Anyone here know about OLD baldor grinders?

Old February 3rd 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone here know about OLD baldor grinders?

I have a Baldor grinder that I have not been able to date. I cannot
even find any pictures of this grinder online and I have looked at
hundreds of images. The grinder is a NO. L-106. It's a 1/4 HP, 3400
rpm 6 inch bench grinder. What sets this grinder apart from all the
other Baldor grinders I have seen is that the wheel guards and the
motor endbells are cast as one piece. Every other Baldor grinder I
have seen has replaceable wheel guards, the guards are held to the
motor endbells with screws. Anybody here have any idea how old it
might be?
Thanks,
Eric
Old February 3rd 17, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 10:08:44 -0800, wrote:

I have a Baldor grinder that I have not been able to date. I cannot
even find any pictures of this grinder online and I have looked at
hundreds of images. The grinder is a NO. L-106. It's a 1/4 HP, 3400
rpm 6 inch bench grinder. What sets this grinder apart from all the
other Baldor grinders I have seen is that the wheel guards and the
motor endbells are cast as one piece. Every other Baldor grinder I
have seen has replaceable wheel guards, the guards are held to the
motor endbells with screws. Anybody here have any idea how old it
might be?
Thanks,
Eric

We had one at a shop I worked in almost 50 years ago, and it was far
from new then. It was mounted on a pedestal made of an old wheel rim
and some water pipe.

VanDorn and GE both made similar grinders - the VanDorn being more
similar to the Baldor. - these were made in the 50s and 60s - possibly
also earlier.
Then there were the baldors with cast guards that were fitted to casr
bell-ends - almost looked one piece but were rotatable.