Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do antique auto tachs do this?

I have looked at a bunch of websites with no luck. But someone here is
sure to know. All the mechanical tachs I am familiar with work the
same, with an eddy current disc and a spinning magnet. I figured this
out when I fixed a speedometer in a VW Bug way back in 1980. But I
have seen several antique race cars with tachs that don't seem to work
this way because the needle moves in a jerky fashion. It will swing
fast to a position and then stop. The rpm will then audibly change and
there will be a time lag before the needle quickly swings to another
position and stops dead. It's as if the needle can only move in
discrete steps. I can't figure out why this is, if it's done on
purpose, or if it's desirable. I have seen this type of action on
several different makes of race cars. So, who here knows about this?
If you want to see this in action search Youtube for the TV show
"Victory By Design". If you like cars at all, and race cars in
particular, and have never seen any of these shows then by all means
look it up. A retired race car driver, Alain de Cadenet, does a
wonderful job driving and showing off the cars. His obvious joy
driving the cars and his obvious skill driving the cars makes for a
really enternaining show. He talks about brakes, engines, suspensions,
frames, superchargers, carbs, etc. But he never says anything about
the tachs.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 6:00:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I don't really know about what you're talking about, but really old tachometers had centrifugal weights and displaced according to the force on the weights.

I started sports car racing in 1966, and my first tach was a Sun Tach that was all-electronic and very smooth -- aftermarket, on my John Fitch Corvair.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:12:29 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Maybe that's why the motion isn't smooth, there is some stiction maybe
going on.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:05:47 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I believe that you are talking about a Cronometric tachometer. Smith's
cronometric speedometers and tachometers were common on both
automobiles and motorcycles at one time.
See
http://tinyurl.com/h6n8m47 for some details.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/30/2017 6:12 PM, wrote:
I don't really know about what you're talking about, but really old tachometers had centrifugal weights and displaced according to the force on the weights.

3:16 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMP7fW7tj3w

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 1:08:32 AM UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 1/30/2017 6:12 PM, wrote:
I don't really know about what you're talking about, but really old tachometers had centrifugal weights and displaced according to the force on the weights.

3:16 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMP7fW7tj3w

Oh, man, what a cool car. I don't know how that one passed me by -- or maybe it didn't and I just forgot about it. In 1966, the only things I cared about were girls and sports car racing.

Thanks, Bob.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/30/2017 6:12 PM, wrote:
I don't really know about what you're talking about, but really old tachometers had centrifugal weights and displaced according to the force on the weights.

3:16 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMP7fW7tj3w

BTW, I caught that jerking tach. I just got caught up in the car. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 08:45:10 +0700, John B.
wrote:

[...]

Greetings John,
That's it! Thanks! I went to that site already but only saw the eddy
current type. It has bugged me for a long time why the jerky motion
tachs were used and no I know. Cool.
Thanks again,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/30/2017 06:12 PM, wrote:
[...]

The OP is describing a chronometric tachometer. I had a Royal Enfield
and an Atlas that had them.
http://www.mg-tc.de/articles/JaegerC...struments.html
http://www.chronometrics.co.uk/Tacho...chometers.html