Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DMC mill

A friend just acquired a Defiance DMC Mill and is having a
hard time finding any type of manuals. Someone removed several
components from the control cabinet. He would like to see what
is missing and start the rebuild.

It has a Precise SC3062 Spindle motor on it, AC asynchronous
3-phase, 2 pole induction motor. The frequency rang of the
motor is 167 - 1000 Hz and a voltage range of 22 - 200VAC .

The Spindle cooling pump, type 7136, is gone as is the Frequency
converter type PCS410. He would like to start with getting the
spindle up and running then find servo drivers and add mach 4.
Any ideas on the proper VFD replacement, or coolant pump? The
original pump was rated at 400W @ 60000 RPM.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Lesher" wrote in message
news
A friend just acquired a Defiance DMC Mill and is having a
hard time finding any type of manuals. Someone removed several
components from the control cabinet. He would like to see what
is missing and start the rebuild.

It has a Precise SC3062 Spindle motor on it, AC asynchronous
3-phase, 2 pole induction motor. The frequency rang of the
motor is 167 - 1000 Hz and a voltage range of 22 - 200VAC .

The Spindle cooling pump, type 7136, is gone as is the Frequency
converter type PCS410. He would like to start with getting the
spindle up and running then find servo drivers and add mach 4.
Any ideas on the proper VFD replacement, or coolant pump? The
original pump was rated at 400W @ 60000 RPM.

I wouldn't worry about the spindle just yet. You can always replace the
spindle. Check out the mechanical bits. If the ways and screws are good
and the machine is square, then gut it out and save what you can. 60000
RPM!!! I figured that when I read 1000Hz. .5 HP is significant, but at
lower RPMs its nothing at all. My experience with high speed spindles is
they like being used at about 1/4 of the power they claim or less. I've got
three 24K spindle machines and a couple similar spindles I use on other
machines as companions. My 800W spindle kinda complains at more than 1/4 hp
load. Its kind of the minimum size for me.

Look it over carefully. You may find a lot of the components are off the
shelf bits and pieces. You might not find the manual for the mill, but if
you can find the manuals for the parts you can figure it out.