Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Phenolic Handles

I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500 might find me
a better price somewhere. I've checked obvious places like Amazon, MSC,
Carr-Lane, and EBAY. Essentra has nearly nothing. Zoro's website is about
worthless when you search for something they don't even have and get 6000+
results. I used Google's site search and most of Zoro's stuff was more than
twice the price.

1/4-20 female insert phenolic handles. I don't want the ones MSC has that
have a formed thread. I want one with a female insert.

They get used on lead, tin, and pewter casting molds, so I don't really want
to get away from the modest heat handling of phenolic. My local screw
vendor doesn't have them. I asked.

Last time I looked around McMaster had the best price, but I was only buying
20 at a time then. Maybe they still do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work,
and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site
earlier I got nothing close.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500 might find me
a better price somewhere. I've checked obvious places like Amazon, MSC,
Carr-Lane, and EBAY. Essentra has nearly nothing. Zoro's website is about
worthless when you search for something they don't even have and get 6000+
results. I used Google's site search and most of Zoro's stuff was more than
twice the price.

That's really strange. I found Zoro on eBay a few years ago and have
bought dozens of things because they had the lowest prices. Free
shipping over $50 and if you have a smaller order, just $5 to ship,
including 6' sections of allthread. I wonder if their website is
priced differently than their eBay sales.

I just tried the website and picked the first odd thing which came to
my brain, feather duster. 7 hits, no strays. So I tried something I
was sure they didn't have, feather picker. 0 hits, no strays, so I'm
obviously not getting the stray crap you have seen. I have argued
over that at the Home Depot site and, I think, McMaster, though.

1/4-20 female insert phenolic handles. I don't want the ones MSC has that
have a formed thread. I want one with a female insert.

The long life of inserts pleases me, too. Plastic threads usually
don't last beyond a couple R&Rs.

They get used on lead, tin, and pewter casting molds, so I don't really want
to get away from the modest heat handling of phenolic. My local screw
vendor doesn't have them. I asked.

I put an extra ceramic knob on my portable BBQ lid and found that the
insert was glued in. Though it hasn't fallen off, maybe a phenolic
handle is in my future, too.

Last time I looked around McMaster had the best price, but I was only buying
20 at a time then. Maybe they still do.

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay,
Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD. Quite often,
I find a better version of what I was looking for at a lower price
than I'd hoped.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 18:59:37 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work,
and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site
earlier I got nothing close.

How are their shipping prices? This is the first I've heard of this
company.

I wonder how many of those red phenolic knobs they sell at 2-4x the
price.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to
use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work,
and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site
earlier I got nothing close.

How are their shipping prices? This is the first I've heard of this
company.

Essentra is the company that bought Reid Supply.

I wonder how many of those red phenolic knobs they sell at 2-4x the
price.

Yeah, with all vendors you have to check price on each item.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I am down to pulling handles off my own molds for customer molds, so I went
ahead and ordered 100 from McMaster, but I may order a few sample pieces
from Essentra and see how they compare for next time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:23:25 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I am down to pulling handles off my own molds for customer molds, so I went
ahead and ordered 100 from McMaster, but I may order a few sample pieces
from Essentra and see how they compare for next time.

Kind of late... but did you try asking McMaster for a better deal on
that quantity?

The impression I've gotten here is that they may work with you if
you call and ask. Especially since you've found another source that may
be slightly less expensive.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:23:25 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I am down to pulling handles off my own molds for customer molds, so I
went
ahead and ordered 100 from McMaster, but I may order a few sample pieces
from Essentra and see how they compare for next time.

Kind of late... but did you try asking McMaster for a better deal on
that quantity?

The impression I've gotten here is that they may work with you if
you call and ask. Especially since you've found another source that may
be slightly less expensive.

I'll be ordering more in the future, so I can always ask next time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
news
alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

I've not had good luck with Alibaba either, but I have bought a couple
things using Aliexpress. I didn't remember to check either one this time
around.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I used to work at a place where every mechanical engineer had this big
catalog on his desk that was handles and shoulder screws and knobs and
whatnot from cover to cover. Now if I need something, I can't find it.
It's very frustrating. Fortunately, I mostly do circuit design and I DO
know where to find that stuff (except for connectors and switches -- and
that's everyone's bugaboo).

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
newstqdnWqHLKJGLwbFnZ2dnUU7-
I used to work at a place where every mechanical engineer had this big
catalog on his desk that was handles and shoulder screws and knobs and
whatnot from cover to cover. Now if I need something, I can't find it.
It's very frustrating.

I KNOW THAT FEELING. I grew up in a rural area, and my dad owned the local
hardware store. We also had the grocery store next door, and our work shops
were out back of the grocery store. When I was working on something and
needed a part or a tool I'd just walk over to the hardware store and get
what I needed. Now I live in town, and often I drive, call, and web surf
all over town and nobody has that part or tool I need. That part or tool
that I know exactly where it used to be on the shelf in my dad's little old
country hardware store.

It's very frustrating. Fortunately, I mostly do circuit design and I DO
know where to find that stuff (except for connectors and switches -- and
that's everyone's bugaboo).

Yeah, the electronics suppliers have done a decent job of staying up with
the times making it easy for us to find the part we need on-line. Well.
except for Radio Shack which has become no better than a pop-up cell phone
store.

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.

I did check Amazon, but didn't take the time to contact any of the sellers
to ask questions.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 07:29:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay,
Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD.

Might want to add Fastenall to that list. Rarely cheapest for just
one or two, but if you need a bunch of something they will try hard
to be your supplier.

Place I used to work for used a lot of (generic) Destaco 341 clamps
and we negotiated the price down to $13 from the then $20 buying a
dozen at a time. Real ones were about $25 then... Ouch! Up to $35 at
Granger today.

Glad I am no longer there! A bad day at my current job is better
than a good one there.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay,
Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD.

Might want to add Fastenall to that list. Rarely cheapest for just
one or two, but if you need a bunch of something they will try hard
to be your supplier.

I forgot about Fastenal. I buy fill in nuts and bolts from them once in a
while, but only if Copperstate is out and I have to have it today.
Fastenal's biggest claim to fame for that stuff is at least they are cheaper
than Lowes or Home Depot. LOL.

I did give a local salesman with them my email address and a list of pins,
machine screws, and misc hardware I buy all the time, but I never heard back
from him. I know their listed price on all of it was a couple times the
price at Copperstate. On the other hand Ramon at Copperstate and I always
talk about fishing when I drop by to get a couple boxes of something.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning them. Maybe a call to their corporate office
to see about some pricing is in order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 13:19:42 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
I'll be ordering more in the future, so I can always ask next time.

I saw that they had a price discount at quantity 10. I would think that
some more discounts at 100, 250, 500... wouldn't be out of line...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords
"industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you
might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.
Tim Wescott

Amazon lists brass insert knobs from "Essentra Components (formerly
Reid Supply)".

I buy a lot from Amazon to minimize the exposure of my credit card.
They seems more like a flea market selling closeouts and overruns than
a reliable long-term supplier. Several items I bought are no longer
available and the parameters of electronic components suggest they
came from the out-of-spec bins on the tester, for example a batch of
75V gas discharge tubes measured either less than 70V or more than
80V. 50V Schottky diodes from them have PRVs in the high 40's, none
over 50.0V at 50uA leakage.

I recently tested an old Radio Shack "25A 50V" rectifier bridge. The
number on the part corresponded to 600V PRV and it tested over 900V.
Maybe a good one snuck in by accident?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news

1/4-20 female insert phenolic handles.

That polymer clay I mentioned for taking gear tooth impressions is
actually uncured PVC resin and was originally developed to replace
phenolic, which contains formaldehyde. I bought a brick to experiment
with its mechanical and electrical properties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculpey

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 07 Feb 2017 18:24:30 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I got lots of hits on an ixquick search with the keywords "industrial
hardware phenolic handles". Amazon, of all places, has them -- you might
be able to track back from there to someone who'll sell in bulk.
Tim Wescott

Amazon lists brass insert knobs from "Essentra Components (formerly Reid
Supply)".

I buy a lot from Amazon to minimize the exposure of my credit card.

The problem is Amazon has bought some of the companies that they used to
sell for. Then they killed off products that weren't high movers and raised
the price on others. On top of that they have gone around some resellers
buying from their sources in higher volume and undercut them. I used to buy
my mold alignment pins from Small Parts (500-1000 at a time) through Amazon
until Amazon bought them and raised the price. I asked my screw vendor
(Copperstate) to price them for me, and it was a much better price, so I
guess their mercenary business practices served me well in that case.

They seems more like a flea market selling closeouts and overruns than a
reliable long-term supplier.

They had an Ebay-esque feel for a while, but more and more the reliable
repeat products are being carried directly by Amazon. (Prime) Ebay has
actually tried to be more like Amazon used to be supporting commercial
resellers and kind of snubbing buyers and one off sellers.

Several items I bought are no longer available and the parameters of
electronic components suggest they came from the out-of-spec bins on the
tester, for example a batch of 75V gas discharge tubes measured either
less than 70V or more than 80V. 50V Schottky diodes from them have PRVs in
the high 40's, none over 50.0V at 50uA leakage.

I recently tested an old Radio Shack "25A 50V" rectifier bridge. The
number on the part corresponded to 600V PRV and it tested over 900V. Maybe
a good one snuck in by accident?

LOL

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 12:42:24 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

But Amazon is so damned convenient. I biy far more of my onesy twosy parts from Amazon than I do from, say Digikey or Newark. The prices are OK, the shipping is usually free with Prime, and I often can get same-day delivery.

I agree, though, that they have f'd up the small parts offerings.

Even more handy, though, was the place I worked last summer. The hardware racks in their parts room was automatically restocked by Grainger. Can't beat that for convenience.

Several items I bought are no longer available and the parameters of
electronic components suggest they came from the out-of-spec bins on the
tester, for example a batch of 75V gas discharge tubes measured either
less than 70V or more than 80V. 50V Schottky diodes from them have PRVs in
the high 40's, none over 50.0V at 50uA leakage.

I recently tested an old Radio Shack "25A 50V" rectifier bridge. The
number on the part corresponded to 600V PRV and it tested over 900V. Maybe
a good one snuck in by accident?

LOL

-jsw

I used to (in the early - mid 80s) buy Murata piezo transducers from Radio shack. Their retail price was lower than the 5,000 piece price from Murata for the same part number.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:20:57 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to
use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Interesting. Working back from that link found two items that would work,
and are cheaper than McMaster. When I did a straight search of their site
earlier I got nothing close.

How are their shipping prices? This is the first I've heard of this
company.

Essentra is the company that bought Reid Supply.

That name sounds more familiar.

I wonder how many of those red phenolic knobs they sell at 2-4x the
price.

Yeah, with all vendors you have to check price on each item.

Ayup.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Not being rich, I always shop around for the best value. eBay,
Amazon, Zoro, McMaster, Enco (now MSC, $$), and maybe HD.

Might want to add Fastenall to that list. Rarely cheapest for just
one or two, but if you need a bunch of something they will try hard
to be your supplier.

Fastenal -was- in my list--of places to avoid--due to their pricing.
I wanted -3- 55 gallon drum lids w/ qd bands for a client and they
quoted me $99, plus $67 s/h. I found them for $43 delivered on
Amazon. I don't even talk to Fastenal, let alone refer anyone to them.

Place I used to work for used a lot of (generic) Destaco 341 clamps
and we negotiated the price down to $13 from the then $20 buying a
dozen at a time. Real ones were about $25 then... Ouch! Up to $35 at
Granger today.

They're $1.28 each on eBay, w/ free 4-6 week delivery from China.
http://tinyurl.com/hy8xzya grin
Unless you're from the gov't:
http://tinyurl.com/j5r64tt OMFG!

Glad I am no longer there! A bad day at my current job is better
than a good one there.

That's always good to hear from anyone. Congrats.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 16:26:13 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
news
alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

I've not had good luck with Alibaba either, but I have bought a couple
things using Aliexpress. I didn't remember to check either one this time
around.

I've bought from both without problems, WHEN I can find something.
Their search engines truly Hoovers.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 15:34:15 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

They're $1.28 each on eBay, w/ free 4-6 week delivery from China.
http://tinyurl.com/hy8xzya grin

That is not a generic 341... Might actually work on very small molds
and is a fantastic price! Will keep this in mind if I ever get
around to working on my various projects ^H dreams.

Unless you're from the gov't:
http://tinyurl.com/j5r64tt OMFG!

But, but it is stainless steel!;-) Seems like the handle pads have
changed a bit. Hope the old ones still fit as I have a bunch to
eventually sell. (Mostly off brand but a few real Destaco's.) Pulled
them off since they would burn up in the oven anyway.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
news
alibaba? ("Billions of items and a search engine that sucks")

I've not had good luck with Alibaba either, but I have bought a couple
things using Aliexpress. I didn't remember to check either one this time
around.

The way we do it is to draw up a spec for what we're looking for in
excruciating detail including drawings. That spec is then posted to
the RFQ section.

I always include the text: Please do not respond if you cannot
directly address this solicitation. No toys or other irrelevant
items. Please do not respond unless you have an English speaker. No
Google Translate. Non-responsive replies go directly to trash.

This works pretty well. I still get some garbage, mostly toys, but
the responses have been amazingly good considering all.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:24:36 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been buying these 100 at a time from McMaster-Carr
https://www.mcmaster.com/#57455K51 for a $1.90 each. I'm starting to use
them up quick enough that I'd like to see if buying 250 - 500...

Maybe this outfit?
http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-us/knobs-handles-grips/hand-wheels-knobs/tapered-knobs/tapered-knobs-conical

Daka Ware makes a lot of industrial plastics:

http://www.daviesmolding.com/Catalog...rac-Balls.aspx

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I had a friend who was a wholesale surplus dealer, who sold to Radio
Shack. They wold buy components like this from him, as long as they met
the minimum requirements. If he had 600V bridges, but they needed 50V,
that was how they packaged them. His price wasn't dependent on the
specs, but on his costs.

He had a store in the Orlando area about 20 years ago, before he
moved to the Carolinas. I lost track of him, after that. His name was
the same as a famous electronics blogger from down under.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On bridges and rectifiers in general.

If the reverse voltage is high then the other specs are based
on the reverse voltage. e.g. the leakage currents and such.

It is generally best to buy the voltage range you use or just
higher. Those are made for that service.

Martin

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:
On bridges and rectifiers in general.

If the reverse voltage is high then the other specs are based
on the reverse voltage. e.g. the leakage currents and such.

It is generally best to buy the voltage range you use or just
higher. Those are made for that service.

Do you think that the people who bought surplus from RS even cared?

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 11:19:55 PM UTC-8, Michael Terrell wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote:
On bridges and rectifiers in general.

If the reverse voltage is high then the other specs are based
on the reverse voltage. e.g. the leakage currents and such.

It is generally best to buy the voltage range you use or just
higher. Those are made for that service.

Do you think that the people who bought surplus from RS even cared?

I certainly didn't care if their bridge rectifiers underpromised and overdelivered.
The fuses were exactly as marked, THAT matters to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
On bridges and rectifiers in general.

If the reverse voltage is high then the other specs are based
on the reverse voltage. e.g. the leakage currents and such.

It is generally best to buy the voltage range you use or just
higher. Those are made for that service.

Martin

With Schottky diodes increasing the reverse voltage rating costs a
higher forward drop, but I don't remember hearing that about silicon
junction diodes when I was a lab tech at Unitrode. The forward
properties of the 1N4001 - 1N4007 series are all listed as identical:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/88503/1n4001.pdf

I didn't get any good hits from a search on diode recovery time vs
PRV.

The voltage rating doesn't factor in when using a junction as a
temperature sensor, unless they lump it into "ideality":
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/applic...ote/an137f.pdf
That's a very sensitive measure of a junction's DC properties, though
not capacitance and recovery time. It's useful when checking out new
ICs in the lab if the connections to a junction are externally
accessible or can be probed.

I worked on a tester that used base-emitter voltage drop to measure
and control the temperature of a socketed power transistor, without a
heatsink. The only active correction in the op-amp control loop was
subtracting the intrinsic resistance of the emitter multiplied by the
collector current.

The life of a transistor was very short above 175C, and only a few
seconds as it approached 200C. I have a lot of experience
overstressing and breaking things.

I was called in on that project to find out why the power supply
shorted when the device polarity was reversed. The problem was very
efficient relays whose high inductance kept them pulled in by current
circulating through the clamp diode for about 15 seconds after they
were turned off. The engineer knew the theory well, but not so much
the practice.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 02:19:46 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:
On bridges and rectifiers in general.

If the reverse voltage is high then the other specs are based
on the reverse voltage. e.g. the leakage currents and such.

It is generally best to buy the voltage range you use or just
higher. Those are made for that service.

Do you think that the people who bought surplus from RS even cared?

All I've ever heard from RS shoppers are cuss words over their $8.99
each prices on tenth-of-a-cent items.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:
On bridges and rectifiers in general.

If the reverse voltage is high then the other specs are based
on the reverse voltage. e.g. the leakage currents and such.

It is generally best to buy the voltage range you use or just
higher. Those are made for that service.

Do you think that the people who bought surplus from RS even cared?

All I've ever heard from RS shoppers are cuss words over their $8.99
each prices on tenth-of-a-cent items.

You had to pay for the privilege of not stocking the parts you needed.

I was in one years ago, where some jerk was yelling that they should
have the Horizontal output transistor, damper diode and flyback he
wanted. Some fly by night, work out of their trunk 'TV repairman' no doubt.

I needed some Flux remover, and the only local parts house had
closed. It was a two hour round trip to their nearest branch so I could
buy cases of it at RS for less than the lost production time and travel
costs. These days I buy cans of brake cleaner at a liquidator.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Very early silicon were similar to selenium, in that they stacked low
voltage diodes to get the required PIV. Microwave oven diodes still do this.

Early color TV sets switched from a 1V2 tube to a long thin stack of
selenium pellets in the focus circuit. They had a very high forward
drop, and could not be tested with the equipment sold to TV shops.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 21:19:29 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Early color TV sets switched from a 1V2 tube to a long thin stack of
selenium pellets in the focus circuit. They had a very high forward
drop, and could not be tested with the equipment sold to TV shops.

Boy, that brings back memories. Dad and I went down to the local TV
repair shack and tested the tubes for our family TV set, bought a
couple, and returned home to fix the TV. That was back when I was a
13 year old kid and Dad was flying for the Vegas run for Princess
Airlines. IIRC, tubes were expensive for that high-tech -color- TV in
'66. That's back when you could test the tubes for free, and if they
all checked out, they would have you deliver the set for actual repair
by someone qualified. g

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Early color TV sets switched from a 1V2 tube to a long thin stack of
selenium pellets in the focus circuit. They had a very high forward
drop, and could not be tested with the equipment sold to TV shops.

Boy, that brings back memories. Dad and I went down to the local TV
repair shack and tested the tubes for our family TV set, bought a
couple, and returned home to fix the TV. That was back when I was a
13 year old kid and Dad was flying for the Vegas run for Princess
Airlines. IIRC, tubes were expensive for that high-tech -color- TV in
'66. That's back when you could test the tubes for free, and if they
all checked out, they would have you deliver the set for actual repair
by someone qualified. g

I was repairing color TVs at 13.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Early color TV sets switched from a 1V2 tube to a long thin stack of
selenium pellets in the focus circuit. They had a very high forward
drop, and could not be tested with the equipment sold to TV shops.

Boy, that brings back memories. Dad and I went down to the local TV
repair shack and tested the tubes for our family TV set, bought a
couple, and returned home to fix the TV. That was back when I was a
13 year old kid and Dad was flying for the Vegas run for Princess
Airlines. IIRC, tubes were expensive for that high-tech -color- TV
in '66. That's back when you could test the tubes for free, and if
they all checked out, they would have you deliver the set for actual
repair by someone qualified. g

I was repairing color TVs at 13.

I was bolting lawn mower engines to bicycle frames . Got a dandy 2 stroke
mini-tiller engine out there ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:

Early color TV sets switched from a 1V2 tube to a long thin stack of
selenium pellets in the focus circuit. They had a very high forward
drop, and could not be tested with the equipment sold to TV shops.

Boy, that brings back memories. Dad and I went down to the local TV
repair shack and tested the tubes for our family TV set, bought a
couple, and returned home to fix the TV. That was back when I was a
13 year old kid and Dad was flying for the Vegas run for Princess
Airlines. IIRC, tubes were expensive for that high-tech -color- TV
in '66. That's back when you could test the tubes for free, and if
they all checked out, they would have you deliver the set for actual
repair by someone qualified. g

I was repairing color TVs at 13.

I was bolting lawn mower engines to bicycle frames . Got a dandy 2
stroke mini-tiller engine out there ...

I was making $1 an hour after school and on Saturday, along with
lads of used B&W TVs for free. I fixed a lot of them, and sold them to
the kids at school. That was a ready market in the mid '60s!

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Early color TV sets switched from a 1V2 tube to a long thin stack of
selenium pellets in the focus circuit. They had a very high forward
drop, and could not be tested with the equipment sold to TV shops.

Boy, that brings back memories. Dad and I went down to the local TV
repair shack and tested the tubes for our family TV set, bought a
couple, and returned home to fix the TV. That was back when I was a
13 year old kid and Dad was flying for the Vegas run for Princess
Airlines. IIRC, tubes were expensive for that high-tech -color- TV in
'66. That's back when you could test the tubes for free, and if they
all checked out, they would have you deliver the set for actual repair
by someone qualified. g

I was repairing color TVs at 13.

Wow, a child prodigy. bows offstage

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Phenolic Resin Sheeting fred[_8_] UK diy 8 August 2nd 16 08:21 AM
Drilling Phenolic Tim Wescott Metalworking 7 December 22nd 11 09:55 PM
Where to buy Phenolic Ply [email protected] UK diy 1 May 5th 06 08:59 PM
paper phenolic pcb Obelix Electronics 4 October 20th 04 04:41 PM
Turning Phenolic Laminate vmtw Woodturning 7 September 18th 04 12:11 AM