Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KD KD is offline

Default How dangerous is a compressor air receiver failure?

replying to john johnson, KD wrote:
Have a look at this video of air receiver failure captured by home security
camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw
Listen to the commentary and watch to the end to see photos of the remains of
the air receiver. If I were you I would just buy another unit rather than run
the risk of using a corroded pressure vessel. New ones are very affordable.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...re-343976-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/05/2017 05:18 AM, KD wrote:
replying to john johnson, KD wrote:
Have a look at this video of air receiver failure captured by home security
camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw Listen to the
commentary and watch to the end to see photos of the remains of
the air receiver. If I were you I would just buy another unit rather
than run
the risk of using a corroded pressure vessel. New ones are very affordable.

Look how the end caps separated cleanly off that thing. That wasn't
rust. I'm worried now, better put mine on craigslist. Maybe Gummer will
score it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 09:49:32 -0800, Pterrible
wrote:

On 01/05/2017 05:18 AM, KD wrote:
replying to john johnson, KD wrote:
Have a look at this video of air receiver failure captured by home security
camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw Listen to the
commentary and watch to the end to see photos of the remains of
the air receiver. If I were you I would just buy another unit rather
than run
the risk of using a corroded pressure vessel. New ones are very affordable.

Look how the end caps separated cleanly off that thing. That wasn't
rust. I'm worried now, better put mine on craigslist.

Or hover over it during each filling? wink I'd like to see all the
edges of that tank to determine just what -did- happen to it.

If the guy's father hadn't been right next to it, it would have missed
him altogether.

Maybe Gummer will score it.

And weld it back together with his supreme 'trailer spare' welding
feats. gd&r

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 01/05/2017 05:18 AM, KD wrote:
replying to john johnson, KD wrote:
Have a look at this video of air receiver failure captured by home security
camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw Listen to the
commentary and watch to the end to see photos of the remains of
the air receiver. If I were you I would just buy another unit rather
than run
the risk of using a corroded pressure vessel. New ones are very affordable.

Look how the end caps separated cleanly off that thing. That wasn't
rust. I'm worried now, better put mine on craigslist.

Or hover over it during each filling? wink I'd like to see all the
edges of that tank to determine just what -did- happen to it.

If the guy's father hadn't been right next to it, it would have missed
him altogether.

If you look close at the still images at 2:45-2:47 it sure looks like a
new weld with the paint blackened and very clean edge. Straight in line
with the air fitting at the edge of the tear. I'm wondering if it pin
holed, they cleaned and welded it but didn't get proper penetration, and
the tank tore apart in the HAZ.
As for the end caps, that's common in a pressure vessel failure
(actually intended as well) The metal tears away at the weld.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/6/2017 1:20 AM, Steve W. wrote:
If you look close at the still images at 2:45-2:47 it sure looks like a
new weld with the paint blackened and very clean edge. Straight in line
with the air fitting at the edge of the tear. I'm wondering if it pin
holed, they cleaned and welded it but didn't get proper penetration, and
the tank tore apart in the HAZ. ...

It is fishy. I'd like to have my hands on the remains and find the bad
spot. As one of the YouTube commenters said, it was likely an
over-pressure situation with the pressure switch and pop-off both
failing (or over ridden). I would expect rusty tanks to leak
progressively until they're useless. It doesn't take much of a leak
before the compressor is cycling too often and a hiss is noticeable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 10:47:50 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 1/6/2017 1:20 AM, Steve W. wrote:
If you look close at the still images at 2:45-2:47 it sure looks like a
new weld with the paint blackened and very clean edge. Straight in line
with the air fitting at the edge of the tear.

The outside of the seam is painted, and it's old paint.

I'm wondering if it pin
holed, they cleaned and welded it but didn't get proper penetration, and
the tank tore apart in the HAZ. ...

I think that may have been done later, removing the domes during
cleanup.

It is fishy. I'd like to have my hands on the remains and find the bad
spot. As one of the YouTube commenters said, it was likely an
over-pressure situation with the pressure switch and pop-off both
failing (or over ridden). I would expect rusty tanks to leak
progressively until they're useless. It doesn't take much of a leak
before the compressor is cycling too often and a hiss is noticeable.

Because the tank split straight at the seam, it does look more like an
overpressure failure than anything else. Tears are usually more
jagged and curved, not perfectly straight. Note the way it jumped
straight up into the air, too. It appeared that the father was looking
at it when it went, too. Perhaps he heard something and...

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Because the tank split straight at the seam, it does look more like an
overpressure failure than anything else.

No, I don't believe that. The compressor only jumped up a couple feet, and
didn't knock the guy down. And, apparently, he survived. If the tank had
let go at 120++ PSI, likely both of them would have been killed, one by
being squashed against a wall or ceiling, and the other by flying debris.

Even small receiver failures are notoriously fatal, and the damage to the
shop testify to the HUGE forces involved. These things do almost as much
damage as an artillery shell. From the video, it seems that this one let go
at well below 100 PSI. It was enough to flatten the tank, though, so more
than, oh, maybe 25 PSI or so (And I'm no expert on the dynamics of rupturing
tanks.)

Jon