Phenolic Handles

Old February 8th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Phenolic Handles

I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500 might find me
a better price somewhere. I've checked obvious places like Amazon, MSC,
Carr-Lane, and EBAY. Essentra has nearly nothing. Zoro's website is about
worthless when you search for something they don't even have and get 6000+
results. I used Google's site search and most of Zoro's stuff was more than
twice the price.

1/4-20 female insert phenolic handles. I don't want the ones MSC has that
have a formed thread. I want one with a female insert.

They get used on lead, tin, and pewter casting molds, so I don't really want
to get away from the modest heat handling of phenolic. My local screw
vendor doesn't have them. I asked.

Last time I looked around McMaster had the best price, but I was only buying
20 at a time then. Maybe they still do.

Old February 8th 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical
Old February 8th 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work,
and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site
earlier I got nothing close.

Old February 8th 17, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500 might find me
a better price somewhere. I've checked obvious places like Amazon, MSC,
Carr-Lane, and EBAY. Essentra has nearly nothing. Zoro's website is about
worthless when you search for something they don't even have and get 6000+
results. I used Google's site search and most of Zoro's stuff was more than
twice the price.

That's really strange. I found Zoro on eBay a few years ago and have
bought dozens of things because they had the lowest prices. Free
shipping over $50 and if you have a smaller order, just $5 to ship,
including 6' sections of allthread. I wonder if their website is
priced differently than their eBay sales.

I just tried the website and picked the first odd thing which came to
my brain, feather duster. 7 hits, no strays. So I tried something I
was sure they didn't have, feather picker. 0 hits, no strays, so I'm
obviously not getting the stray crap you have seen. I have argued
over that at the Home Depot site and, I think, McMaster, though.

1/4-20 female insert phenolic handles. I don't want the ones MSC has that
have a formed thread. I want one with a female insert.

The long life of inserts pleases me, too. Plastic threads usually
don't last beyond a couple R&Rs.

They get used on lead, tin, and pewter casting molds, so I don't really want
to get away from the modest heat handling of phenolic. My local screw
vendor doesn't have them. I asked.

I put an extra ceramic knob on my portable BBQ lid and found that the
insert was glued in. Though it hasn't fallen off, maybe a phenolic
handle is in my future, too.

Last time I looked around McMaster had the best price, but I was only buying
20 at a time then. Maybe they still do.

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay,
Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD. Quite often,
I find a better version of what I was looking for at a lower price
than I'd hoped.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Old February 8th 17, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 18:59:37 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work,
and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site
earlier I got nothing close.

How are their shipping prices? This is the first I've heard of this
company.

I wonder how many of those red phenolic knobs they sell at 2-4x the
price.

Old February 8th 17, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to
use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work,
and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site
earlier I got nothing close.

How are their shipping prices? This is the first I've heard of this
company.

Essentra is the company that bought Reid Supply.

I wonder how many of those red phenolic knobs they sell at 2-4x the
price.

Yeah, with all vendors you have to check price on each item.

Old February 8th 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I am down to pulling handles off my own molds for customer molds, so I went
ahead and ordered 100 from McMaster, but I may order a few sample pieces
from Essentra and see how they compare for next time.

Old February 8th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:23:25 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I am down to pulling handles off my own molds for customer molds, so I went
ahead and ordered 100 from McMaster, but I may order a few sample pieces
from Essentra and see how they compare for next time.

Kind of late... but did you try asking McMaster for a better deal on
that quantity?

The impression I've gotten here is that they may work with you if
you call and ask. Especially since you've found another source that may
be slightly less expensive.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old February 8th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:23:25 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I am down to pulling handles off my own molds for customer molds, so I
went
ahead and ordered 100 from McMaster, but I may order a few sample pieces
from Essentra and see how they compare for next time.

Kind of late... but did you try asking McMaster for a better deal on
that quantity?

The impression I've gotten here is that they may work with you if
you call and ask. Especially since you've found another source that may
be slightly less expensive.

I'll be ordering more in the future, so I can always ask next time.

Old February 9th 17, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

Phenolic Resin Sheeting fred[_8_] UK diy 8 August 2nd 16 09:21 AM
Drilling Phenolic Tim Wescott Metalworking 7 December 22nd 11 10:55 PM
Where to buy Phenolic Ply zikkimalambo@connectfree.co.uk UK diy 1 May 5th 06 09:59 PM
paper phenolic pcb Obelix Electronics 4 October 20th 04 05:41 PM
Turning Phenolic Laminate vmtw Woodturning 7 September 18th 04 01:11 AM