Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Straightening Music Wire

On Thursday, December 16, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bob Johnson wrote:
I have a need to straighten lengths of .047" music wire cut
from a spool for a project I am working on. While looking
across the web for a solution I came across a "leader
staightening tool" from Du-Bro, they claim the tool will
straighten solid wire fishing leaders. It would seem that
this might work on the music wire, but since I qualify
myself as neither a fisherman or skilled machinist the
questions are -

Will this tool do what I want (guess someone will have to be
a machinist/fisherman to answer)? If you want to see a
picture it can be found at
http://www.wolfffishing.com/wfp/dubprowirstr.html

and if not,

is there an alternative method or trick to making the wire
near straight?

Regards,

Bob Johnson

Bob,

Check out our website for wire straightening tips using our wire straighteners. http://www.novoprecision.com or shoot me an email and I can answer your questions.

Sherwood
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Music wire is a little stronger than tie wire, but if its only .047 you
might be able to straighten it simpley by clamping one end in a vise and
pulling on the other end with a pair of Vise Grips. I did exactly that in
this video with .041 stainless tie wire. I've found its easier to do with a
longer piece of wire, than a short piece. In the video clip I do about ten
feet at a time. I pull until I feel it give slightly.
https://youtu.be/QIvEmwWr6o0?t=3m36s The wire stretching starts at 3:36. I
think I have the link set to start there.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:35:51 -0800, sgriffing wrote:

[...]

Hmm. 18 years to find a solution -- I think he'd have gotten there by
now...

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I saw that after I replied myself. Then I realized he was just
looking for an excuse to post about his products.