Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Amazing Chinese forging video

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
news
Howard Beal wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message
news

Finkl closed up their northside plant and moved to the southside. The
whole site has been bulldozed flat and sold to a developer.

Back in the late 80's, they turned the area into a "Planned
Manufacturing
District" to protect it from residential encroachment, but no sooner did
they do that, than they started cutting out chunks for retail shopping
centers.

For nearly thirty years they have been chomping at the bit to slap
housing
on that area, looks like they'll finally get their wish.

Paul K. Dickman

WGN news had a report about finkl, seems thier south side neighbors
don't like them. The people near the plant are bitching about noise,
smells, vibration and broken promises.

It's a ****ing steel mill that makes huge forgings. Not sure what they
were expecting.

I'm glad they're still around though.

The impression i got was that the complaintents were looking to get some
$$$$$
from finkl. I am shure the chicago city planners had good reasons to allow
the plant to be built at it's current location.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 20:52:46 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

I hope we don't find out in 30 years that this is a poison hole
that pollute the ground with chemicals and heavy metals......

It shouldn't take that long to find out, Martin. The land will be
tested before the next purchaser takes over. Oops!

-
If ever the Time should come, when vain and aspiring

Men shall possess the highest Seats in Government,

our Country will stand in Need of its experienced

Patriots to prevent its Ruin.
-- Samuel Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

Howard Beal wrote:

[...]

Planners? Jeez Tom, you used to live here, when was the last time you saw
the city do any planning?
Finkl got bought out by a German firm and they threatened to leave, the city
let 'em do what ever they wanted and sweetened the deal with money and land.

I am glad we kept the jobs, but at the new site, Finkl's buildings are about
150-200 feet from the houses, that's a pretty small buffer zone for drop
forging. It's sparsely populated though and, if they have any sense, they
are buying people out as we speak.

From the city's stand point 200 feet from houses in Burnside was preferable
to 750 feet from yuppies in Lincoln Park.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

From the city's stand point 200 feet from houses in Burnside was
preferable to 750 feet from yuppies in Lincoln Park.

Paul K. Dickman

Chicago city planning is immune from public input or opinion.

The city knew exactly what they were doing. Burnside residents do not have
the political or financial muscle to block the project.

The city will recoup money through higher property taxes they will collect
when the old finkl site is gentrified.

If Burnside residents become a problem a flock of city building inspectors
will descend upon them condeming thier homes declairing them as
unfit for human occupancy. Thier claims of damage will be used against
them.

Resistance is futile !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 10:50:21 PM UTC-5, Mike Spencer wrote:
writes:

The other eye-catcher was quenching a heat of coke. Did you ever see
that done? It blackened the sky for miles. Not long after, doing it
without filters was outlawed in the US and most of Europe.

Saw that done at Sydney, Nova Scotia, early 70s. Whole flaming rail
car drenched, spectaular at night. A few years later, the mill closed
and the "tar ponds" that collected the runoff became the province's
biggest environmental nightmare.

People who live downwind of those operations in China and India die
at an early age.

AIUI, the health/mortality consequences of decades of coking in Sydney
are still being litigated here.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

I find it strange that the health consequences of breathing carbon particulates, which was recognized and a major issue back in the years of political activism for clean air, decades ago, had fallen off the radar again until fairly recently.

When I was a medical editor I saw frequent reports from Europe that identified the health risks presented by diesel automobiles. I remember one study that concluded that 11,000 people per year die prematurely in Europe from that cause alone.

In the meantime, the US had tighter particulate limits on diesel cars than Europe did, which is the main reason we still don't have many diesel cars in the US. But we haven't made a big deal about it, otherwise. Stack scrubbers and other filters helped a lot with power plants and other big coal burners, but the push for diesel cars kept moving forward. The thought was that we could reduce the output to a "safe" level with advancing technology.

Now, it's widely recognized that diesels are killers, even with filtration. It appears that even small additions to the carbon particulates in the atmosphere results in more people dying. There apparently is no "safe" limit.

I think that diesels are about done in the US. And you and I probably are among the last generation to watch a major-scale open quenching of coke.

I hope that you're able to reach a clear conclusion about the health effects people have suffered up there.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:29:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 8:43:58 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus22750 wrote:

I think "we" went into pouring the form and then machine out the final.

But cast is not as strong as forged, no?

Cast is not as strong as forged.

I can still remember seeing anchor chain being drop forged in the navy shipyard in Boston in about 1954 or 1955.

Dan

Theres big presses and little presses

https://goo.gl/photos/SSfbczRwjsEtCwyN7

https://goo.gl/photos/hEKGca9vzDenPvwU9

https://goo.gl/photos/HFDU4HjLTZo7wD9YA

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lufkin Industries here in town used to make lots of gears from scratch.
The biggest one I saw on a truck was on a special heavy duty truck that
their truck division (put out of work by another company using prison
workers) used to make Lufkin Trailers and some of those were custom.

The trailer/gear was oversized. It was for a cargo ship that snapped
a couple teeth off. It was in a gear box that took power from a monster
engine. The trailer was almost two lanes wide. Foundry poured it and
then the special vertical lathes cleaned it up then to the
precision hob shop and balance after that. The Gear box shop fixed
boxes for air handlers to monster stuff.

They are no longer around - GE bought them with a promise to put
millions into the plant. Several months later the contents were for
sale. Ge thanks killing the last Big industry in town GE. I think the
gear shop is still open - balancing and repair. New York division shut
down this year. Alabama has some the last I heard. Lufkin Pumps were
half the size as the typical pump. Many are in the LA basin and Texas
basins.....

Large paper mill, Texas Foundry, Lufkin Industries to name a few.

Martin