Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Link V belt in varidrive?

I am needing to replace a v belt in my DoAll bandsaw. The belt goes
from the motor to the varidrive. I have been trying to get the
varidrive apart to change the belt but there is a retaining ring that
is giving me fits. Especially because both of my wrists are bone on
bone joints and they are forced to bend in a bad way when trying to
get the damn ring off. So I'm thinking that maybe one of those link
type V belts might be a good solution. Anybody have any experience
with these type of belt in a var-drive?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2017-01-08, wrote:
I am needing to replace a v belt in my DoAll bandsaw. The belt goes
from the motor to the varidrive. I have been trying to get the
varidrive apart to change the belt but there is a retaining ring that
is giving me fits. Especially because both of my wrists are bone on
bone joints and they are forced to bend in a bad way when trying to
get the damn ring off.

I don't know about the DoAll saws, but the Bridgeport 2J head I
have has a tapped hole in the end of the motor shaft, and a square
U-shaped piece can straddle the end of the shaft and the snap ring, and
be drawn down by one of the bolts which holds the cover plate on, so you
can then reach in with the Snap ring pliers and release it with no load
on it.

I hope that something like this will work for you. Look att he
setup to see if something similar is possible.

So I'm thinking that maybe one of those link
type V belts might be a good solution. Anybody have any experience
with these type of belt in a var-drive?

At least the Brigeport uses a rather wide belt, and rather
thick, so the width definition is a lot firmer than a link belt could
be, so if it is similar in the belt you need to replace, it would likely
not work.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
news
I am needing to replace a v belt in my DoAll bandsaw. The belt goes
from the motor to the varidrive. I have been trying to get the
varidrive apart to change the belt but there is a retaining ring that
is giving me fits. Especially because both of my wrists are bone on
bone joints and they are forced to bend in a bad way when trying to
get the damn ring off. So I'm thinking that maybe one of those link
type V belts might be a good solution. Anybody have any experience
with these type of belt in a var-drive?
Thanks,
Eric

I have a link belt on my small lathe. It works ok.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
news
I am needing to replace a v belt in my DoAll bandsaw. The belt goes
from the motor to the varidrive. I have been trying to get the
varidrive apart to change the belt but there is a retaining ring that
is giving me fits. Especially because both of my wrists are bone on
bone joints and they are forced to bend in a bad way when trying to
get the damn ring off. So I'm thinking that maybe one of those link
type V belts might be a good solution. Anybody have any experience
with these type of belt in a var-drive?
Thanks,
Eric

I've seen link belts from 3/8 to 5/8 width, but some equipment may require
something else. Make sure you can get a belt that will work before
committing to that course. Also, link belts ARE expensive compared to
v-belts or cog v-belts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9 Jan 2017 04:48:03 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2017-01-08, wrote:
[...]

The saw varidrive is not the same as the Bridgeport varidrive. They
work in a similar fashion but are not held together the same, don't
have a spring, and don't use the same type belt. The saw uses a
regular v belt.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On my wood and on my metal lathes I have link belts. Two widths.
The wood lathe had bearings that ran in open races with grease pots.
Taking that apart and maybe not the other caused me to try in the first
place.

The belts are tough. They take wearing in - going from flat to V like.
The length needs shortening after a wear in period takes place.

Martin

On 1/9/2017 12:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
wrote in message
news
I am needing to replace a v belt in my DoAll bandsaw. The belt goes
from the motor to the varidrive. I have been trying to get the
varidrive apart to change the belt but there is a retaining ring that
is giving me fits. Especially because both of my wrists are bone on
bone joints and they are forced to bend in a bad way when trying to
get the damn ring off. So I'm thinking that maybe one of those link
type V belts might be a good solution. Anybody have any experience
with these type of belt in a var-drive?
Thanks,
Eric

I have a link belt on my small lathe. It works ok.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the report Martin.
Eric
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:36:15 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

On my wood and on my metal lathes I have link belts. Two widths.
The wood lathe had bearings that ran in open races with grease pots.
Taking that apart and maybe not the other caused me to try in the first
place.

The belts are tough. They take wearing in - going from flat to V like.
The length needs shortening after a wear in period takes place.

Martin

On 1/9/2017 12:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
wrote in message
news
I am needing to replace a v belt in my DoAll bandsaw. The belt goes
from the motor to the varidrive. I have been trying to get the
varidrive apart to change the belt but there is a retaining ring that
is giving me fits. Especially because both of my wrists are bone on
bone joints and they are forced to bend in a bad way when trying to
get the damn ring off. So I'm thinking that maybe one of those link
type V belts might be a good solution. Anybody have any experience
with these type of belt in a var-drive?
Thanks,
Eric

I have a link belt on my small lathe. It works ok.

Accu-Link adjustable link belt? Tim Shoppa Metalworking 7 February 13th 11 03:10 AM
Old link v-belt disassembly axolotl[_2_] Metalworking 2 September 26th 10 05:08 AM
Link Belt for VS Jet JimC Woodturning 1 July 10th 06 12:13 AM
link belt (narrow) Wuzfuzde Woodturning 4 February 1st 05 08:09 PM
What width of link belt to get .. Paul D Woodworking 6 January 4th 05 04:16 AM