Drill Press Foot Switch

Old February 5th 17, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On 2017-02-04, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 11:45:36 -0800, wrote:

[ ... ]

Greetings Bob,
I have thought about having a reversing motor for tapping on a drill
press many times. I was thinking that I would have a motor that turns
CCW by default and turns CW with a foot switch. Then all that needs to
be done to back off the tap is to step off of the switch. Now I may
really do it.

I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made
for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an
ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet.
My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_
as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.

Yes -- with the exception that changing belts is still
necessary for high torque at low speeds, or for achieving top speed (if
the combination of top belt speed and top VFD boost does not go too fast
for the bearing in the mill. (Of course, with some mills, there is
simply the variable speed crank on the pulleys. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Old February 5th 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 14:21:37 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 2:45:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Greetings Bob,
I have thought about having a reversing motor for tapping on a drill
press many times. I was thinking that I would have a motor that turns
CCW by default and turns CW with a foot switch. Then all that needs to
be done to back off the tap is to step off of the switch. Now I may
really do it.
Eric

You might need to think about this a bit more. Assuming you have a single phase motor, it will not reverse instantly. But if it is three phase , you just need the foot switch to swap two leads.

Dan

Right. But the motor still defaults to reverse rotation so all I would
need to do is step off of the switch, not toggle it.
Eric
Old February 5th 17, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4 Feb 2017 23:59:22 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2017-02-03, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.

Just make it so it is in a guard, so something falling, or a
foot placed wrong won't start it while you are changing drill bits in
the chuck. A quonset-hut shape bolted to a mounting plate for the
switch would be good.

Perhaps put it in series with the switch on the drill press
head, so both have to be on to run the motor. Or a center-off switch
with one position for motor on without the foot switch engaged, and in
the other position, the motor waits for the foot switch.

What I've done with my 1977 or so drill press is replace the
motor with a three-phase one, with a small VFD on the side and three
push buttons on the front. Two in guards for forward and reverse, and
one with a big red cap for stop. (Oh yes, and a pot for speed.) The red
STOP button is in the place easiest to reach, and I can even hit it with
my nose to stop while both hands are occupied. :-) What I really like is
to set the speed to barely turning, hit the FWD button while the tip of
the bit is engaged, and then up the speed once it starts cutting.

But -- there are times when I would like to have a foot switch,
perhaps just for stop.

Enjoy,
DoN.

My drill press has a toggle switch that connects either the regular
switch or the foot switch. So even if the foot switch is left on the
floor it won't energize the drill press if the toggle switch is in the
regular position. The setup works great.
Eric
Old February 5th 17, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 2:47:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You might need to think about this a bit more. Assuming you have a single phase motor, it will not reverse instantly. But if it is three phase , you just need the foot switch to swap two leads.

Dan

Right. But the motor still defaults to reverse rotation so all I would
need to do is step off of the switch, not toggle it.
Eric

But if you are using a single phase motor, it will not reverse until the centrifugal switch drops out.

Dan
Old February 5th 17, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 13:33:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 2:47:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You might need to think about this a bit more. Assuming you have a single phase motor, it will not reverse instantly. But if it is three phase , you just need the foot switch to swap two leads.

Dan

Right. But the motor still defaults to reverse rotation so all I would
need to do is step off of the switch, not toggle it.
Eric

But if you are using a single phase motor, it will not reverse until the centrifugal switch drops out.

Dan

Capacitor start single phase motors only need to slow to about 80%
full speed before they can be reversed. With the tap drag this happens
fast. I have done plenty of this on small single phase motor lathes.
Eric
Old February 6th 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Mills have a nice optional unit for tapping - auto-reverse on a set of
gears in the unit itself. It goes into jaws (or holder...) and the tap
into it's jaws.

Made just for taping.

Martin

If you are talking about a tapping head, they work just fine in drill
presses too. I have two of them in small benchtop drill presses that I
pretty much never take out. One almost always has a 10-32 spiral point tap
in it, and the other a 1/4-20 spiral flute. They are HUGE time savers if
you have to tap a bunch of holes. Adjust the clutch on a new tap so it
doesn't quite slip tappping dry. Then always tap with a drop of Tap Magic
and throw the tap away the first time it slips.

Whoever first told me about them. Thank you. I am sure it was somebody in
this group. They have saved hundreds if not thousands of hours, and a fair
number of parts that I no longer have to worry about removing broken taps
from. LOL.

On mills another tool that is sometimes used is an extension-compression
head. It doesn't auto reverse like a tapping head, but it does allow the
tap to go in further or pull back a a little if the reversing operation
isn't perfectly syncronized.

Old February 6th 17, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-02-06, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Mills have a nice optional unit for tapping - auto-reverse on a set of
gears in the unit itself. It goes into jaws (or holder...) and the tap
into it's jaws.

Made just for taping.

Sounds like a TapMatic, or a Procunier, or even a Buck/Ridgid
Supreme VersaTapper tapping head. I have two sizes of the TapMatic, and
one of the Buck for larger taps.

They all use planetary gears to slow the speed during tapping,
and speed up during backing out.

I've fitted each with a MT-2 arbor to fit my drill press, but it
will work just as well with a cylindrical shank in a collet or tool
holder in the mill.

Mind you -- none of these are particularly affordable, new. All
of mine came from used sources, and the Buck one is out of production
anyway. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Old February 6th 17, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-02-06, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Mills have a nice optional unit for tapping - auto-reverse on a set of
gears in the unit itself. It goes into jaws (or holder...) and the tap
into it's jaws.

Made just for taping.

Sounds like a TapMatic, or a Procunier, or even a Buck/Ridgid
Supreme VersaTapper tapping head. I have two sizes of the TapMatic, and
one of the Buck for larger taps.

They all use planetary gears to slow the speed during tapping,
and speed up during backing out.

I've fitted each with a MT-2 arbor to fit my drill press, but it
will work just as well with a cylindrical shank in a collet or tool
holder in the mill.

Mind you -- none of these are particularly affordable, new.

No kidding. Even the small import starts at about 150-199. Still as
machine tools go they are well worth that and then some if you tap a lot of
holes. I tap so many 10-32 and 1/4-20 holes I hardly ever take my tapping
heads off their respective drill presses. I'm actually thinking about
setting up a drill press island in the shop. 6 bench tops around a table
with my most common drills and taps all premounted and only removed to be
replaced with the same size when they get dull.