Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fun with scrap ( diamond coated stainless disks )

At the scrap yard they had a tri-wall container with a bunch of stainless steel disks. 4.25 inches in diameter and 5 mm thick and coated with diamond.. The disks are used to flatten silicon wafers. They came from DuPont. The back side has a few holes , some tapped to hold the disks on something.

To flatten silicon wafers they need to be pretty flat. They are not perfectly polished. But can almost be wringed together dry. With a little spit on them they wring together so well you can not pull them apart. You have to slide them so there is little area holding them before separating them.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

At the scrap yard they had a tri-wall container with a bunch of
stainless steel disks. 4.25 inches in diameter and 5 mm thick and
coated with diamond. The disks are used to flatten silicon wafers.
They came from DuPont. The back side has a few holes , some tapped to
hold the disks on something.

To flatten silicon wafers they need to be pretty flat. They are not
perfectly polished. But can almost be wringed together dry. With a
little spit on them they wring together so well you can not pull them
apart. You have to slide them so there is little area holding them
before separating them.

Dan
====================

Also wafers break like glass with similar sharp edges.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 6:29:33 PM UTC-4, Hul Tytus wrote:
Dan - er, where's your scrap yard?

Hul

The scrap yard is Diamond Recycling in Wilmington, De.

I have not had great luck mailing these. The disks weigh about a lb each and eight will fit in a small priority box. But I could try again.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 6:29:33 PM UTC-4, Hul Tytus wrote:
Dan - er, where's your scrap yard?

Hul

The scrap yard is Diamond Recycling in Wilmington, De.

I have not had great luck mailing these. The disks weigh about a lb each and eight will fit in a small priority box. But I could try again.

Dan

The problem up here is NONE of the "scrap yards" other than automotive
wreckerswill allow you in or allow you to buy ANY scrap out of the
yard. - sadly - because there is still a LOT of industrial scrap here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 6:39:39 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

The problem up here is NONE of the "scrap yards" other than automotive
wreckerswill allow you in or allow you to buy ANY scrap out of the
yard. - sadly - because there is still a LOT of industrial scrap here.

My neighbor's brother use to work at the scrap yard so I had a bit of an in.. And then for at least the last three years , I have gone to a local grocery and bought a bunch of muffins, soft drinks, and what ever seemed appropriate and took it to the scrap yard on the last day before Christmas. This last Christmas I included 3 bottles of Irish whiskey. So they know me by my first name.

And I am pretty cautious when I am out in the yard. They have a bunch of mobile cranes, 18 wheel trucks and fork lifts.

But I have bought a reasonable amount of stuff there. Large Parker Vise, John boat, aluminum canoe, 2 ton cherry picker, some CO2 tanks.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 6:12:29 PM UTC-4, Hul Tytus wrote:
Dan - it's nice to hear of real scrap yard rather than the auto parts only
versions. Wilmington's a bit too far from here (Cincnnati) but I will keep
it in mind.

Hul

Well if you are ever in the vicinity, contact me. I am in the book.

Besides the scrap yard, there is a bunch of Du Pont stuff. Hagley is where they made black powder. It is 100 plus acres and has a line shaft operated machine shop. The line shaft can be driven by an electric motor or a water turbine.

Nemours Mansion is Alfred DP 's home. It is also on a good sized lot. They did a 20 million dollar refurbishment a few years back.

And there is Winterthur, another Du Pont estate turned into a place to visit.

And nearby is Longwood Gardens. Yep another DuPont estate.

And the Delaware Museum of Natural History. And the Delaware Art museum. The Belanca Museum. All with some ties to the Du Ponts

And a train station on the New York ------Washington D.C. line. My wife came back today from N.Y.C.

Have lunch or dinner at the Du Pont hotel. And walk from my house to a micro brewery/pub or go up to PA and visit the Victory Brewery/pub.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Are the beer and liquor sales in Pennsylvania the same as in Delaware?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 4:03:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Are the beer and liquor sales in Pennsylvania the same as in Delaware?

No, they are not the same. Pennsylvania has state owned liquor stores. Delaware has some sort of law that Liquor stores have to be in a store that only sells liquor. Costco in Willmington has a separate store in the same building.

Oh yes, Delaware has no sales tax.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hul Tytus wrote:
Dan - it's nice to hear of real scrap yard rather than the auto parts only versions. Wilmington's a bit too far from here (Cincinnati) but
I will keep it in mind.

I don't know if they still resell metal, but Mose Cohen in
Middletown, Ohio (45042) used to have separate scrapyards for vehicles
and scrap metal. I used to deal with them, but that was over 30 years ago.

The vehicles were in a lot on Yankee Road.

They recently bought the old Crystal Tissue Paper mill on S. Verity
Parkway, a couple blocks from Oxford State Road. Parts of Verity had
been the Miami-Erie Canal that was filled back in.

Is Carthage Auto Parts still around? I had to use them to get an
exhaust manifold for a Chevy 292, back in the early '80s. No one else
had one.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Washing machine tub - porcelain coated, plastic, stainless muzician21 Home Repair 8 August 5th 10 03:15 AM
Washing machine tub - porcelain coated, plastic, stainless muzician21 Home Ownership 8 August 5th 10 03:15 AM
Diamond disks joevan Home Repair 3 September 2nd 09 12:39 AM
diamond cutting disks sm_jamieson UK diy 13 June 25th 09 11:17 PM
Diamond coated hacksaw blade - need source WKW Metalworking 20 December 8th 08 11:05 PM