Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Made a pallet sized blacksmith forge/shop

The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

1) Propane forge
2) Anvil on wood block
3) 2" thick blacksmith table (I made it, inquire if you want to buy
one)
4) 100 year old Reed 6" vise

The table is made from a 2" thick pipe flange.

It is all to be fastened to this blue plate. The point of this is to
have a self contained shop and to have it all portable on a pallet
sized steel plate. The plate is pretty heavy to handle everything
nicely.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus1576" wrote in message

The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

1) Propane forge
2) Anvil on wood block
3) 2" thick blacksmith table (I made it, inquire if you want to buy
one)
4) 100 year old Reed 6" vise

The table is made from a 2" thick pipe flange.

It is all to be fastened to this blue plate. The point of this is to
have a self contained shop and to have it all portable on a pallet
sized steel plate. The plate is pretty heavy to handle everything
nicely.

Very nice, Iggy. I suppose it's sized to fit on a forklift.

There used to be smiths around here who operated out of pickup trucks.
The vise was bolted to the bumper,. everything else had to be unloaded
to use it, which gave them all the clearance they needed around large
work pieces. Sometimes I have to cart my anvil out to the driveway to
have enough room all around it. I clamp the leg vise to the small
table I weld on.

There are several hand powered machines that could use a mounting hole
pattern on a heavy plate for when you need them, such as this shear:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Pl...ce=grizzly.com

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-01-23, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus1576" wrote in message

The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

1) Propane forge
2) Anvil on wood block
3) 2" thick blacksmith table (I made it, inquire if you want to buy
one)
4) 100 year old Reed 6" vise

The table is made from a 2" thick pipe flange.

It is all to be fastened to this blue plate. The point of this is to
have a self contained shop and to have it all portable on a pallet
sized steel plate. The plate is pretty heavy to handle everything
nicely.

Very nice, Iggy. I suppose it's sized to fit on a forklift.

Right, it is sized so that I can move it with a pallet jack or a
forklift.

There used to be smiths around here who operated out of pickup trucks.
The vise was bolted to the bumper,. everything else had to be unloaded
to use it, which gave them all the clearance they needed around large
work pieces. Sometimes I have to cart my anvil out to the driveway to
have enough room all around it. I clamp the leg vise to the small
table I weld on.

There are several hand powered machines that could use a mounting hole
pattern on a heavy plate for when you need them, such as this shear:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Pl...ce=grizzly.com

Thanks. People at iforgeiron suggested that I rearrange items, I will
do it. I will place anvil and vise next to the forge and not
opposite.

Again, my plan it to walk around on the outside when I work, not to go
inside.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 18:25:08 -0600, Ignoramus1576
wrote:

The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

1) Propane forge
2) Anvil on wood block
3) 2" thick blacksmith table (I made it, inquire if you want to buy
one)
4) 100 year old Reed 6" vise

The table is made from a 2" thick pipe flange.

It is all to be fastened to this blue plate. The point of this is to
have a self contained shop and to have it all portable on a pallet
sized steel plate. The plate is pretty heavy to handle everything
nicely.

"Pretty heavy"? Bwahahahahaha!

Well, nobody is going to sneak up and steal -that- sumbish, that's for
sure. g Looks like something John Henry would make. I like the
old leg vise.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1576 writes:

The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

1) Propane forge
2) Anvil on wood block
3) 2" thick blacksmith table (I made it, inquire if you want to buy
one)
4) 100 year old Reed 6" vise

The table is made from a 2" thick pipe flange.

It is all to be fastened to this blue plate.....

Very tidy, very pretty.

Also very heavy. No way to unload it without a forklift.
Blacksmithing meets I go to don't usually have a forklift available.

As for position, right-handed smiths will like to pivot 90 deg. right
from the forge to the anvil -- minimum travel distance for the
workpiece.

Height of the vices: You might want to consult with the buyer before
you lock the vises in place. Makes a differrence whether the smith
will be doing fiddly small work, filing, heavier hammering at the
vise. Same for the anvil height. Two inches off from good ergonomics
can lame the smith in a fairly short time, at least lead to very
inefficient blows.

--
Michael Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada .~.
/V\

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 7:25:15 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus1576 wrote:
The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

1) Propane forge
2) Anvil on wood block
3) 2" thick blacksmith table (I made it, inquire if you want to buy
one)
4) 100 year old Reed 6" vise

The table is made from a 2" thick pipe flange.

It is all to be fastened to this blue plate. The point of this is to
have a self contained shop and to have it all portable on a pallet
sized steel plate. The plate is pretty heavy to handle everything
nicely.

Nice! Is this for your own use? A new hobby or are you branching out your business?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus1576" wrote in message

The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

Nice work Iggy. I've been thinking of doing something similar for a small
foundry casting setup. Foundry furnace, safety area of fire brick for
casting and for molds. Rack for tongs, scraper, and crucicbles, and a rack
for a 100lb propane bottle all on one assembly I can roll out of the shop to
use and roll back in so weather doesn't ruin it.

I don't know how fast your forge will use propane, but on foundry furnaces
often those small bottles cool down so fast that they actually have reduced
flow of propane. They even ise up on the outside. You may want to consider
a larger bottle, or be ready to swap out bottles if it becomes an issue.
Liquid propane evaporating in the top of the bottle as you use it has a very
significant refrigeration effect.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1576 wrote:

The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

snip

I like it, very nice.

Seems like quite a few of us have portable tables, vises... and such
that we roll out for safety or to get extra room to work or in my case
both

If you haven't heard of Icweld on Instagram you should take a look at
his stuff:

https://www.instagram.com/icweld/

Especially his air arc gouging and oxy-acy cutting. If you aren't
familiar with Air Carbon-Arc Gouging I think you may want to check into
it.

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products...cair/index.cfm

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-01-23, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

If I recall, it is OK with this forge, I used it before. But I do know
what you are talking about.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 7:25:15 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus1576 wrote:
The shop is four items on a blue 1" thick steel plate:

Pictures:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...cksmith-Forge/

1) Propane forge
2) Anvil on wood block
3) 2" thick blacksmith table (I made it, inquire if you want to buy
one)
4) 100 year old Reed 6" vise

The table is made from a 2" thick pipe flange.

It is all to be fastened to this blue plate. The point of this is to
have a self contained shop and to have it all portable on a pallet
sized steel plate. The plate is pretty heavy to handle everything
nicely.

Good jobIg.

Round blacksmith tables made from blind pipe flanges [email protected] Metalworking 7 November 9th 13 02:57 PM
Pictures -- made a mini forge today Larry Jaques Metalworking 3 December 28th 08 05:05 AM
ready made shop Karl Townsend Metalworking 40 January 1st 08 05:32 AM
Shop made Mortise jig Vic Woodworking 7 November 13th 06 04:33 PM
shop-made air cleaner Andy Woodworking 8 May 20th 05 01:41 PM