Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to carve limestone with homebrew machines

This is interesting.

Ed Leedskalnin was from Latvia, moved eventually to Homestead Florida,
where he built a castle from coral limestone.

Of course, "how did he do that?" is always a good question. Ed would
say "I understand the laws of weight and leverage and I know the
secrets of the people who built the pyramids." Which of course also
brings out the conspiracy theorists.
But this guy gives a good explanation of how it worked. "Simple
Engineering". Some serious metal working here if you want to
reconstruct it for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOoCuDnmtyM

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:41:54 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

This is interesting.

Ed Leedskalnin was from Latvia, moved eventually to Homestead Florida,
where he built a castle from coral limestone.

Of course, "how did he do that?" is always a good question. Ed would
say "I understand the laws of weight and leverage and I know the
secrets of the people who built the pyramids." Which of course also
brings out the conspiracy theorists.
But this guy gives a good explanation of how it worked. "Simple
Engineering". Some serious metal working here if you want to
reconstruct it for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOoCuDnmtyM

tschus
pyotr

Will wait until my days off to watch a 30 minute video. Have read
about the Coral Castle before. Not sure if this is mentioned but one
of the 'perfectly balanced' pivoting rocks was later found to be
mounted on a hidden truck axle.

Along the same theme, moving huge blocks of concrete by hand,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvx5gSnfW4 only six minutes.
Actually bought the guys CD about ten years ago to see all the ones
that were not on You Tube. Warning, the wind noise in some of his
videos is awful! He needs one of those foam microphone covers.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Bagwell on Sat, 21 Jan 2017
05:35:08 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

This is interesting.

Ed Leedskalnin was from Latvia, moved eventually to Homestead Florida,
where he built a castle from coral limestone.

Of course, "how did he do that?" is always a good question. Ed would
say "I understand the laws of weight and leverage and I know the
secrets of the people who built the pyramids." Which of course also
brings out the conspiracy theorists.
But this guy gives a good explanation of how it worked. "Simple
Engineering". Some serious metal working here if you want to
reconstruct it for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOoCuDnmtyM

tschus
pyotr

Will wait until my days off to watch a 30 minute video.

I skipped through it back and forth while doing other stuff.

Have read
about the Coral Castle before. Not sure if this is mentioned but one
of the 'perfectly balanced' pivoting rocks was later found to be
mounted on a hidden truck axle.

he mentions that 'even the movies show that "The floating stones"
have visible rollers under them'.

Along the same theme, moving huge blocks of concrete by hand,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvx5gSnfW4 only six minutes.
Actually bought the guys CD about ten years ago to see all the ones
that were not on You Tube. Warning, the wind noise in some of his
videos is awful! He needs one of those foam microphone covers.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Cool video. I saw a short vid on Coral Castle a long while back.
Some kind of Bermuda Triangle film, IIRC.

Actually bought the guys CD about ten years ago to see all the ones
that were not on You Tube. Warning, the wind noise in some of his
videos is awful! He needs one of those foam microphone covers.

Almost everyone on Youtube needs those covers, but the majority of
filming nowaday is done via phones, where there is no hope of a foam
cover. There's a niche which could be filled!

And we haven't discussed the need for filmmakers to have a steady hand
and to pay attention to what they're filming. Gawd, so many of those
films just purely SUCK.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Sat, 21 Jan 2017
10:46:45 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

Even the ones with a "professional" set up tend to suck. My
Son-in-law is in teaching, and one of those is the recording of
videos. And how the really good ones - well, let us say that all
those casual spontaneous comments, they're scripted and rehearsed.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 09:43:25 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Sat, 21 Jan 2017
10:46:45 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
And we haven't discussed the need for filmmakers to have a steady hand
and to pay attention to what they're filming. Gawd, so many of those
films just purely SUCK.

Even the ones with a "professional" set up tend to suck. My

Agreed. A braindead idiot with a $4k camera is still an idiot.

Son-in-law is in teaching, and one of those is the recording of
videos. And how the really good ones - well, let us say that all
those casual spontaneous comments, they're scripted and rehearsed.

But of course.

Professionalism includes how closely you pay attention to WTF is going
on. Remember the filming of Bill Clinton on Normandy beach "all by
himself, with his thoughts.", with the shadows of half a dozen torsos
in the picture? Oops! And that's how we end up with a guy shooting
200 uninterrupted shots from a rifle with a 30 round mag, even when
they have a guy on-set with the word "Continuity" on his jacket.