Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Credit card over the limit declined

I have two credit cards, one for my business and one personal.

For both, I pay them in full every month and my current debt is way
under my credit limit on both.

And yet, today, at a gas station, both cards were declined due to "OVER
THE LIMIT".

I am curious as to why it happens. I have always carried cash on me,
so I was able to pay for gas, but I am puzzled as to why it is
happening.

I absolutely dread the future prospect of a so called "cashless
society", promulgated by greedy banksters, and this sort of stuff is a
part of the reason. Cash is a very useful thing, for many reasons, but
cash cannot hire lobbyists and banks do have lobbyists.

Still, I want to know what is happening behind the scene as to those
transactions that are being rejected.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:29:53 -0600
Ignoramus8887 wrote:

I have two credit cards, one for my business and one personal.

For both, I pay them in full every month and my current debt is way
under my credit limit on both.

And yet, today, at a gas station, both cards were declined due to "OVER
THE LIMIT".

I am curious as to why it happens. I have always carried cash on me,
so I was able to pay for gas, but I am puzzled as to why it is
happening.

I absolutely dread the future prospect of a so called "cashless
society", promulgated by greedy banksters, and this sort of stuff is a
part of the reason. Cash is a very useful thing, for many reasons, but
cash cannot hire lobbyists and banks do have lobbyists.

Still, I want to know what is happening behind the scene as to those
transactions that are being rejected.

Thanks

There used to be a limit here for how much you could pay at the pump.
It use to be $80 if I remember correctly. If you stayed under that
amount it went through. You could go into the station with your card
first I believe and process the card there. Here are a couple
articles. They are old but should help explain it...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4962033&page=1

https://consumerist.com/2008/08/11/s...he-pump-limit/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_at...t_to_consumers

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus8887 wrote:

[...]

Leon, I was indeed trying to pay INSIDE.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mike" wrote in message
news
...Seems you can't buy/return/buy the same item with your credit
card. If I'd been out of town and dependent on that card, I'd have
been screwed.

Harbor Freight handles extended warranties bought after you've checked
the thing out by "returning" it and selling it a second time, along
with the warranty. My Visa card hasn't been refused, yet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:06:45 -0600

On 2017-01-10, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:29:53 -0600
Ignoramus8887 wrote:

[...]

There used to be a limit here for how much you could pay at the pump.
It use to be $80 if I remember correctly. If you stayed under that
amount it went through. You could go into the station with your card
first I believe and process the card there. Here are a couple
articles. They are old but should help explain it...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4962033&page=1

https://consumerist.com/2008/08/11/s...he-pump-limit/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_at...t_to_consumers

Leon, I was indeed trying to pay INSIDE.

It was just a guess...

Did some searching with "chase card". Wow, a lot of disgruntled users.
One thing I did notice is that a lot of them payed off their monthly
balances in full and yet till got declined for small purchases.

All sorts of tales of woe he

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cred...ds.html?page=2

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/10/2017 1:10 PM, mike wrote:

I bought an item at home depot. It was broke, so I took it back
for a replacement. They wouldn't swap it. Had to return it for
credit and buy the new one again. But the credit card was declined
and locked. I had to go home and call the CC company to get it turned
back on. Seems you can't buy/return/buy the same item with your credit
card. If I'd been out of town and dependent on that card, I'd have
been screwed.

Something other than just a return must've triggered it or you've got an
exceedingly picky CC issuer. I return stuff all the time via CC and
never had any such issue (including on occasion the case you mentioned,
altho most times it's a swap or straight return).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/10/2017 11:49 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

There used to be a limit here for how much you could pay at the pump.
It use to be $80 if I remember correctly. If you stayed under that
amount it went through. You could go into the station with your card
first I believe and process the card there. ...

A buddy who had local Mobil distributorship until just recently once
told me that those limits were set somehow in the pump firmware and
transferred along w/ the specific card data to the issuer when the
approval request went...

It's real pita when can't even fill a vehicle on an unattended island,
though, fer shure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-01-10, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:29:53 -0600
Ignoramus8887 wrote:

[...]

[...]

My wife tried buying some flowers for her mother by telephone for Christmas, and both her Chase card and a Cap. One card were rejected.

It turns out that neither one would accept telephone charges on a chip card. The florist didn't seem to know that, or possibly she didn't use the 3-digit code on the back of the card.

It was a small-town florist that doesn't get many phone orders.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-01-10, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:29:53 -0600
Ignoramus8887 wrote:

[...]

There used to be a limit here for how much you could pay at the pump.
It use to be $80 if I remember correctly. If you stayed under that
amount it went through. You could go into the station with your card
first I believe and process the card there. Here are a couple
articles. They are old but should help explain it...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4962033&page=1

https://consumerist.com/2008/08/11/s...he-pump-limit/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_at...t_to_consumers

Leon, I was indeed trying to pay INSIDE.

It was just a guess...

Did some searching with "chase card". Wow, a lot of disgruntled users.
One thing I did notice is that a lot of them payed off their monthly
balances in full and yet till got declined for small purchases.

All sorts of tales of woe he

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cred...ds.html?page=2

Their rates are ghastly, especially if you miss a payment or go
overlimit. Some of the cards out nowadays (from all companies) are so
high they would have been considered _usurious_ when I took Business
Law in high school. 34% is the highest I've seen.

And if those aren't bad enough, CC Cos get $39 a pop for late
payments, returned checks, and overlimit fees, plus hitting you with
the highest rates they state for 6-12mos afterward, if late.

I learned early on to pay off the balance monthly, and to pay the max
I could until the balance was paid off after an emergency buy.

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Still, I want to know what is happening behind the scene as to those
transactions that are being rejected.

Easy. The pump puts a reserve on your card of anywhere from about $75
to over $200. You pump your fuel and the actual amount is charged. In
a couple of days (while they use your money), the reserve is lifted
and the actual amount charged.

If you buy gas several times a day, you can easily max out a card that
doesn't have a lot of head room.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:35:58 -0400, the renowned Leon Fisk
wrote:

Did some searching with "chase card". Wow, a lot of disgruntled users.
One thing I did notice is that a lot of them payed off their monthly
balances in full and yet till got declined for small purchases.

All sorts of tales of woe he

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cred...ds.html?page=2

Yes, I use a Chase card occasionally because it has no foreign
transaction fee (save 2.5%). They are very skittish so I don't ever
depend on it.

--sp

--
Best regards,