road plows leave across the
driveway is somewhere between gravel and hard-frozen ice cream,
shading to wet concrete mix if it partly melts on a sunny day. Guess
what that turns into at night.
-jsw

Old February 16th 17, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
Heck, if I lived in snow country, I'd figure out some way to use a
turbine blower, melting what didn't blow off my driveway. g
Perhaps something a bit smaller than this: http://tinyurl.com/huoj7uo

You best be government or last name of Gate's, Leno... for that kind of
snow removal. They don't give fuel away around here ;-)

You didn't catch the "something a bit smaller" portion of that joke,
didja? Handheld, that jet engine would launch _me_. (as if I
could lift it.) so I'd have to settle for something about 99.5%
smaller. Y'know, 3x larger than a weed burner, and movable. Once a
week, I could handle the fuel costs on my 50' driveway.

Would a pressure washer leave too much ice? It could blow most powder
off the drive, and blast free any previous layers of ice.

Old February 16th 17, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:33:41 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Something just ripe for a pick mattock? Thot so.

Old February 16th 17, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The consistency of the snowbank the road plows leave across the
driveway is somewhere between gravel and hard-frozen ice cream,
shading to wet concrete mix if it partly melts on a sunny day. Guess
what that turns into at night.

Something just ripe for a pick mattock? Thot so.

Sure, if you have the finesse to stop short of the pavement
underneath, or planned to repave it in the spring.

I've tried my winter climbing gear on a frozen snowbank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_axe
It would have been the right tool to carve stair steps up and over the
bank but was nowhere near enough to hack out a vehicle-sized opening.

It's sharper than a mattock since it doesn't strike rocks (much). It
can't be too sharp because the self-arrest technique if you slip is to
hastily grab the wide blade (3) and force the long blade (1) down into
the snow.
-jsw

Old February 16th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:51:48 -0800
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
You didn't catch the "something a bit smaller" portion of that joke,
didja? Handheld, that jet engine would launch _me_. (as if I
could lift it.) so I'd have to settle for something about 99.5%
smaller. Y'know, 3x larger than a weed burner, and movable. Once a
week, I could handle the fuel costs on my 50' driveway.

I caught the smiley, why I smiled back ;-)

Would a pressure washer leave too much ice? It could blow most powder
off the drive, and blast free any previous layers of ice.

You need to spend a winter or two in the rustbelt. It routinely gets
cold enough around here that the road salt/goop they spread quits
working. In those instances a pressure washer would be like spraying ice
rather than removing it

Snow fall can vary anywhere from light puffy stuff that you could move
with air pressure to hard packed stuff that you could cut into
chunks and build an igloo. I have/use a half-dozen shovels and a
couple brooms depending on the consistency.

Your choices are to shovel, plow, blow or drive over it. The latter can
become a huge pain though when a big thaw hits. Packed snow and ice
that is melting becomes really, really slippery. Even four-wheel drive
has its limitations...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old February 16th 17, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:35:54 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
Sure, if you have the finesse to stop short of the pavement
underneath, or planned to repave it in the spring.

Many years ago I help an old girlfriends brother clear his driveway.
He had been driving over the snow and had solid pack maybe 8-10 inches
thick. We used his roto-tiller to loosen it up and then shovel off the
debris. There was cement underneath. His idea/plan. It didn't work too
bad. I wouldn't want to use my tiller though unless there was say
gravel underneath. An old set of tines would be best. I saw the drive
once the snow was gone and you couldn't see any obvious damage. No more
than tire chains would make.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b